Metzeler TD Slick Availability

Jorgy

Hi all. I heard some great things about the TD Slicks last summer at the track so I thoughts I'd try some. Tried to put in an order with my local shop and the distributor told them that the TD slicks are very hard to get and there might not be any in the US right now. Sounds odd, thought I would check here to see if anyone had different information. Otherwise I'll figure out what else to try. Thanks

rpm894

Dunlop Q5 if you are not fast enough to keep heat in regular Dunlop slicks or don’t have warmer. If you are going an intermediate pace, get warmers and slicks. There is always a Dunlop guy at N2 events, which makes life easier.

I use to get 6-8 days out of a Dunlop slick rear on a R6 at an intermediate pace. I would change the front just to be safe even though it looked fine. It’s hard to ask for more than that from a track tire.

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm not sure that I've seen a Metzeler at the track that wasn't on a vintage bike, and I've never seen a metz rep.

+1 for Dunlop, who is an official partner of N2 and sponsor of the N2/WERA Endurance Series. In addition to there always being a Dunlop guy on site for TDs, many of the CRs and Directors are intimately familiar with the dunlop products and compounds and can help get you sorted on TPs. If, when you say "TD slick," you mean the class of DOT tires that are designed to give you track-like traction for trackdays while not being a full race slick, then the Q5 is a great one to start with.

Jorgy

Thanks for the replies. This will be my 4th summer doing track days. I've been on Q3 and then Q5 every summer, great tires. At the end of last summer I tried a set of Dunlop slicks which Quentin who does the Dunlops at Pitt recommended. I'll start the season on them. I'm not particularly burning to try something else, just always curious about what's out there.

The Metzeler TD slick are a dedicated track day tire, not street legal. Heres the link if anyone is interested: TD Slick. I think they are pretty much the same as Pirelli SC3 compound slick. I pitted next to a guy last summer who raved about them so I'm surprised they don't seem to be available. At any rate, if they are hard to get then I don't want to bother with em.

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Metz is owned by Pirelli, and I believe more popular in overseas motorsports. Best bet for the time being, based on availability, price and objective experience at an N2 td, is going to be the Dunlop Quentin has you on, and he's a very knowledgeable guy. He's been doing this a long time, and rides himself.

rpm894

I love the metz.TD. some top guys are only a second slower then on sc 0's. Just placed an order 2 weeks ago from motogarage.
What is an example of a “top guy” running these tires? And are they running SC 0 to the limit, or are they running the SC 0 at say 5 seconds off the top pace and the Metzlers at 6 seconds off?

What kind of lap times are you running on the Metzlers?

Kneedragger34

What is an example of a “top guy” running these tires? And are they running SC 0 to the limit, or are they running the SC 0 at say 5 seconds off the top pace and the Metzlers at 6 seconds off?

Skip to the 8 min mark. I'm not saying this is the best tire. But a great step after dot tires. Pros can go fast on anything.

Jorgy

Metz is owned by Pirelli, and I believe more popular in overseas motorsports. Best bet for the time being, based on availability, price and objective experience at an N2 td, is going to be the Dunlop Quentin has you on, and he's a very knowledgeable guy. He's been doing this a long time, and rides himself.

Thanks, solid advice. Quentin has been very helpful. At some point I'll try another tire brand just to help my learning. I've only ever run Dunlops.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Better advise is to support the guy that's coming to events, expending resources to get you product/tires for the event, will mount and balance when you buy tires for free with the purchase and keeps him coming to events because he can make a living providing support.

Bring another brand of tire to the event, and he will mount and balance them for you for a price, but he won't know anything about the compounds or construction of your tires, what pressures to run or any other information like chassis adjustments for that set.

BTW...had my kid on his R3 (13) switch to Dunlops at Summit Point last year for the Endurance race after practicing all day before on another brand.

On the Dunlops he was instantly 2 seconds faster and shaved time throughout his session. He came in and said, "Dad....we're running Dunlops from here on out." OK Little Buddy.

We ran that 2 hour endurance race on those tires (with is team mate who is a MA Junior Cup Competitor) for 66 laps. They had 5ish laps on them before the race started.

Then we took the same bike, same tires to Nelson Ledges a couple weeks later for the final Nelson 2 day WERA weekend. He ran practice, qualifying and six 8 lap sprints on those tires that weekend.

His final lap of the season was about lap 120 on those tires. He'd run a 1:23.9 on the other brand in June (Fathers Day weekend) at Nelson.
On that final lap of the season, he ran a 1:18.9. Five seconds faster on completely shagged tires.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider

This is the better, more 'scientific' approach to tire and grip selection. Without going too far off topic from what the OP was inquiring about, it's important to use lap times as the metric instead of something subjective such as "advanced group" or "my fast buddy uses them". I'd agree with the guy in the video referenced. He mentions 2 seconds, not under a second, which I'd agree with. If I was gridding up for a WERA/ASRA sprint, I would never have a SC3 on my bike. I wouldn't even run a SC2 rear. It would likely be a SC0, maybe a SC1 pending on weather/length of race. He also mentions the same later in the video around the 9 min mark.

I would agree with him in saying that 2 seconds is probably a fair assessment, understanding 2 seconds at a shorter track is a vastly bigger claim than 2 seconds at a long track (Think Nelson Ledges and PittRace). If you told a seasoned 'A' group rider that he could cut 2 seconds off with nothing more than a tire compound change (at the same price nonetheless), he wouldn't think twice about switching out. In an 8 lap sprint racing your buddy that's the same pace as you, you're now finishing 16 seconds ahead of him. That's not even the same race - you're in an entirely different zip code.

However, back to the intent of a TD tire, does 2 seconds matter? Not really. Especially considering Intermediate group and the lower end of A group probably can't use the extra drive grip a tire like a SC0 provides anyways. The TD tire (Metzler or Pirelli) most definitely has its place within the trackday world. No way would I suggest to most anyone to run a soft/supersoft compound at a track day.

TD tires most definitely can provide far more grip than a street oriented tire, that won't get hot/greasy when pushed beyond the capability of a street tire, but not pushed at the level of expert club racing.

Jorgy

Very interesting stuff, and clearly tire choice matters much more at the sharp end of expert/advanced no doubt. I didn't mean to start a tire preference thread, but the question of how much a tire or compound helps laptimes is pretty interesting. For my trackday riding and pace, it matters very little. I ran the Dunlop Q5 for 3 seasons in novice, and I had no interest in running slicks at that level. The Q5 was great, works in dry and wet, doesn't need warmers, way more grip than I ever needed. I did ATP, got some coaching, practiced and found 25 seconds last summer at Pitt, all on the Q5 (oh yeah I also got a much quicker bike :) Got bumped to I group.

I could probably stay on the Q5 and be fine at intermediate pace, but I also like to learn and experiment. I believe trying different tires will help me develop a better feel for my bike and different conditions. So I'm getting into slicks with warmers and want to do it in a safe, smart way. First thing I did was ask the tire guy and he popped a set on for me at the end of last season. Told me what pressures to run, etc. Felt like a good start. No pushing for laptimes, I just got some practice using the warmers and a feel for the tires.

A trackday oriented slick tire seems like a good entry point to the world of slicks. That's why the Metzeler TD tire seemed interesting. It apparently offers good grip, consistent performance, durability and convenience of working in a wide temperature window. Only one way to find out!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Not sure how much difference there is between the Metzeler TD and the Pirelli SC3 to be honest. Good to see the addiction has sunk its claws into you...slicks meaning you get to deal with stands and tire warmers each session, power needs, generator if need be...soon enough you'll reminisce on the days of using DOTs and being able to put your bike on the kickstand at the end of each session!

rpm894

Tire warmers and slicks gave me a bigger boost in riding performance than anything else ever has or ever will. This sport is mental. Knowing your entire tire and wheel are heat soaked from the start and that the tire isn’t the weakest link makes all the difference. It also saves you wasted laps and energy waiting for tires to get to temp. It eliminates a distraction from the back of your mind slowing you down. Just get use to the little extra work now. I promise, this sport never gets easier.

bmart

Control Rider
A friend who is a golf fiend frequently mentions how golf is a game of 8", the space between your ears. I tell him that much of riding is also. I've heard so many stories of riders who hear or feel something...their tech tell them they made an adjustment and the problem is immediately gone...when the tech did absolutely nothing.

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
This is where I have bought them last few seasons.

I ended up switching back to an sc2 slick. They last about 1 day less than the M TD for me. I found that the M TD really start to lose grip on the rear when they are warn. The sc2 has more consistent grip till it is fully warn.

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
A friend who is a golf fiend frequently mentions how golf is a game of 8", the space between your ears.
That's just something golf guys tell themselves to try to make "smacking a ball around with a crooked stick for the past 600 years" sound more sophisticated than it is.