Little Talley in August

trackrat963

Just signed up for the weekend at Talladega GP, August 15-16. I haven't done a track day in a couple of years, had some health issues last year. Looking forward to riding "Little Talley" that weekend.
Who else is going, and as this will be my first time on the Talley, any thoughts, suggestions, insights to pass along to a returning novice?
Thanks,
Rob

imadraver

Make Every Moment Matter!
Control Rider
Awesome! Haven't heard from you in a while, so it will be great to catch up with you again. I'm looking forward to this event as well. I'll be glad to work with you and help you dust off any cobwebs! This track is actually where a lot of pros come to practice techniques since it offers a little bit of everything in a small and affordable package.

Romans Eight

Control Rider
Director
I will be there as well. It's an awesome track for new riders as well, due to the lower speeds and less turns to learn. My suggestion is to try a little extra cardio and hydration so as not to tire easily. Tough to learn much when you're battling fatigue. Also, getting a fresh suspension check up never hurt a trackday rider!

Heck, I practically live at Little Tally. Probably turned at least 5000 laps there both track days and racing since it's only about an hour from my house. I'll def be there and can give/get you all the tools you'll need to have a lot of fun. It's a short track and it will work you so being in decent shape is the key. All left handers (except one tight right), lots of grip, and will wear out the left side of most race tires pretty good. It will be hot so prepare accordingly both before and during the event. They sell race fuel on site and have good showers. We will provide a vendor for tire service and to take pictures. Not a ton of electricity available (track charges for electricity) but new management is doing some solid work getting the facilities upgraded. They do have a good concession stand there as well. Gates close at 10 each night and open up again around 6:30/7:00 each morning ($5 per person gate fee charged by the track). Bring sunscreen, bug spray, and tie downs - the mosquitos at night have been known to fly off with a bike or two!

Registration/Tech each morning from 7-8. Mandatory riders meeting at 8:15. Advanced out first at 9, followed by Intermediate at 9:20 then Novice at 9:40. Lunch on Saturday is from 12-1. Sunday lunch is combined with church quiet time from 11-12. Seven sessions each day (Sat - 3 in AM 4 in PM, Sun - 2 in AM 5 in PM). Gates open at 5pm on Friday.

HJ

NH_to_MS

Hi Rob. I'm signed up for Saturday as my first ever track day, so I will be joining you in the novice group also. I'm really looking forward to this event and getting to meet some new people and learn a lot about track riding. Really hoping to rub some of the shine off my new knee pucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trackrat963

Looking forward to meeting everyone, sharpening the skill set, and having a great weekend. Thanks for the advice, all will be heeded.

NH_to_MS

What is the recommendation for tire air pressure, or how does that work at the track? Should I bring my small compressor, or just fill my tires to max pressure and let them off to track pressure on that day?

trackrat963

Seems like, when I did my last track day back in July of 2013, one of the control riders suggested I run about 25 psi front and rear, for more contact patch and hence better traction. Probably wouldn't hurt to bring it along, to fine tune your psi throughout the day if nec. Since you brought it up, I might throw mine in the back of the truck as well.
What will you be riding?

What is the recommendation for tire air pressure, or how does that work at the track? Should I bring my small compressor, or just fill my tires to max pressure and let them off to track pressure on that day?

Depends on the tire to be honest. Less than recommended pressure may not provide the desired effect of bigger contact patch. Traction is the key and air pressure is a huge part of that setup. Be a good idea to bring a full air tank if you have room (most pits will have one or an air compressor) as temperaure also plays a big part in maintaining a good inflated tire.

HJ

NH_to_MS

I will be riding my daily driver which is a 2003 Buell xb9r running Pirelli Diablo tires. My rear tire will probably be at about 50% worn by 8/15 and I will have to put on a new front before then. It's about 80-90% gone now.

trackrat963

Man, the Buell XB9r, what a cool bike! I look forward to seeing it, and even more, hearing it!
Thanks for the word re: tire pressures and temps, HJ. Good advice. Will do as well.

NH_to_MS

Trackrat963, what do you ride? I can't quite tell from your avatar.

I like the handling of the buell, looking forward to leaning it over on the track. The large flywheel takes some getting used to when pushing it and downshifting before a turn. And it is not real fast. I get into the rev limiter often when getting after it. Probably gonna get blown down by a entry level ninja or cbr. But it does sound cool.

trackrat963

I ride a '99 Triumph Sprint ST 955i. Had it several years. Kinda heavy for the track, being originally a sport tourer. Love the sound of its growling triple tho. No worries about getting "blown" by anything else out there. I'm not as fast as most even in the novice class, but I like working on skills, and let speed come with time. It'll be a good weekend.

NH_to_MS

Nice bike. I like triumphs a lot. I had a 2002 955i Daytona for a couple of years that I bought new. I should have kept that bike. Mine was built after the factory fire, so it had the conventional swing arm. I look forward to meeting you in August.

David Brown

I am signed up. Have done Pridmore School at VIR. What is the story on camping at Talladega? Presume that is at the track. Is there other lodging nearby?

Not really close by. Oxford, Alabama would be about 10 miles away and they have several hotels. Camping at Tally is a mixed bag. They have paved RV big rig spots with 30/50amp power, paved spots with limited power for smaller rigs/trailers, and grassy areas with limited power for others. Spots are first come first served and track charges for power use.