Looking for GSXR-750 (track only)

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
I'm interested in finding a GSXR-750. I've been riding an older R6, and as a bigger guy the GSXR feels a little less "cramped". If you've got one that is looking for a new home, please let me know. I'd consider a street bike to build for the track, but would prefer to find something that I don't need to start from scratch with. Age, etc depends on the backstory on the bike. I appreciate any help.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
OK, believe it or not but a kind guy who is apparently friends with Todd already got back to me and things seemed to have worked out remarkably well. Tentatively I'll have yet another bike in my stable as of this Saturday!

AdamG14

I'm looking to purchase my first bike for the track soon and I too am a larger guy at 6'2" and 195 lbs. Mind if I ask what has you cramped on the 600? I've wondered if the 750 would be a better fit but I'm somewhat concerned about the power just starting out on the track.

Motofun352

Control Rider
I may be able to help as well. I have a track only '05 GSXR 750 to sell. All the usual upgrades. Check the MC's for sale section.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Adam, please take anything from me with a huge grain of salt. I'm probably one of the least experienced folks on this forum, having just started riding bikes on the track last year with N2. I'm 6'2",about 215, and am long waisted. I've been riding bikes for more than 40 yrs both on and off road (motocross, hare scramble, etc). I got suckered into this addition by an obviously brain damaged friend (Mannix) and his evil sidekick (Musky). I started with the R6 because another friend gave me the bike to use so I wouldn't destroy one of my street bikes. Free is good.

I'm really glad I started with the R6. It's an awesome bike, and is obviously capable to be far faster than I can ride it. But, it's an '05 and the riding position with the tail section coming straight up behind the seat forces me to be really tight on the bike. Plus, at 215 without my gear, I am constantly wringing that R6 motor for all it's worth - ESPECIALLY with the new elevation changes at places like PittRace full. I had the opportunity to ride my brain damaged friends GSXR750 for a session on Sunday, and I found it far easier to move around on the bike, and my braking was even more effective for corner entry because I didn't feel so forced "forward" under heavy braking. The torque curve on the 750 made gear selection easier, and I could concentrate more on body position, etc and less about making sure I was ALWAYS between 10000-14000rpm. I think if I weighed 40lbs less, and was a few inches shorter, I would absolutely stick with the R6. As for too much power right off the bat, I'm the wrong person to ask.

My advice is to find a couple other "friends" at the next event you're going to and take a couple laps to see where you're comfortable. Better yet, find one of the CRs that really have great body position, and have them take a look at you on a couple bikes with you getting off the bike and in a tuck. See how it feels. One thing I know for sure - 99% of everything on the track ain't the bike.

BTW, while I will maintain to the death that my friends are brain damaged and evil, they're good guys and I owe them for helping me to stay alive on the track and learn a little bit :)

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
Ride what you're comfortable with, I'm 250lbs and ride an 09 R6. It took a little while to get used to (coming from a GSXR 750) but now it feels really natural.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Agree with Emerson..I'm 5'9" and 240lbs. I switched to a 2011 R6 last year, and it took most of last season to get used to the bike, but I'm having a tremendous time now on the Yamaha.

AdamG14

Thanks guys, appreciate all the input! Look forward to seeing you at a track soon. Planning to do an Intro group at Talladega GP in August.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Sounds like you're good to go, the 2011 and above is a little more compact than the previous models. Although it is a GSXR, you'll need time to get used to it. Nice bike though!! And yes it comes down to rider preference...

Hix25

Emerson and D-Zum, what changes have you made to your R6's, if any? I'm 6'2 and 205 lbs and feel a bit cramped on my 2010 R6. I did my 1st trackday at pitt on 7/18, so I am still new to the track but have been trying to think of what I can do to open up the bike a bit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Jim, I feel for you. At 6'2" but with a long torso, I need to be more flexible than most. You truly have it tough in that regard!

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
My suit fitment isn't terrible. Shoulders are tight especially until the suit breaks in, but not awful.

Here's an older pic of Big Jim on his bike.....

the-biggest-motorcycle-in-the-world-which-weights-5-tons6.jpg

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I ride a 2005 R1. As far as suits go, off the rack is out of the question. I had a suit made by Barnacle Bill back in 2008 that I am still wearing. If you see it, you will sees why they had to kill a herd of cattle to make it.!

chidadog

I've got an 06 07 750. Pretty much stock but has Shark plastics on it. Salvage title. If interested shoot me a message