Looking for opinions

Hix25

I know this subject comes up time and time again, on forums all over the web, but I'm going to ask again anyway... I would like to pick up a dedicated track bike over the winter and not sure which way to go?

Some History, I am 6'2, 205lbs and 30 yrs old. I am new to trackdays (1st one at pittrace in July, be there again Aug. 29th).

I have been riding dirtbikes since I was 10, bought my 1st streetbike in 2010(R6, which I am currently bringing to track), then a CBR 1000 a few years later. I am not new to riding motorcycles just new to riding on road courses. I love my R6 the way it sits and would rather not risk possibly bringing it home in boxes, plus I had so much fun at my 1st event that I definitely plan on doing as many trackdays as possible.

I have a few ideas as to what I might like, but I am interested to see if someone throws out something I haven't thought of. One last thing, I have never been much of a high revving type of rider and v-twins sound appealing( I have never ridden one), but wouldn't be against another inline.

erick1670

Alone the lines you thinking... A Suzuki SV600 would be good for you or get other R6 for track duty since that is your street ride and that's where you are confy.

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Triumph's and Ducati's are nice too...:D

Seriously though, I have spent a number of years trying out different makes and models. An R6 makes a great track bike and since there are so many of them out there parts are plentiful. Same goes for the Gixxer line of bikes. Personally, I have been running a 675R for the last few years. I have been real happy with it. Good balance of torque and horsepower. Also, I recently got an 848 out on the track and I love that too! Great power but a completely different feel since it's a twin.

It really all depends on your budget. Get an idea of how much you are willing to spend and start digging around for options. Lots to choose from out there.

Hix25

budget is about $5,000, maybe a little more. First I was thinking a GSX-R 750, then I started thinking an SV650 since so many guys say they are great for those new to the track. I think personally I would benefit from something that has better low to mid range than the 600's. That's why I was initially considering the 750, but then thought maybe I should look at twins. I have been racking my brain for weeks trying to figure out what to start looking for and don't want to spend the money on one bike then be thinking in the back of my mind I should've got something different. So I am just trying to gather as much insight and information as possible.

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
Since you already own an r6, I would get a second one just in case you ever need to borrow a part from the other bike. Pm me I have a few r6 for sale

Last edited:

Hix25

Well, I am not looking to buy immediately, but within the next few months. I will definitely keep Emerson in mind.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Emerson's your point man on a solid track bike, and spare parts.

BTW....5'9" 240lbs on an R6 here, too. I too have two R6's.

Hix25

I love my R6, it's fun to ride and also a dream to work on compared to my Honda. It also makes sense to get something I'm already familiar with, but it's always fun to try something different too.

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
I love my R6, it's fun to ride and also a dream to work on compared to my Honda. It also makes sense to get something I'm already familiar with, but it's always fun to try something different too.

Watch any MotoAmerica, WERA, CCS or even your next trackday, look around the paddock and see what everyone is riding. You'll notice most are the R6. There's a reason for that......

Hix25

This is true, I saw quite a few R6's at Pitt last month and yamaha has dominated AMA/Moto America for years now.

Hix25

When started looking for my 1st street bike 5yrs ago, I went with the yamaha because I felt it was the best of the 600 class.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
When started looking for my 1st street bike 5yrs ago, I went with the yamaha because I felt it was the best of the 600 class.

Nothing's changed.

Hix25

I appreciate all the responses. I have to admit, when I started this thread, another R6 hadn't even crossed my mind. The 848 would be cool, just a bit too expensive to own a Ducati I would think. The R6 seems like the logical choice. Thanks for the input everyone.