Light weight battery ?

noobinacan

Anyone gone to them yet ? which ones ?
are they worth it, the extra little bit of oomph ? Handling help ?
How much maintenance for track only bike ? I guess needs to be hooked up to trickle charger if not used for a few weeks ?

edit: also, which makes me think, want to set it up as quick connect/disconnect charging setup. ideas ?

Bike is stock, not running power commander or anything...
Just a gear indicator.

I'm looking at two...that are about same price.
Ballistic performance: http://www.ballisticparts.com/
http://www.fullspectrumpower.com/

others ?

thanks

Chip

I've got a Shorai in my RC51. It starts stronger than a lead acid, and has sat for over a month with no battery tender and fired right up. Just over 1lb, I love it:D

rac_wv

Negative on the trickle charger. They only need stored in a dry climate controlled area while disconnected from the bike. Should only lose about 1% of charge over the winter. If it needs recharging, you need to use some kind of special charger. Apparently, trickle chargers can make it go BOOM!

Gorecki

noobinacan;213423 wrote:
edit: also, which makes me think, want to set it up as quick connect/disconnect charging setup. ideas ?
Even the Tender Jr comes with a hard wire and connector. I have mine fed under the seat and zipties internally coming out through the tail section. Plug n Play.... ;)

Matt

They're great, but don't ever let them die. a very small number of deep discharge cycles and they're toast.

I gave up on the lithium lightweight cells and picked up a jump start pack battery from batteries plus. Its about half the weight of a regular battery and the best part is it was only $20. Still regular lead/acid. I also disconnect after each event to prevent discharges.

Chip

rac_wv;213435 wrote: Negative on the trickle charger. They only need stored in a dry climate controlled area while disconnected from the bike. Should only lose about 1% of charge over the winter. If it needs recharging, you need to use some kind of special charger. Apparently, trickle chargers can make it go BOOM!
Shorai recommends their charger, but says any lead/acid charger with voltage under 14.4V and no anti-sulfation routine can be used.

noobinacan

Thanks for the info guys..

Matt;213451 wrote: They're great, but don't ever let them die. a very small number of deep discharge cycles and they're toast.

I gave up on the lithium lightweight cells and picked up a jump start pack battery from batteries plus. Its about half the weight of a regular battery and the best part is it was only $20. Still regular lead/acid. I also disconnect after each event to prevent discharges.

Do you happen to have the part # or rating of the battery you got ?
I tried to look on the batteries plus website and could not find it...

thanks

fitz

I just picked up one of these for $140. (make an offer... to the ebay seller)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170690267521

Matt sounds like he has some experience when it comes to dead batteries but I have found that any type of battery discharged too many times will kill it, sometimes it only takes once (I know), the kicker I supose is the fact these cost 3+ times more.

Also if you are buying the 4 cell and those degrade from limited discharges there wouldn't be a lot left to start your bike.

:dunno:

fitz

Edit: I'm not selling the battery, what I meant was if you make an offer to the seller on ebay you can get it a few bucks cheaper.

Lonewrench

call me at Performance Cycleworx 770-479-0044 We are a SpeedCell distributor and will give you a great deal on a great product.

Dieselboy

Here's mine. No problems starting my R6.

Moty.jpg

eE jeremy

Your charging system will idle the bike, so any battery is fine.

I have the impact manufacturing battery, like it a lot.

Dieselboy

It'll idle all day long. Just have to pull it at night and keep it warm, the smaller lithium iron phosphate batt's don't work well when they're cold.

Matt

noobinacan;213467 wrote: Thanks for the info guys..

Do you happen to have the part # or rating of the battery you got ?
I tried to look on the batteries plus website and could not find it...

thanks

i don't see it on their site either.

it's 12V, a little larger than my fist, has two male tabs on the top and was $20.

It looks very similar to this one but is all black..
http://www.batteriesplus.com/product/30311-PS--1250F2-Powersonic-Battery-12V-5Ah-with-F2-Terminal/569-0/3832-UPS-Batteries/16314-APC-(American-Power-Conversion)/BackUPS-BR900.aspx

I'm thinking that one would work fine as well.

fitz

Just got me my new battery and stuck it in the bike, the OEM when you compare it to these new batteries is really one HEAVY hunk of lead. Seems kind of crazy when the engineers go through so much trouble trying to save weight in the frame and motor with lightweight metals and design, and then stick a square block of lead in it.

fitz

Gorecki

^^^ Well these light weight batteries are relatively new all and all, right? Wouldn't be shocked if they work their way into OE spec's on performance machines. :dunno:

I'm not willing to pony up for one yet, too rich for my cheap ass. ;)

fitz

Gorecki;214071 wrote: ^^^ Well these light weight batteries are relatively new all and all, right? Wouldn't be shocked if they work their way into OE spec's on performance machines. :dunno:

I'm not willing to pony up for one yet, too rich for my cheap ass. ;)
I hear ya, if I didn't need a new one I wouldn't have bought one.

I think it will be a long time before we see these batteries as OEM in our sport bikes, lead is cheap, lithium on the other hand...:dunno:

fitz