Milky foam???

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I just drained the oil this evening getting ready for VIR next week. To my surprise, when I pulled the filler cap I noticed a milky foam inside the cap. Now, I know if you've got milky oil, you probably have a head gasket failure. However, the oil looked fine, it was just inside the cap. I pulled the case and the foam was inside the case cover as well. The clutch basket looks clean.

I normally use Shell Rotella Synthetic during the season. Over the winter I drained out the Rotella and put in cheap dyno oil. I've been starting in lately every day or so letting it idle for a bit. Most of the time it does not have enough time to come up to operating temperature. Also, there isn't any out of the ordinary smoke out of the exhaust when idling.

My thought at this point is that I might have some sort of cross contamination of the two oils? Any other ideas?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Condensation build up from starting it but not reaching full operating temp, therefore the moisture doesn't burn off? :notsure:

R1Baby

Control Rider
Moisture. If the bike does not get to temperature, you will see that. The motor does not get hot enough to burn it off. Nothing to worry about. You did the correct thing by changing the oil.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Lol!!!!

fwiw, I was always taught that when winterizing a bike, change the oil so it's stored with clean oil. Keep the battery charged on a tender, but don't periodically start it up. The reason is because the moisture won't burn off because it doesn't get to operating temp. Starting an idling doesn't charge the battery, either, as the rpms aren't high enough. Or so I was told.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Thanks for the info. I looked online first and saw something along those lines in regards to Ford engines doing that. They referenced that it primarily took place when it was cold.

My bike has the Ballistic lightweight battery, so you are not supposed to keep a tender on it, unless you have the Ballistic specific one. I am only starting the bike on occasion to keep things lubed up. I guess I will just have to get it up to temp from now on.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
HondaGalToo;268534 wrote: Lol!!!!

fwiw, I was always taught that when winterizing a bike, change the oil so it's stored with clean oil. Keep the battery charged on a tender, but don't periodically start it up. The reason is because the moisture won't burn off because it doesn't get to operating temp. Starting an idling doesn't charge the battery, either, as the rpms aren't high enough. Or so I was told.
Correct...there's not enough amperage being generated by the bike's electrical system at idle to charge the battery.

andykurz;268602 wrote: When I clicked on this thread, I was relieved to see that it was on the topic of oil, and perhaps coolant.
We can hijack and derail it makes you happy as we offer that service too:D

BZ