Maintenance Class

Highyellow1

Is anyone aware of a motorcycle maintenance course available near central NJ? Maybe something that is held at a vocational school or community college?

Thanks in advance.

bluers

Don't know of any schools, but between this site and Youtube you should be able to get answers to any questions you might have. When I bought my '01 GSXR 750 years ago I took it to Suzuki and asked how much an oil change was. They said $100! At that point I decided it was time to learn to work on my bike. I have always worked on cars so it was a fairly easy transition.

Anything in particular you are looking to learn how to do, or just basic maintenance?

pefrey

^^ This. DIY is the way to go. You learn by doing. If you know nothing about turning a wrench, start small like an oil change.

Another one is to remove, inspect and gap your spark plugs.

Highyellow1

All good points and definitely doable, would prefer the immediate/direct feedback of having someone there. If I can't find anything I'll definitely go this route. Thanks.

Evil Cupcake

Control Rider
With a little bit of searching and through specific motorcycle forums you can ussually find PDF copies of maint manuals too that walk you through most everything...and has correct torque values so you don't strip bolts on your bike.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Yeah, definitely get the factory service manual. Hard copy if you can't find it online. What bike? Someone may have it.

jsin38

And learn how bolts work :) They actually stretch when tightened. This is why they specify torque settings. Correct torque settings save money and lives.

John and I (we have a maintenance schedule for the bikes we ride so we turn wrenches often ;-)) would be more than glad to have you do an oil change under our guidence. Its easier than you think and all stuff is at the track :)

BZ

I'm currently enrolled in one.. ocean cty voc tech. is / was giving it, 200$ one day a week 630-930pm 11 weeks great course full shop anything one needs too learn. I sorta of know alot of the stuff but fit my schedule so signed up

Highyellow1

Ducmonster - that seems like exactly what I'm looking for! That's about 30-40 mins from Wrightstown, correct? Do they ask you to bring your own or do you work on school owned bikes? Finally, would you recommend it? Thanks for the info.

Jsin/Hondagal - thanks for the info, I'll look into that.

Bubba - thanks for the offer. How far are you from NJMP? Is that the track you normally ride?

I am a couple hours from NJMP in Delaware. I normally ride NJMP and God willing will be their May 13.

If coimg out, let me know.

BZ

Highyellow1

Won't be there on the 13th as my daughter's bday is the 12th & will be out of town for that.

I'll contact you once I know a date I can attend.

davidkump

For maintenance required for your bike, consult the service manual. Everything you're gonna need is there.

PresidentHudson

cbrcrducmonster;272224 wrote: I'm currently enrolled in one.. ocean cty voc tech. is / was giving it, 200$ one day a week 630-930pm 11 weeks great course full shop anything one needs too learn. I sorta of know alot of the stuff but fit my schedule so signed up
Do you have the contact info for this school?

physicistkev

Control Rider
Don't be afraid to turn a wrench.
-Be aware of how well you reassemble.
-Loctite and safety wire are your friend.
-Torque wrenches are MANDATORY. Over tightening a bolt can be much worse than under tightening one.
-Buy the OEM service manual, or search for it on the web and then buy one if you cant find it. This is like owning a helmet, you always have to have it.
-Tools can get very expensive and are usually the reason people go to service shops. I always forget that not everyone has all the tools I have when talking about working on something. You don't always need the special tool, but it sure makes the task a lot simpler. Sometimes, you have to have the special tool.

It's not as hard as it looks and you shouldn't be afraid, however... You are going to be running down a track at high rates of speed on something you are going to put back together, so make sure you do it correctly. For your sake, and others. This isn't meant to scare you, but it is a reality and worth understanding.

andykurz

^ really good points. It gave me two additional thoughts.

physicistkev;272987 wrote:
-Tools can get very expensive
This is true though, over time, you learn how to save money buy finding stuff used and/or incorporating Harbor Freight. You have to be really careful with the latter!

physicistkev;272987 wrote:
-Torque wrenches are MANDATORY.
No Harbor Freight here!

And the process
of safety wiring is so important too. It not something I was familiar with prior to working on bikes, but it ensures that you've checked everything. You can look at your safety wired bike in one minute and know that it is good to go because you wouldn't wire a bolt that you didn't finish torquing. On cars, or bikes without wire, I can't tell you how many times I put bolts in finger tight and then forgot to tighten them later!