Military guy from Florida, no experience

flydunn

Good-evening everyone,

Long story short I've always wanted a motorcycle but whether it be girlfriend or mom telling me it was too dangerous or a fellow military member getting injured on the road I've never followed through. However one of my good friends who owns a bike has started going to track days and told me that I should get a bike purely for the track and just go that way.

Just wanted to list some of my quick concerns,

I understand there is risk involved with this but overall is this a safe hobby to get into? Especially for a rookie? My main concern is being put out of commission for my military training to come.

Since I'm going to be all over the states with the military are tracks easy to come by? I've got a truck so I think taking the bike place to place shouldn't be too bad

Now since I'm a complete rookie I have no idea as far as gear goes what is good and what isn't. It seems from my research I should definitely get a back and chest protector and get a good set of leathers, gloves, and boots. If you wouldn't mind posting some of what you guys currently wear that would be great to give me an idea of what I should be looking to get.

As far as getting a bike I was looking at a 250 to start with and moving my way up from there if it's something I truly love. I weigh about 190 and am about 5'11"

Thanks for the help! I love the idea of getting into this sport, just a little personal background on me I've been in the Marine Corps on the enlisted reserve side for the past five years. I just completed officer school and am on stand by in Orlando till April and then my next training starts (part of the reason why I want to pick this up now) Right now I'm on an air contract and will be going to flight school in Pensacola after TBS (looks like Jennings isn't too far away) with hopes to become a fighter pilot, I wanna go fast! Thanks again for the help

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
You got a ton of questions...thankfully, it's the off season and you got all the time in the world to read up on gear and all that. :D

The Marine Corps has been good to me in regards to track riding and racing. They promote track riding all the time at the bike courses. It's a much safer environment than the street. I got 6 years of AD under my belt and still got 3 years on my current contract.

You're looking at flying jets at the speed of sound thousands of feet in the air...are you really worried about a motorcycle doing 150? ;)

Pensacola is a good spot in regards to tracks. 2 hours from NOLA, 4 from Barber, and kinda close to Road Atlanta. Was stationed there for a bit.

Should have hit me up while you were here...I drive by TBS every day.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Have you ever ridden a motorcycle at all? Street? If not, start with a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. Before going to the track, operation of all controls should be second nature and you need to be comfortable at highway speeds. Good deal starting with a small bike, you'll be a better rider than if you were to start with a big bike. If you have absolutely no riding experience I don't think the track is the place to learn. Great way to improve once you have the basics down.
Welcome.

Domiken

Welcome, this is very fun and addicting. But as Hondagal noted above, get a motorcycle first and get used to the controls and get some miles under your belt. Once there is no need to focus on how to operate the motorcycle (becomes second nature), I would jump into track riding to work on the rest.

Batmanusmc

Welcome to NEBSA flydunn,

I am sure you will get more great advice about NESBA and riding than you know what to do with, but you will also have the most fun, next to flying a fighter jet. I am also a Marine F/A-18 Fighter Pilot and I have been where you are about to be, only it was 21 years ago and once I roll 22 yrs in Feb 14 I will be moving on the retired world, but still riding with NESBA.

The best Marine advice I can give you about riding is you can always learn something new if you listen. It's normal to be somewhat worried about getting hurt while going through flight school, but I am not saying don’t do it, just do it smart. Plus, you may find that the Training Commands are a little more restrictive to your activities than the fleet, only because we are investing time and money in you.

I had been riding since I was 15 and took a break just before I started flight school and picked it up again just before I got my “Wings of Gold” once you have them, you are now the asset and all the aches and pains come to light and they can’t just get rid of you. One other piece of Marine advice, whenever you do go to a track to ride, always take official leave to cover yourself! That way even if your command is not Motorcycle friendly you and your loved ones will be covered.

Good luck with flight school and have fun on the track, it is the most fun I have outside of flying. I’ll make sure there is a JSF-35 seat waiting for you, all you have to do is get there.

Semper Fi

Batman

flydunn

Otto Man;294996 wrote:
You're looking at flying jets at the speed of sound thousands of feet in the air...are you really worried about a motorcycle doing 150? ;)
Haha, good point

I will be taking at least the basic motorcycle course before I get to the track. I also plan on taking an introduction course at the track itself.

Thanks for all the replies!

flydunn

Batmanusmc;295070 wrote: Welcome to NEBSA flydunn,
Good luck with flight school and have fun on the track, it is the most fun I have outside of flying. I’ll make sure there is a JSF-35 seat waiting for you, all you have to do is get there.
Thanks! I can't wait to get to flight school and I definitely have my eye on the joint strike fighter. I know it was a while ago but if you don't mind emailing me some tips about flight school that would be great. I know if I graduate top of my class it increases my likelihood of fighters so I've been preparing my whole life to excel in flight school. My email is AndrewDunn@flydunn.com

Semper Fi