loose rivets on rotors

LUCKEDUCK

Hey everyone, I'm posting this for a buddy he has a question about his track bike he just bought. It is a 2000 gsxr 750 and the thing he is worried about is his brake rotors, the thing is the rivets seem to be loose making it able to jiggle the rotor from side to side.. Is it safe?? And will it pass tech?? Thanks for any help!! By the way this is the second gsxr 750 I've seen do this... Do all of the 750s do this??? Thanks again

Ol El Pablo

condon66;76206 wrote: That is exactly how it is designed. Hence the term "Floating rotors." There is nothing wrong.
Although I strongly agree with this statement, I really think the rotors should be looked at (by someone pretty tech savvy) before showing up for a track day. The reason I say this is the rotor rivets on my '99 GSXR 600 were really worn out. I had to pick up new rotors for it and the difference is night and day. You could wiggle the old rotors a bit front to rear (spin direction) on the carriers!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Are they the stock rotors, or were they replaced with aftermarket full-floating rotors? Full floaters should work as you describe, they rattle back and forth. My Ducati had them. If they're the stock rotors, then they are semi-floating and the buttons should not be loose. On my '07 gsxr, that happened on one side, all the buttons became loose after only a year. In addition to rattling back and forth (side to side), there was also front to back movement that full floaters don't have, that's not normal. I had the rotor replaced under the extended warranty, it shouldn't be like that. I've heard that some folks break out the curved washer that's behind the buttons, to turn the stock rotors into full-floaters, something I personally feel isn't a great idea; the previous owner may have done that. See if there is a curved washer behind the rotor buttons.

LUCKEDUCK

HondaGalToo;76242 wrote: Are they the stock rotors, or were they replaced with aftermarket full-floating rotors? Full floaters should work as you describe, they rattle back and forth. My Ducati had them. If they're the stock rotors, then they are semi-floating and the buttons should not be loose. On my '07 gsxr, that happened on one side, all the buttons became loose after only a year. In addition to rattling back and forth (side to side), there was also front to back movement that full floaters don't have, that's not normal. I had the rotor replaced under the extended warranty, it shouldn't be like that. I've heard that some folks break out the curved washer that's behind the buttons, to turn the stock rotors into full-floaters, something I personally feel isn't a great idea; the previous owner may have done that. See if there is a curved washer behind the rotor buttons.
Well they are ebc rotors so maybe they might be full floaters ill have him check the play in them to make sure they just go side to side and not front to back... Thanks again

LUCKEDUCK

well he checked them and they do go just side to side!! so i guess we are good to go!! see yall at vir on the 24th!!!

Snow

Next time your at a SE event go find Derek Leslie(Our SE tire guy) and when he's not busy and before 1:00PM ask if you can give his front wheel a spin while his bike is sitting on his front stand. When you give his front wheel a spin it sounds like you are shaking a tin can fun of nuts and bolts, and it sounds this way on purpose. He intentionally loosens the rivets on his rotors, it's one of many old tricks that helps the front wheel to spin more freely.