Michelin Power cup DOT race tires

csteger03

Just kinda wondering how they compare/differ to the old D.O.T, power ones? Maybe i'm out of the loop but they kinda seemed to crop out of nowhere...

bibmen

The slicks and DOTs are all new. They have new casings and rubber mixes. The Power One A and Power Cup A retain the same shape with slight changes to the belt angle with new rubbers. The Power One V has been replaced by 2 tires The Power Cup VA and VB. They retain the shape of the V that is very aggressive. The tire wants to turn. The VA and VB Cups have had some casing changes to stiffen it under very heavy trail breaking. The VA is the softer of the 2. However do not think it will go away quickly I have guys running them with over 100 laps on them at race pace and they are still great. I have been using the VA more than the VB for everything except endurance and at tracks like Millers west course where front tire wear is excessive. I probably will not start using the VB until we get into the upper 80s and will keep using them at higher temps depending on the track. As we move into higher temps, endurance or on very abrasive tracks we move to the VB. The Power One and Power Cup rears differ quite a bit. They are a softer casing than the Power One tires especially the Power One A. The Power One A is a great tire for trackdays ( I run them on my R1 when I teach) they heat quickly ( I do not use tire warmers at trackdays) and they wear very well. I usually run them for 4 trackdays 4 hours each day before I change the rear ( I have to buy them too :) )The B and C rears also work well and somewhat overlap with the C being more durable than the B but requiring the rider to get more heat into it. The Power Cup rears are A, B and C as they were with the Power One with A being the softest or lowest temp tire B and C overlap quite a bit with the C being more durable once again requiring more heat. Please realize that every rider is different and what works for you may not work for someone going slower or faster than you. A softer or lower temp tire can actually out last a harder or higher temp tire if it is run in the wrong conditions. If a tire is too hard or is not up to temp it will shed rubber where the softer tire that is correct for the temp will actually last longer and feel better as it is working. The Power Cups are available in the 120/70-17 front and rears in 180,190 and 200 sizes. The 180 and 190 are for 5.5 and 6 inch wheels where the 200 is for 6 to 6.5 inch wheels. DO NOT put a 200 on a 5.5 inch wheel.
There are not many of last years slicks still around other than the 18/67-17 in the 1847 compound. These are very good tires and if you want to go to slicks without having to make very large adjustments ( you will probably still have to make some but smaller) to run a 190 are a good deal, they are a medium compound. The Power Slicks are also completely new with 2 fronts, A and B and 3 rears A, B and C. Once again the fronts were changed to trail break at very high loads. The rears have been changed to a lighter casing with different rubbers once again. The A front is durable and lasts where the B is more durable with comparable grip at higher temps. This past weekend at Miller on the west course which is the most abrasive place I go Clint Warner put 45 laps at race pace on the tires and they are beautiful, you can see photos of them if you are on face book at http://www.facebook.com/Islandracingservices I would have run the A front just about anywhere else. Many guys who have run other brands in the past are using the Power One and Power Cup A compounds as the VA and VB are so aggressive on turn in. If you are running something other than the Power One V you might consider these fronts. If you have been running the Power One V you will want to go to the VA or VB front. The Power Ones have been reduced in price as they have been replaced. Bob has some of them at very good pricing. Many of my riders are running the VA with The discontinued Power One rears to save about $60.00 or so dollars on the set. The Power One won several championships last year. This is long winded and I am sure I have not answered all the questions. Please post up your questions or contact me at david@islandracingservices.com you can also call me at 409-771-3950 If you are interested in purchasing the tires Bob has a good stock and if he does not have what you want we fix it.
Thanks,
David

csteger03

Thanks you for all the details. I will be contacting you personally by phone for more info. I know it's virtually impossible to get all the specs out though a forum, so I appreciate your taking the time to explaine in detail. :D

Greg ZX6R

Thanks for the info, David. I heard there was a significant weight difference in the rear tires from the Power One's to the Cup's. Is that accurate?

tbsstevens

slicks

How much difference is there between the power ones and a full slick? I love the ones never ran any slicks what all needs to be done to the bike for slicks? Thanks for any help

bibmen

With Michelin there are many differences. Width, diameter ( center and edge ) Casing construction and compounds. They have little in common. They require suspension adjustments both in ride height, spring, compression and damping. What tires are you using now and I can give you some comparison information so if you decide to give them a try you will know what direction to go in.

tbsstevens

slicks

k thanks, the tires im using now are the pilot one race versions, when i first started i used the pilot race tires, that now have been replaced with the ones, both have been great... the reason im asking is i have been using these on a stock suspension 06 zx10 and just acouple days ago i found a really good deal on a 04 zx10 track bike that already has a ohlins rear shock, and its suppose to have ohlins springs up front. The bike has dunlop slicks on it, but i think its been sitting for alil so i dont know if there good or bad, and im guessing the bike is set up right for slicks? i didnt know if i need to go back with something im used to like the pilot ones or get another set of slicks being dunlop or michelin which i know nothing about...:dunno:

bibmen

With a new bike you will basically be starting from 0 so go ahead and change to slicks if you want. Depending on the generation of Dunlops on the bike the Dunlop front slicks vary from 603 to 606mm and the rears from 656 - 657mm in diameter. The Michelin Power Slick front is 606mm while the rears are 653 (190) and 654 (200). Depending on how well the bike was set up to begin with will determine how many adjustments you will have to make. Two ways to do it. Just put the tires on that you want to ride and try it without turning any knobs and use it as a base to work from or Start in the middle with your settings and go from there. Set the sag and ride it than make changes according to what is going on. If you have a suspension guy at your events get with them.

madman748

What are the tire marking for a Power Cup slick? I have a set of slicks that I need to identify.

Thanks

bibmen

There were some prototype tires, very few, that said Power Cup on them. The new slicks say "Power Slick" on them not "Power Cup" They will be designated with a letter after the word "Slick" on the side wall. If you have something else that you need identified there will be white numbers on the left side of the rear and right side of the front. If they are not there should be a series of small numbers molded into the side wall that should start with a letter and be 6-9 characters in length.

bibmen

Any time. I try to watch the boards but there are just so many of them. If I do not answer a question within a few hours someone send me an email :)
David

snikwad

What HOT pressures should I run these power cups at?
All the numbers Im seeing is for cold pressures.