Michelin Power One V Profile at Barber $125.00

fossilfuel

I have a set of Michelin Power One's "V" Profile medium compound that have 10 laps on them...brand new for $125.00 this weekend at Barber. I don't like them. My loss your gain. front tire 120/70/17 rear 180/55/17. I will be on the upper level near bathrooms (I pee a lot).
Darryl T. 251 751 8631 cell

fossilfuel

I like Dunlop tires but I could not get the tires i wanted before the WERA Pirelli Sprint Series race at Barber. A friend of mine has a Honda dealership and got me these tires. I wanted slicks and have used the Michelin race slicks before. The Michelin rep was all out so he got me these Power One 2CT "V" profile.
I low sided in turn two at Barber passing on the outside of a rider, destroying the bike. If you look at the tires, there is a significant difference in the profile of these tires than any other I have used. They don't call them "V" for nothing.
The recommended cold tire pressure from the manufacturer is 31 psi. I had tire warmers on for about an hour. The tire pressure before I went out was 36 psi and I normally run 31 psi hot. I ran 10 hard laps in the 1:41.00 range and had no issues but when I went around the guy on the outside in turn two, the bike just let go with no warning.
I looked at the edges afterwards and noticed that I had not scuffed in the edges as far as I would have on the tires I normally use. You would have to be leaned over to the max to get the edges scuffed in on these tires.
Now to clarify, I could have been in a seam, I could have given an abrupt change in throttle position, I could have been in some marbles, I could have had to much contact with the bars but some of the guys I was pitted next to had lost the front on these tires and said they wouldn't use them again.
I do not run laps in the 1:26 range at Barber and do not claim to be an expert on tires but I can't use a tire I do not have confidence in. I went to Barber this past weekend and ran 5 personal best lap times in a row on Dunlop slicks. I trust the tire. Would I use Michelin again? Yes but not the "V" profile and not at the pressure they recommended for this tire.