looking for someone to weld an engine case

bronsonj

I broke the hole for my oil pressure sender. I'm hoping I can get it fixed in place - maybe weld a bolt in the hole & seal it up. Anybody know somebody who can do it? I live in Gaithersburg, MD.

madriders86

I'm in a similar situation. You might try a local radiator repair shop. That's what I'm doing. The metals are similar so they should be able to do it.

speedfree

Be careful! Welding on your engine in place has a number of pitfalls. The two to be most concerned with are the threat of current passing through your main/ rod bearings and spot- welding them (bad), and also your electronics are in jeopardy any time you hook up current enough to weld to your motorcycle.
I would at least remove the engine from the frame, if it were mine. If you're not willing to do that, make sure to disconnect the ECU, gauge cluster, and battery.

-from my pimped-out Droid.

Mikey75702

Go talk to RAM cycles in gude drive in rockville.... see if they can do anything for you, or recommend something.

JonnyZ!

If you can't find local solution. I can do it for you. Just gotta bring it up to me. Take a picture of the problem and I should be able to give you an idea if it can be done. If I think it can be done, it'll Just cost you the gas to bring it up. (In today's market, that's a bit of an investment.). I'm at 19505

Mikey75702

dbarufaldi;175874 wrote: JB Weld is your friend....
Please don't..... all you need is someone to jb weld a hole that has pressurized oil in it.... then the jb weld let's go while someone is following them into turn 1...... could be disastrous for absolutely no reason.

dbarufaldi

Mikey75702;175875 wrote: Please don't..... all you need is someone to jb weld a hole that has pressurized oil in it.... then the jb weld let's go while someone is following them into turn 1...... could be disastrous for absolutely no reason.
Hmmmm.......damn good point, that. I thought it was no longer a pressurized passage since it was broken out, and he just wanted to plug it, but obviously it could be.

I would still do it if it weren't in a pressure passage....regular positive crankcase pressure should not be an issue - assuming I could get a good purchase on a clean, dry surface, etc.

Mikey75702

dbarufaldi;175879 wrote: Hmmmm.......damn good point, that. I thought it was no longer a pressurized passage since it was broken out, and he just wanted to plug it, but obviously it could be.

I would still do it if it weren't in a pressure passage....regular positive crankcase pressure should not be an issue - assuming I could get a good purchase on a clean, dry surface, etc.
bronsonj;175774 wrote:
I broke the hole for my oil pressure sender.
He said he broke the hole for the oil pressure sender.... that's a full pressure oil port.

bronsonj

A friend recommended jb weld, lots of people swear by it, but I don't want to be THAT guy who crashed himself & a bunch of other people even if the chances are remote.