Looking for a good trailer dealer.

rxpusher

Hi all, I'm looking for a enclosed trailer dealer located close to NYC that you guys can recommend that won't rip me off? Thanks all.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Performance Trailers, Flanders, NJ. http://www.traileroutlet.com/
Not sure if they're the closest to you, maybe someone else will chime in with something closer to the city. I've dealt with them for years, good guys. They will be at the motorcycle show at the Javits center later this month if you want to check them out there.

rxpusher

Fastguy;166719 wrote: Curious. What will be your tow vehicle?
2003 Toyota Prius. think that it can tow a enclosed trailer... :notsure:

I'm towing with a 2007 Acura MDX actually.

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
With that tow vehicle, definitely opt for trailer brakes and possibly a weight distributing hitch. I think one of the CR's, Matt H on the boards, uses this to tow as well. Shoot him a PM as I am sure he would be happy to give you his opinion... May want to consider an aluminum trailer as well.

Fastguy

rxpusher;166727 wrote: 2003 Toyota Prius. think that it can tow a enclosed trailer... :notsure:

I'm towing with a 2007 Acura MDX actually.
With the Prius, you'll get great gas mileage while towing that trailer.

Just becareful . . . you may be just a tid over the Prius' towing limit. ;)

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Actually, what's the tow limit on the MDX? I'm thinking you'd be pretty close to it...definitely look into a lighter, aluminum trailer.

rxpusher

HondaGalToo;166758 wrote: Actually, what's the tow limit on the MDX? I'm thinking you'd be pretty close to it...definitely look into a lighter, aluminum trailer.
5000 lbs, they upgraded it when they put out the 2007 model.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
rxpusher;166798 wrote: 5000 lbs, they upgraded it when they put out the 2007 model.
That would've been my guess. See what the curb weight of the trailer is, plus 2 bikes and all your gear. You don't want it to be close to 5000 lb, the max tow weight of your vehicle, as there's other things to consider, like wind drag. The tow rate on my truck is 9000 lb, but I'd never attempt to actually tow 9000 lb with it...

rxpusher

HondaGalToo;166801 wrote: That would've been my guess. See what the curb weight of the trailer is, plus 2 bikes and all your gear. You don't want it to be close to 5000 lb, the max tow weight of your vehicle, as there's other things to consider, like wind drag. The tow rate on my truck is 9000 lb, but I'd never attempt to actually tow 9000 lb with it...
yeah, I hear you, the thing is that the max hitch they make for a MDX is a class 3, which is only rated to 4000 lbs. the featherlites are nice, but at 6k, it's a bit outta my range at this point.

jfmgsxr750

tow vechicle

I was towing 2 seasons ago with a mazda cx-7 with had a tow rate of only 2000. I have a 5x8 alum enclosed trailer that weighed 700. So with 2 bikes (900) and gear maybe 200, I was at 1800 lbs. I would burn a tank of gas going down to NJMP and a tank coming back from NJMP. I am 3 1/2 hrs from there. For the 2010 season I got a nissan murano which can tow up to 3500 lbs. My gas mileage was much better. It took a half tank going and half tank coimng back. So my gas bill was cut in half!!! Like was said earleir, the weight of the trailer and the bikes and gear are very important when considering your tow vechicle.;)

Rydell

If you can find the means of getting one from NC, for a 6x12 I know a dealer where you can shave off more than 1k from what you're expecting. Even more if you can pick it up from the warehouse in GA.

ct1200

I just bought a Trailer in A Bag.
Not used it yet but I did put it together.
Seems pretty good to me, best thing is when I'm done, pull it apart and store it inside.
And if you are in NYC, that might be a big + for ya.

Going to be towing with a Mazda so I need as light as I could get.

ontheR6

ct1200;183152 wrote: I just bought a Trailer in A Bag.
Not used it yet but I did put it together.
Seems pretty good to me, best thing is when I'm done, pull it apart and store it inside.
And if you are in NYC, that might be a big + for ya.

Going to be towing with a Mazda so I need as light as I could get.
I used a trailer in a bag for 2 seasons and it served me very well despite all the abuse i put it through, towed it with a yaris!:wow:
I recently sold it and got an enclosed trailer.

It it really easy to tow and gets great gas mileage, u hardly know ur towing.
Lots of positive things to say about it, lots.

Cons:
Security concerns while traveling to out of state tracks
U can only tow he bike with it and nothing else, all the track gear needs to be in the car. (ramp, stands, canopy, tools, leathers etc...)
It bounces around a little on bumps.
Not the prettiest thing in the world.
A little tricky to load and unload the bike, there is a chance of dropping the bike (i dropped mine once unloading it in the 2 seasons i used it)

Did u get the model with the condor chock?

if u have any questions regarding the trailer feel free to ask.
Enjoy it!

ct1200

Ya had to do the Condor, can't see y not, takes most of the issues out of play.
And I got the 2 bike version just incase someone might want to tag along, or even a Daytona trip someday.

For any apt ppl this thing is great.
I have a few ideas on adding like a truck tool box to carry a few items.
An a good cable lock will help with security, but those who really want it will take it.
Thx for the info tho!

ontheR6

ct1200;183182 wrote: Ya had to do the Condor, can't see y not, takes most of the issues out of play.
And I got the 2 bike version just incase someone might want to tag along, or even a Daytona trip someday.

For any apt ppl this thing is great.
I have a few ideas on adding like a truck tool box to carry a few items.
An a good cable lock will help with security, but those who really want it will take it.
Thx for the info tho!
The condor is awesome, made my life much easier when i added it to it.
Just watch out for the tire sticking to the condor and making it hard to roll the bike off, that's how i dropped the bike. Track tires r soft and kinda get stuck in the chock, u have to pull really hard to release it.

matt2212

You don't want it to be close to 5000 lb, the max tow weight of your vehicle, as there's other things to consider, like wind drag. The tow rate on my truck is 9000 lb, but I'd never attempt to actually tow 9000 lb with it...
Why, the vehicle is rated for the weight and is built with a margin of error for safety. the manufactures warranty there vehicles to tow this amount and would not do so if it was not capable of doing it safely. Also wind drag is almost the same if your trailer is 1500 empty or 5000 lbs loaded, the walls on an enclosed trailer produce the same resistance.
I have towed many boats that are close to the 9000 lb limit of my truck for thousands of miles and never had a problem. You just have to be capable of adjusting your driving accordingly, don't expect to do 85 in the left lane while at the upper end of your vehicles weight recommendation. Also make sure your trailer is properly balanced (10 % of weight on the tongue) and that your hitch can handle the trailer tongue and overall weight and you will not have a problem. again just be mindful of what you are towing...