Marietta Motorsports at N2 FAQ

Huey130

Director
Race Director
Updated: 23June2015

Hope this helps and it's based on calls I get and 90% of what I've seen / heard at the track:

- Just who the hell are you?

We're a speed and performance shop outside of Atlanta, GA that's been open since 1991. Huey bought the shop in 2006 and moved it to its current location. Our back ground is primarily with WERA and AMA racing but Huey has even been to IOM TT and Macau GP as a crew-chief. We work on a lot of street bikes and even cruisers out of the shop. We're a DynoJet tuning center, Ohlins Suspension Service center, we build motors, build racebikes, fix issues, repair damage! Basically eeeerythang.
In 2014 we were approached about providing trackside support for the Southern N2 events. We've been having a ball since then!
The people you'll see in our pits are mainly Huey and Anne.
Huey: Owner of Marietta Motorsports. Former C-130 Loadmaster with the Air Force and Lockheed Martin. Bought MarMo after his department was sold and he took an early retirement. Been working on bikes since he was 15 and fixed his dad's CB900Custom so he could ride it when his dad wasn't around. Went to his first race in 1999 as a mechanic and seemed to be at the track every weekend since. He's been crew-chief to a lot of awesome racers such as Opie Caylor, CR Gittere, Blake Young, Brandon Cretu and many many more. He's a bit of a goof (I'm actually typing this in 3rd person and I concur).
Anne: She owns a landscape company in Atlanta and even though she's only been riding for only a few years she's probably faster than you. Hahaha She's raced in WERA the last 3 years and after reaching expert level met her qualifications to race AMA which she did for the first time in June 2014 at Barber Motorsports Park. She's always got her head down when she's out on the track but also always willing to help out new riders as an N2 control rider.
A few others that you may or may not see depending on the weekend:
Celena: She's the counter girl at the shop so she's usually the one we scream at for prices! Her motorcycling background is as a corner at most of the tracks in the Southeast. If you've been riding for a while and show her your leathers she probably knows who you are, your riding style and how you've been messing up the turnes she's worked.
John: Former high school English teacher, former professional stunt rider, former shop owner, former Philadelphia yankee. John moved South when his blood got thin and he needed to escape the winters. He's been with Marietta Motorsports since almost the beginning working his way up to our Service Manager! He's also a very accomplished endurance racer!
Skinny: Used to work at MarMo before he had to move back to Rome, GA. Awesome, knowledgeable, intelligent mechanic. And can play the guitar like no body's business!

- Do you accept credit cards?
Absolutely! Cards and cash (trades too if they're interesting)

- Do you have XXXX tires?
We only carry Dunlop tires. And we only carry the American made ones. We'll have the GPA DOTS and KR slicks generally in Medium compounds. Sometimes Medium +. If you'd like a different compound or a different Dunlop call the shop or Race Tire Services in enough time for us to get it for you.
As far as any other brand: Call the trackside supplier and have them delieverd to your house, the shop or straight to the track. We'll be happy to mount them for you.

- What pressure do I set XXXX tires to?
We can tell you any of the Dunlop ones but we "only talks what we knows". Everyone has websites with recommendations. Here's Dunlops: http://dunlopracing.com/technical-info/ We can help with tire wear by recommendations within a range though!

- How do I get my tires changed?
If you're bringing us just the wheels:
1: Take your wheels off and leave everything associated with them in your pits: spacers and cush drives. I won't need any of that to balance your wheels. If it can come off without a tool then it can fall off in the paddock and then you'll blame me and then I'll feel bad...
2: Clean your wheel. Please. Pretty please. It makes things on my end and subsequently your end go a lot faster! I can even sell you the best stuff in the world to do it with! Trust me I'll grab clean wheels before I grab dirty wheels.
3: If you're super picky about your wheels then go ahead and pull the old weights off. I'm very, very careful but if you do it then you can take as long as you like and use whatever technique you like.
4: If you have super special $30 a set, semi-carbon fiber gold plated valve caps with your initials inlaid in rhino toenail clippings: take them off and put them in your pocket when you drop your tires off. I try and keep them all together but sometimes some caps go on different tires.
5: If you'd like to keep your take-offs then ask for a tire-crayon and write your name on them. I'm going to throw them in a pile. This will help you dig them out later.

- Can you look at these and tell me if I need a new set of tires?
Yes. Yes, you need a new set of tires. :)

- What else y'all got in that trailer?
We generally have: Dunlops, GoPros (especially stickies), Vortex 520 size sprockets, EK MVXZ 520 chains, Vortex replacement bars, Motul 300V and 7100 oils, OEM oil filters, Pit-Bull stands, Woodcraft warmers, Hang-drys, Moto-D under suits, Water Wetter, Original Bike Spirits lubes, Alien Motion bstteries, Motul chain clean (you should absolutely be using this!) and other products, tie-downs, sometimes VP fuel if we're coming from a WERA race.
There's an assortment of Ohlins springs for 30mm inserts and TTX shocks. We can't carry springs for every single OEM application because there's just too many variations.
We also carry a lot of OEM fork seals and oil in the sizes of most of the sportbikes made after 2006.
There's timeserts, EZ-outs, and left handed drill bits and people that know how to use them if you have an oopsie.

-Can you __________________ to my bike?
Yup, of course we can. We have an awesome set of tools and the know-how to use them. We just may not have the time to do it at the track. We're there for rider support. To keep people circulating happily and safely. That's not really the time for us to put in a thinner head-gasket, adjust your valves or try and figure out why your bike stopped running 1/2 wy through the LAST trackday!
We'll be happy to look at things like that for you back at the shop and can then deliever the bike back to the next track day!

-What CAN you do to my bike?
Suspension setups, accident repair, fork seals, estimates for other work and of course tire changes.

-What's stuff like this going to run me?
Suspension setups
= $60 for us to baseline your sag and clickers. With that you'll have us for the weekend to make any adjustments based on your feel and as you get quicker and more comfortable.
Tire changes / flips = $20 if you bring us just the rim and $50 a rim if you bring us the entire bike.
We can't mount tires for free anymore. I can but I'll just have to raise my tire prices. I'm not out to jack no one around. Swear. When we were mounting tires for "free" we were actually losing money. Not joking. This is a bidness and it costs me diesel to get to the track and food and blah blah... I'm not whining I'm just speaking the truth.
"Please work on my bike!" = $80 an hour. We'll try to give you a quote as best we can before we start. But it'll be just that: a quote. We're known for being honest and fair. If you don't feel you're being treated that way please speak up. I'm reasonable. I'll be happy to listen to you and then explain why you're wrong. Hahahah Just kidding. We will figure it out!

-What kind of deal can you make me / can I get it for this?
I'm not out to rob anyone. I try to price as fairly as I can. You guys are my livelihood and my paycheck and I'm extremely thankful for that. When I worked my real job in the Air Force and at Lockheed I don't ever remember working my butt off and my boss coming to me at the end of the week with my paycheck and saying "hey you earned this but will you take this much?" And I hope no one does it to you. Capisce?

-Have you gotten to my bike yet?
We're working as fast as we can and sometimes we're forced to make "triage" type decisions. If we can save 4 or 5 peoples track days quickly we may push yours back a bit further. We start working on bikes as soon as we wake up and are usually still working on them through dinner. We promise we'll get to yours ASAP!

Any others?

Last edited:

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
I know the combination to the safe! LOL!

Not only is Huey funny, he is a great guy and does great work!

Huey130

Director
Race Director
-What is the combination to the OLD safe?
It was 1-2-3-4 and you had to make the "boop-boop-boop" sounds when you pressed the key pad because it was actually the unplugged microwave.
HOWEVER, after last weekend (not that anything happened last weekend that's just when it occurred) we went and got a real cash-box and bolted it down. :)

Racerboy

Know the Toe
I recall a race shop back In the early 2000's: 1888fastlap.com, Was that not you guys?

Hope this helps and it's based on calls I get and 90% of what I've seen / heard at the track:

- Just who the hell are you?

We're a speed and performance shop outside of Atlanta, GA that's been open since 1991. Huey bought the shop in 2006 and moved it to its current location. Our back ground is primarily with WERA and AMA racing but Huey has even been to IOM TT and Macau GP as a crew-chief. We work on a lot of street bikes and even cruisers out of the shop. We're a DynoJet tuning center, Ohlins Suspension Service center, we build motors, build racebikes, fix issues, repair damage! Basically eeeerythang.
In 2014 we were approached about providing trackside support for the Southern N2 events. We've been having a ball since then!
The people you'll see in our pits are mainly Huey and Anne.
Huey: Owner of Marietta Motorsports. Former C-130 Loadmaster with the Air Force and Lockheed Martin. Bought MarMo after his department was sold and he took an early retirement. Been working on bikes since he was 15 and fixed his dad's CB900Custom so he could ride it when his dad wasn't around. Went to his first race in 1999 as a mechanic and seemed to be at the track every weekend since. He's been crew-chief to a lot of awesome racers such as Opie Caylor, CR Gittere, Blake Young, Brandon Cretu and many many more. He's a bit of a goof (I'm actually typing this in 3rd person and I concur).
Anne: She owns a landscape company in Atlanta and even though she's only been riding for only a few years she's probably faster than you. Hahaha She's raced in WERA the last 3 years and after reaching expert level met her qualifications to race AMA which she did for the first time in June 2014 at Barber Motorsports Park. She's always got her head down when she's out on the track but also always willing to help out new riders as an N2 control rider.
A few others that you may or may not see depending on the weekend:
Celena: She's the counter girl at the shop so she's usually the one we scream at for prices! Her motorcycling background is as a corner at most of the tracks in the Southeast. If you've been riding for a while and show her your leathers she probably knows who you are, your riding style and how you've been messing up the turnes she's worked.
John: Former high school English teacher, former professional stunt rider, former shop owner, former Philadelphia yankee. John moved South when his blood got thin and he needed to escape the winters. He's been with Marietta Motorsports since almost the beginning working his way up to our Service Manager! He's also a very accomplished endurance racer!
Skinny: Used to work at MarMo before he had to move back to Rome, GA. Awesome, knowledgeable, intelligent mechanic. And can play the guitar like no body's business!

- Do you accept credit cards?
Absolutely! Cards and cash (trades too if they're interesting)

- Do you have XXXX tires?
We only carry Dunlop tires. And we only carry the American made ones. We'll have the GPA DOTS and KR slicks generally in Medium compounds. Sometimes Medium +. If you'd like a different compound or a different Dunlop call the shop or Race Tire Services in enough time for us to get it for you.
As far as any other brand: Call the trackside supplier and have them delieverd to your house, the shop or straight to the track. We'll be happy to mount them for you.

- What pressure do I set XXXX tires to?
We can tell you any of the Dunlop ones but we "only talks what we knows". Everyone has websites with recommendations. Here's Dunlops: http://dunlopracing.com/technical-info/ We can help with tire wear by recommendations within a range though!

- How do I get my tires changed?
If you're bringing us just the wheels:
1: Take your wheels off and leave everything associated with them in your pits: spacers and cush drives. I won't need any of that to balance your wheels. If it can come off without a tool then it can fall off in the paddock and then you'll blame me and then I'll feel bad...
2: Clean your wheel. Please. Pretty please. It makes things on my end and subsequently your end go a lot faster! I can even sell you the best stuff in the world to do it with! Trust me I'll grab clean wheels before I grab dirty wheels.
3: If you're super picky about your wheels then go ahead and pull the old weights off. I'm very, very careful but if you do it then you can take as long as you like and use whatever technique you like.
4: If you have super special $30 a set, semi-carbon fiber gold plated valve caps with your initials inlaid in rhino toenail clippings: take them off and put them in your pocket when you drop your tires off. I try and keep them all together but sometimes some caps go on different tires.
5: If you'd like to keep your take-offs then ask for a tire-crayon and write your name on them. I'm going to throw them in a pile. This will help you dig them out later.

- Can you look at these and tell me if I need a new set of tires?
Yes. Yes, you need a new set of tires. :)

- What else y'all got in that trailer?
We generally have: Dunlops, GoPros (especially stickies), Vortex 520 size sprockets, EK MVXZ 520 chains, Vortex replacement bars, Motul 300V and 7100 oils, OEM oil filters, Pit-Bull stands, Woodcraft warmers, Hang-drys, Moto-D under suits, Water Wetter, Original Bike Spirits lubes, Alien Motion bstteries, Motul chain clean (you should absolutely be using this!) and other products, tie-downs, sometimes VP fuel if we're coming from a WERA race.
There's an assortment of Ohlins springs for 30mm inserts and TTX shocks. We can't carry springs for every single OEM application because there's just too many variations.
We also carry a lot of OEM fork seals and oil in the sizes of most of the sportbikes made after 2006.
There's timeserts, EZ-outs, and left handed drill bits and people that know how to use them if you have an oopsie.

-Can you __________________ to my bike?
Yup, of course we can. We have an awesome set of tools and the know-how to use them. We just may not have the time to do it at the track. We're there for rider support. To keep people circulating happily and safely. That's not really the time for us to put in a thinner head-gasket, adjust your valves or try and figure out why your bike stopped running 1/2 wy through the LAST trackday!
We'll be happy to look at things like that for you back at the shop and can then deliever the bike back to the next track day!

-What CAN you do to my bike?
Suspension setups, accident repair, fork seals, estimates for other work and of course tire changes.

-What's stuff like this going to run me?
Suspension setups
= $40 for us to baseline your sag and clickers. With that you'll have us for the weekend to make any adjustments based on your feel and as you get quicker and more comfortable.
Tire changes / flips = $20 if you bring us just the rim and $40 a rim if you bring us the entire bike.
If you buy tires from us we'll put them on your rim for free. We'll still charge to put them on your bike however as it is a bit more work.
"Please work on my bike!" = $80 an hour. We'll try to give you a quote as best we can before we start. But it'll be just that: a quote. We're known for being honest and fair. If you don't feel you're being treated that way please speak up. I'm reasonable. I'll be happy to listen to you and then explain why you're wrong. Hahahah Just kidding. We will figure it out!

-What kind of deal can you make me / can I get it for this?
I'm not out to rob anyone. I try to price as fairly as I can. You guys are my livelihood and my paycheck and I'm extremely thankful for that. When I worked my real job in the Air Force and at Lockheed I don't ever remember working my butt off and my boss coming to me at the end of the week with my paycheck and saying "hey you earned this but will you take this much?" And I hope no one does it to you. Capisce?

-Have you gotten to my bike yet?
We're working as fast as we can and sometimes we're forced to make "triage" type decisions. If we can save 4 or 5 peoples track days quickly we may push yours back a bit further. We start working on bikes as soon as we wake up and are usually still working on them through dinner. We promise we'll get to yours ASAP!

Any others?

Huey130

Director
Race Director
I recall a race shop back In the early 2000's: 1888fastlap.com, Was that not you guys?
1888Fastlap was the mail-order side of Marietta Motorsports. When I bought the shop that phone number wasn't for sale nor part of the deal. We haven't started a mailorder side instead focusing on the actual hands on performance which is what started Marietta Motorsports.... I sometimes kind of think I should have gone the other way. Hahahaha

Racerboy

Know the Toe
Thxs Huey,
BTW, I remember when you all rented Barber back in the day, and I also recall a great piece of writeup you all did on your then site about taking an RC51 and get it in race ready trim.

Huey130

Director
Race Director
Thxs Huey,
BTW, I remember when you all rented Barber back in the day, and I also recall a great piece of writeup you all did on your then site about taking an RC51 and get it in race ready trim.
I'm 90% sure that was the first event at Barber! It was orginally supposed to be a WERA race but some of the owners got an injuction at the last minute.