Loud exhausts are STUPID

BillFred

OK, I know I sound like an old man here, but all you people with loud pipes on your street bikes, give it a rest.

I'm sitting here on my spring break in Florida with my family and I'm having to listen to all these annoying loud bikes drive by. They are mostly of the cruiser persuasion, but there is some nasty D & D pipes mixed in there too.

Sorry, that's all. Maybe I should just turn down my hearing aid:doh:

Chip

We had a guy buy a leftover '07 R1 the other day, and his 1st request was for us to gut the stock exhaust. I tried in vain to sell him some slip-on's. Said they weren't loud enough:banghead: For what we charged him to hollow his cans out he could of at least gotten stainless Yoshi slip ons. So, alas, a brand new R1 left our shop with straight pipes and a rider in T-shirt and shorts:doh:

jimgl3

loud exhaust doesn't bother me. i can't stand the cars / trucks with so much bass that you can feel your fillings vibrating loose from your teeth from the next county

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
hahahah....you need to recognize where you are at my friend....that's all the floridians have to do...think about it.....12 months of riding....on very straight roads....what else are ya gonna do except stretch/lower/get a loud exhaust?? that or stunt

BillFred

snikwad;42495 wrote: dont hate cause u wanna go ride too :)
Good one, that made me smile. :haha: There is some thruth to that, but my idea of riding isn't reving my bike as loud as possible as I'm sitting in a line of traffic along the beach blvd.

Oh well, I guess everyone's gotta have there thing. They probably all laugh at us in our Power ranger suits on our "crotch rockets" going in circles around a track.

rk97

at least on a trackbike, the loud exhaust (usually) serves a purpose... On the street, I don't like the loud exhausts either. My brother's bike has ridiculously loud "F1" cans, and I find myself short-shifting and bogging his bike to keep it quiet(er).

I got to ride to work on St. Patty's day, and in the parking lot after work, the lady parked next to me covered her ears when I went to start my bike (a bone-stock EX500...).

she actually commented about how shocked she was that a motorcycle could be so quiet, and we chatted for a few minutes about how most bikes are pretty quiet from the factory, but people buy a new pipe before they even own a helmet...

"loud pipes saves lives?" my ass. "loud pipes annoy neighbors." now there's a T-shirt that'll get you beat up in Daytona!

riddler

My 98 R1 has a slip on that isn't too loud and sounds pretty cool. Got it in my pre-track riding days. I swear I had to get it though. The 98 R1 had a huge can and was so quiet you couldn't hear it at all. Its a track only bike anyway now.

My 05 R1 looks and sounds great bone stock. Makes a cool sound and it isn't too loud, and looks good. Wouldn't waste track time money changing those stock cans out.

Although the 09 R1 - I think the look of the tails and pipes is horrible. Probably would change the pipes for cosmetic, not sound purposes.

my .02

BonesDT

hank;42533 wrote: A Harley running straight pipes is just wrong in so so many ways.... :argh::banghead:
jsin38;42598 wrote: You said Harley and running in the same sentence:haha:
nocerus03;42641 wrote:
+1:haha:
Wait, why are you guys bashing Harleys? Do they have a lot of mechanical problems or something?

I was actually going to contribute and say Harleys are the only engines (car or motorcycle) that should ever run straight pipes. Harley engines are the only engines that have the most beautiful natural sound. By natural, I mean it's sound come straight from the heart of it's combustion, rather than altering the sound waves in the exhaust.

My theory is, if you have a sportbike, or a honda, or a V8 truck with straight pipes on it, the general population will throw tomatoes at you. However, if you roll up to a stop light with a Harley with a loud exhaust, chances are, even the old conservative lady won't mind. Harley's have a deep throaty sound with no hints of the raspy, resonating sound that hurts our ear drums.

I don't have a Harley yet. I'm waiting another 20 something years when I can grow a long white beard and I need a cane to walk and I'm too crippled to hunch over a sportbike and lean it on the track, then I'm going to get a Harley. (my girlfriend admires how I'm the only one in the world that is actually looking forward to getting old)

nrcooled

BonesDT;42811 wrote: Wait, why are you guys bashing Harleys? Do they have a lot of mechanical problems or something?

I was actually going to contribute and say Harleys are the only engines (car or motorcycle) that should ever run straight pipes. Harley engines are the only engines that have the most beautiful natural sound. By natural, I mean it's sound come straight from the heart of it's combustion, rather than altering the sound waves in the exhaust.

My theory is, if you have a sportbike, or a honda, or a V8 truck with straight pipes on it, the general population will throw tomatoes at you. However, if you roll up to a stop light with a Harley with a loud exhaust, chances are, even the old conservative lady won't mind. Harley's have a deep throaty sound with no hints of the raspy, resonating sound that hurts our ear drums.

I don't have a Harley yet. I'm waiting another 20 something years when I can grow a long white beard and I need a cane to walk and I'm too crippled to hunch over a sportbike and lean it on the track, then I'm going to get a Harley. (my girlfriend admires how I'm the only one in the world that is actually looking forward to getting old)
This is sarcasm...right?

I won't touch the reliability thing with Harley's but as for the douchebag riders that think a straight pipe is necessary I want to smack the shit out of them. It doesn't sound good and the fact that, in the city, I can hear you 5 blocks away is ridiculous.

It's very annoying and insanely loud. Straight Pipes have been proven by studies (which I'm looking for now) to not do a single thing to prevent accidents. The majority of motorcycle/car accidents are due to a car pulling out in front of a biker or merging into a biker. None of which will be helped by loud pipes since the decibel level is significantly reduced from the front.

physicistkev

Control Rider
Tee Hee

"Hardly Abelson"

My favorite nickname. I work with a bunch of guys that ride Hardly's. They are nice and most have no problems, but I can't pass up the opportunity to rattle them a little.

nrcooled;42815 wrote: This is sarcasm...right?

I won't touch the reliability thing with Harley's but as for the douchebag riders that think a straight pipe is necessary I want to smack the shit out of them. It doesn't sound good and the fact that, in the city, I can hear you 5 blocks away is ridiculous.

It's very annoying and insanely loud. Straight Pipes have been proven by studies (which I'm looking for now) to not do a single thing to prevent accidents. The majority of motorcycle/car accidents are due to a car pulling out in front of a biker or merging into a biker. None of which will be helped by loud pipes since the decibel level is significantly reduced from the front.
Pretty sure it is sarcasm. Made me laugh:haha:.

Anyway, the statistic you’re thinking of is 50% of motorcycle accidents are at intersections, the other vehicle usually makes a left hand turn in front of the bike. The other 40-45 % of motorcycle accidents is a result of the motorcyclist failing to negotiate a turn. The last 10-15 % is either being rear-ended, deer/ animals, mattress flies off mini-van…the weird stuff.

I think it’s a NHSTA statistic and the old Hurt report reflects these stats too. Sorry I can’t remember, but I don’t have my MSF Rider Coach guide at work. But I’ve taught it enough to remember.

The LOUD pipes have gotten to be too much. It’s funny, you cover these stats in class and when the “Do loud pipes saves lives”? thing comes up there is always some moron from the orange and black cult in the group who tries to hang on that it’s true. I keep calm and cool but lay down the gauntlet to find the study or proof loud pipes do.

Three years of coaching and I’m still patiently waiting for that information…

BZ

WHERE'S TIM

Hey , come on with the Harley stuff .They say 90% of all Harleys are still on the road today.......... the other 10% made it home ! : :D:D

steve hale

Like loud pipes

Bubba Zanetti;42844 wrote: Pretty sure it is sarcasm. Made me laugh:haha:.

Anyway, the statistic you’re thinking of is 50% of motorcycle accidents are at intersections, the other vehicle usually makes a left hand turn in front of the bike. The other 40-45 % of motorcycle accidents is a result of the motorcyclist failing to negotiate a turn. The last 10-15 % is either being rear-ended, deer/ animals, mattress flies off mini-van…the weird stuff.

I think it’s a NHSTA statistic and the old Hurt report reflects these stats too. Sorry I can’t remember, but I don’t have my MSF Rider Coach guide at work. But I’ve taught it enough to remember.

The LOUD pipes have gotten to be too much. It’s funny, you cover these stats in class and when the “Do loud pipes saves lives”? thing comes up there is always some moron from the orange and black cult in the group who tries to hang on that it’s true. I keep calm and cool but lay down the gauntlet to find the study or proof loud pipes do.

Three years of coaching and I’m still patiently waiting for that information…

BZ
For lots of reasons. I have a 1969 original 427 big block vette with side pipes and it is very loud, and I love it. - The sound is both designed to be loud and create additional horsepower with reduced restriction of the exhaust. I enjoy all things high performance. On bikes (with the exception of harleys) the reasoning is the same. less restriction - more HP - so I like em... however, they are not approptiate to be wide open when they will disrupt others... IE in front of churches on sunday, at funerals, near professional buildings, ect. As dor the saftey factor, I do believe loud exhausts are helpful on the track and on the street. At the track, if I am right of the back end of a slower rider at a track day, chances are they hear me and will be concious of holding their line. On the street, If I am going thorough the gears down the street, you can hear me coming so, a driver that is observant, and safe will "look" for me too.. of course, If they dont and pull out on me while Im hitting 120 mph It is my fault anyway for traveling that fast.
So, I like em and they do create more odds of being noticed and therefore safer -- Same reasoning for wearing bright colored protective gear... You are trying to be visually noticed and in my case :heard"
Just my opionion:popcorn:

jsin38

Dunno about the rest of you, but since I started riding on the track I actually go slower on the street.

But I do have Feracci pipes on the old Ducati so I get the looks from those who care enough to be aware of motorcycles. That and the headlight on high and reflective stripes sewn in to the jacket I pray are enough to keep my name out of the newspaper.

Oh, and is it just me or do you think that Harley's sound that way because they need a tune up :saythat:

D.Brown

Loud pipes save lives and loud sex make lives!!! I Wish I Had Any VETTE like yours Steve for my homeowners assoc.,since I only ride my bike at NESBA events!!! aNYONE KNOW IF THE CUSTOM EAR PLUG guy is comin to r.a.? MR. BROWN

Meat

jsin38;42961 wrote:

Oh, and is it just me or do you think that Harley's sound that way because they need a tune up :saythat:
I think Harley's sound that way so that it covers up the noise of the parts falling off. They also ride so slowly in a pack that if you didn't hear the RPM's come up, you wouldn't know they were moving.

And why is it that the larger the group of Harley's, the more under the speed limit they go, making passing totally impossible?!!??

Ok, I will stop my rant about the rolling road blocks now.