Mid Ohio... Monday was Ideal

RandyO

What a great track! It has its issues in the early hours of a cool morning (read: SLICK) but the layout and speed should put this track on your bucket list.. :)

Traffic: can be a problem.. but is great practice and there are a few areas that make for a safe and fun outside pass..

I about went straight off T2 when 2 bikes about came together and I gassed it to make sure I was going to be clear of the carnage.. (about become the carnage myself) and I think Matt might have figured I was going to cut the corner :D

Back-straight: wow, it has some legs, I tried to keep the mph in check (just uses up brakes) but I did open it up a few times and there is nothing quite like hanging that dog leg at a 170+

Bike is just to heavy to being doing that all day as the brakes just get pretty warm..

CR's: great as usual and was glad to get back on "the line" after lunch.. with a lot of help..

love the garages btw...

YOU GOTTA RUN THIS TRACK!!

oh yea... we did not get a red flag all day and only one yellow I saw out of the keyhole ..

rk97

sadly, I don't think today can be called anything close to "ideal."

My bike's on the trailer, in the garage... :(

just buy more brake pads. that's like climbing the empire state building and stopping 1 floor short because you don't want to wear out your sneakers. :D

RandyO

rk97;126457 wrote: sadly, I don't think today can be called anything close to "ideal."

My bike's on the trailer, in the garage... :(
sorry to hear..

I am 2 hours due west from the track and it is pretty miserable here too.. this morning was pouring.. Been a light misting since about 2 hours ago..

Does look like it might be clearing a bit there! but the 45 degree temp does not bode well for traction...

RandyO

jaren warren;126469 wrote: just buy more brake pads. that's like climbing the empire state building and stopping 1 floor short because you don't want to wear out your sneakers. :D
yea yea... lol but pads on the heavy beast that do not trash the rotors and dont fade are $200 for maybe 400 miles of use...

bottom line, I need a lighter bike and more skill so I can run with the fast guys. :)

Wink

Color me jealous, I have ALWAYS wanted to ride that track since I got started doing this... :(

RandyO

Wink;126566 wrote: Color me jealous, I have ALWAYS wanted to ride that track since I got started doing this... :(
I am 2 hours from the track so you could put you up at the house if you decide to make the trip..

murf

Wow! What a track THAT was!

Real shame about the poor weather today, but yesterday afternoon made up for it all in my opinion!

Definitely one of my favorite circuits.

rob92

Control Rider
N2
All I can say is WOW!

This is one amazing and flowing track. Roller-coaster or Race-track, tough to decide. The trip was worth it, even for one day. Very few incidents, plenty of sunshine, and I haven't seen the A grid that large in... well, never. We had the A group, MW + MA CRs, plus the Mid-Ohio track coaches all in one session (must have been 50 in total). I must admit, I had a little red mist coming down seeing that.

Just let me know when the next date is and I'm signed up!

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
WoooooooHoooooooo!!!! That track is freak'n awesome!! It was a bit squirrely for the first two sessions, but once it warmed up a bit it had great grip. Nice fast flowing track with just about every type of turn you can imagine. Fast, mid-speed and slow sections...on-camber, flat and off-camber sections... uphill, downhill and flat sections.... tight turns, long double apex bowls, high speed kinks.... and lots of blind turns.

I would love to ride that track in the warm months. In for another trip to Mid-Ohio if we get one. Anyone else up for another double at Mid-O?

gkotlin

What a great track. Fabulous layout. The staff was a big help on Monday morning. Those were some awesome A group session. It felt like the B group again. Lots of bikes of different sizes and skill sets. I remember griding up and seeing a sea of bikes just waiting for the go ahead. It was fun for sure.

It was great getting to put some CR faces with names. Hope to see you guys out there again soon.

ronhix

Mid-O is a fun track. Top of third gear knee on the deck - outstanding. Second gear tight section with flipping the bike from right to left to right to left to over the hill to double apex right...yeah good times.

The extra sessions after 5pm at the end of the day with near perfect conditions and 3 or 4 people on the track was off the hook - easily top ten most fun I've had on the track. Pavement was bit funky in the morning, but once it got warm it came in nicely.

jigs

A track you leave with a score to settle with....loved it,very technical,I can see where it takes time to go really fast there,lotsa tricks to be learned,but so much fun.I've heard stories about how green it can be on a cool morning,well,true they are,super green,but by the 3rd session,much better,afternoon was just fine,couple litle spots but you get used to it,I will go back for sure.We knew that the forecast for Teus. was 100% rain,so we figured go out and do all the Monday sessions,when I go back for two day,frankly if the weather is dry for both days,I'd skip the first 2,then one the next day.Hell,I can't do 14,20 minute sessions anyway!! Great time though,good seeing everyone...till' next time!

iamnotgreg

I uploaded some of the onboard video from Monday to vimeo
raw from the gopro (don't bother looking at the rear facing forward video - I wanted to check my body position... and found out how much work I need to do on it) I am sure nobody wants to look at my rear end for 20 minutes

Sadly all the videos are from early in the day - I didn't realize the batteries were low in the damn thing and it would record for 2 or 3 minutes then turn off... So I didn't get any video of the sessions after I started feeling a bit more comfortable out there.

What everyone has always said about the camera not doing the elevation changes justice was spot on - looks flat as a board in the video but it sure didn't feel that way.

For those of you I thought I had video of - sorry - I might not.. I did a lot of following of friends to give them some footage and it appears I did it with a turned off camera :(

http://vimeo.com/user729878/videos

I think the earlier sessions were in the 2:10+ range - by the end of the day I was running in the 1:56's
I think I could rather easily shave maybe a few more seconds off but passing rules in B are a bit restrictive and to be honest I'm not the best passer out there anyway (need to work on that)

King

GREAT FUN!!!!!!

1st off I want to apologize to Fred, Nesba, and all the A guys for holdin up their 2nd session....Yeah I was the culprit that drew a red flag at the end of the 1st B session....I knew the track was pretty empty (missed the Pit In)

Sorry about that

Now that Thats out the way...

BIG OL THANKS GOES TO beac83...
Craig man, thanks for the ride out there and making everything possible....Great guy, Really great guy

Ok now for the CR's...
I didnt get much work done at this event as far as Towing goes...but it was so packed and so new to everyone I cant cmoplain...all and all I took my baby back home in one piece.

There was Greg, who gave me a couple laps before the end of a session...nice line through T9 and 10 there..

There was a CR on a red Aprillia I'm not sure of his name but i think it was Murff...but anyway, he gave me a good couple tips through T1 and the entrance to the back straight...really helped me...

Matt i think was the other CR...not much to say about him, but i got some thumbs up and he told me to keep working with my body position (which i will surely need to keep doing)

The track itself...again, was fun fun fun...my little Buell (xb12r) took a beating and showed me well...an oil change will be taken into effect A.S.A.P.... iamnotGreg suggest that i get a higher revving machine because i was ringing her out...lol, one day i'll get something else

the carousel was the only place that i really needed help with entering but I tore a$$ on the exit into the front straight...gave some guy on a 1k a real nice run around for a few laps...saw him in the grass later in the day hope all was well with his bike...saw him on a 600 right after. Greg(CR) suggested that i plan ahead more on passing and work on my setting up on exits more so than trying to outrun a 1k @ the same time...I'll have that to work on along with body position for blackhawk when i go back...

thanks again everyone, hope i can remember more names next time around

oh yeah before i forget...i forgot his name, someone on a black r6 had some footage of me...trailmug was all i remember...but he says i had some interesting lines and stuff so when i find the video somewhere i'll post it here and please do, comment and advise me

thanks again for making trackday #2 a success Nesba

iamnotgreg

I never would say to get rid of that Buell - Those things are a blast - but if you keep rolling that sporty motor around past the redline so much she's gonna grenade on you! :)

Great riding with you!
Wish the videos from after lunch came out - they were much better than the squirrely morning stuff

King

iamnotgreg;126857 wrote: I never would say to get rid of that Buell - Those things are a blast - but if you keep rolling that sporty motor around past the redline so much she's gonna grenade on you! :)

Great riding with you!
Wish the videos from after lunch came out - they were much better than the squirrely morning stuff
yeah, i'm working on my shifting points...Great Riding with you as well......:cool:

gkotlin

King;126849 wrote: There was Greg, who gave me a couple laps before the end of a session...nice line through T9 and 10 there..

Greg(CR) suggested that i plan ahead more on passing and work on my setting up on exits more so than trying to outrun a 1k @ the same time...I'll have that to work on along with body position for blackhawk when i go back...
Baby steps. It was only your second day, but your looking much more comfortable out there. A little body position and some more track time and you'll be rocking.

Passing is an art. It's one of those things. We always tell you to keep your eyes up. You need to have your mind "UP" as well, thinking of the next thing, not what your doing at that time. Passing requires you to think 2 or 3 steps ahead. Your mind has to think about the end of the pass, then think it backwards to how your going to set it up. So you have to be thinking much further ahead. So while your going through or entering a corner, you have to be thinking where will that bike be when I'm passing them. You then need to decide where you want to be so your path is guiding you away from their path. You have to figure out that line in your head. Adjust your speed, following distance and line so that you can execute what you just thought through in your head.

For example, I'm a big guy on the little SV. But I need to pass that Gixxer 1000 in B group right? I need to get ahead of him to show him a line.

So entering the chicane, before the key hole, I drop back about a bike length or two. The first right hand apex at the top of the key hole entry, I go straight to it and run it deep into the corner as I tip in to the right. I end up all the way to the outside of the track on the center of the key hole turn. Right now it may seem like I'm never going to make this work. The gixxer 1000 is probably 5 bikes ahead of me and on the tight inside line on the paint. I drop my head more and start to turn the bike for the exit. As I continue to drop my head, I reduce lean angle and begin to smoothly add throttle since it is off camber here. As I get to my apex, which is a way, way, way, late apex, I'm on the throttle full and already pointed to an exit point further down the back straight. The gixxer 1000 is still turning toward the outside exit point, toward the paint, but he can't add throttle yet. He can't do so because it's off camber and he can't reduce lean angle yet. As he gets to that paint on the outside exit, they can begin to roll on the throttle down the back straight. By now, I'm next to them and have been on the gas for probably 50 feet. I motor right on by, leaving them wondering. How the heck does a fat guy like that, go right by me. Must be an SV 1000. hahaha

Later in the day I was getting motored by a bigger bike on the straights, but his line was erratic and I couldn't make a complete safe pass in the back section. This was in A group as well. So the passing rules are different. Again coming into the chicane before the keyhole, I dropped back about 2 bike lengths at the entry. Then I got on the gas going into the chicane. From the middle of the chicane, I saw the rider taking a more "swoopy" line as they did the lap before. They went out wide in the middle of the chicane to turn in late for the key hole entry. This had them pointed toward the line I described above in the previous scenario. What they did differently was the straight line to the first right hand apex at the entry as I had done. They did not do this. They left about 18 inches on the inside. Since I was already on the gas, I dove to the inside, and put the tires on the paint and knee in the grass. I went up the inside, and hung tight on the inside line all the way through the keyhole this time. My drive wasn't as good on the exit, but I was able to get the pass done and hold the line. Thus leaving poor gixxer Dan to drag race the bike I just passed on the back straight if he wanted to keep up with me. ;)

It takes time and planning, but passing is done with the mind and not with the throttle. It's always very difficult to pass a rider of similar skill and pace. Don't let it frustrate you. You'll make mistakes or poor passing decisions. Think of it as a challenge. Once which you must complete decisively and safely.

I hope that helps you understand the thought process that goes into setting up a good safe pass.

King

gkotlin;126880 wrote: Baby steps. It was only your second day, but your looking much more comfortable out there. A little body position and some more track time and you'll be rocking.

Passing is an art. It's one of those things. We always tell you to keep your eyes up. You need to have your mind "UP" as well, thinking of the next thing, not what your doing at that time. Passing requires you to think 2 or 3 steps ahead. Your mind has to think about the end of the pass, then think it backwards to how your going to set it up. So you have to be thinking much further ahead. So while your going through or entering a corner, you have to be thinking where will that bike be when I'm passing them. You then need to decide where you want to be so your path is guiding you away from their path. You have to figure out that line in your head. Adjust your speed, following distance and line so that you can execute what you just thought through in your head.

For example, I'm a big guy on the little SV. But I need to pass that Gixxer 1000 in B group right? I need to get ahead of him to show him a line.

So entering the chicane, before the key hole, I drop back about a bike length or two. The first right hand apex at the top of the key hole entry, I go straight to it and run it deep into the corner as I tip in to the right. I end up all the way to the outside of the track on the center of the key hole turn. Right now it may seem like I'm never going to make this work. The gixxer 1000 is probably 5 bikes ahead of me and on the tight inside line on the paint. I drop my head more and start to turn the bike for the exit. As I continue to drop my head, I reduce lean angle and begin to smoothly add throttle since it is off camber here. As I get to my apex, which is a way, way, way, late apex, I'm on the throttle full and already pointed to an exit point further down the back straight. The gixxer 1000 is still turning toward the outside exit point, toward the paint, but he can't add throttle yet. He can't do so because it's off camber and he can't reduce lean angle yet. As he gets to that paint on the outside exit, they can begin to roll on the throttle down the back straight. By now, I'm next to them and have been on the gas for probably 50 feet. I motor right on by, leaving them wondering. How the heck does a fat guy like that, go right by me. Must be an SV 1000. hahaha

Later in the day I was getting motored by a bigger bike on the straights, but his line was erratic and I couldn't make a complete safe pass in the back section. This was in A group as well. So the passing rules are different. Again coming into the chicane before the keyhole, I dropped back about 2 bike lengths at the entry. Then I got on the gas going into the chicane. From the middle of the chicane, I saw the rider taking a more "swoopy" line as they did the lap before. They went out wide in the middle of the chicane to turn in late for the key hole entry. This had them pointed toward the line I described above in the previous scenario. What they did differently was the straight line to the first right hand apex at the entry as I had done. They did not do this. They left about 18 inches on the inside. Since I was already on the gas, I dove to the inside, and put the tires on the paint and knee in the grass. I went up the inside, and hung tight on the inside line all the way through the keyhole this time. My drive wasn't as good on the exit, but I was able to get the pass done and hold the line. Thus leaving poor gixxer Dan to drag race the bike I just passed on the back straight if he wanted to keep up with me. ;)

It takes time and planning, but passing is done with the mind and not with the throttle. It's always very difficult to pass a rider of similar skill and pace. Don't let it frustrate you. You'll make mistakes or poor passing decisions. Think of it as a challenge. Once which you must complete decisively and safely.

I hope that helps you understand the thought process that goes into setting up a good safe pass.

good info...long and detailed, so i'll probably read it 3 more times...but yes baby steps, thats what im taking

thanks again