Motard vs. R1 on JC

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
For those of you that think big horsepower has any relationship to lower lap times, I give you Todd Gerbsch on his YZ450F. With about a third of the horsepower of my R1, I was only able to reel him in on the straights. The motard just corners unbelievebly well. The only time he had trouble in the corners was when there was oil on the back tire.

Motard vs. R1 on JC 8/2/08:popcorn:

ToddG

Control Rider
Director
Hey Jim! Great video as always! It was a lot of fun out there with all of you, I had a blast all weekend!

Tigerboy

Interesting..... I would have thought that the Motard rider would be putting his foot out supermoto style in some of those turns but that wasn't the case. The turns aren't tight enough, or is it because the rider has streetbike experience and is used to riding the 'hanging-off' vs MX style ?

Of course I've only watched Supermoto on a go-kart style track (at Beaverun), and riders were putting their foot out pretty much every turn, and backing it in after a long straightaway.

Maybe riding Supermoto style isn't safe when mixed with sportbikes. Now that I'm on a motard I wasn't even thinking of NESBA (North East Sport Bike Association). If I was going to get into Supermoto I was thinking of ESMRA (open practise being much cheaper for one thing). But maybe NESBA shouldn't be ruled out for Motard riders. In other words, at least worth doing once just to say you've done it.

** Anyway, props to the Motard rider for showing all the sportbikers how it's done **

tstd2

I was the b guy on the zx6r with the flag. I have to say if I can ride half as good as you guys I would be doing great. The fact that todd was spanking everybody on the motard was awesome and I am glad to hear you got up alright after turn one in the first session. Hows you side feeling? I Also appreciate the advice but I still have alot of work to do in the turns. I found my self trying to get the bike over farther but it seems it simply wouldnt go. What can I do any how?

ridelater

i race esrma and come from a road race back ground. It all comes down to the turn your taking and the quickest way through. I tried my damnest to use the road style while on kart tracks but it just does not work i must have crashed over 15 times this yr some tuff to walk away from. THe turns are just to tight and the back end comes out. bigger tracks like pat., pocono east, jefferson work well knee out. i liked the video, the straits at jefferson are pretty tough on a 450 what kind of gearing 15/38/39:notsure:
side note this reminds me of a time at louden a few yrs back when doug henery showed up and smoked everybody including all the locals(except for one guy who was keeping up pretty well) anyway cool vid

ToddG

Control Rider
Director
Steve,

I was perfectly fine, the only thing hurt was my pride! Don't worry it will all come together for you out there.

I was running 15/37 out there and I should have switched it over to my 15/35. I ran out about 3/4 of the way down the straights, but it was a ton of fun!!

BonesDT

Was that in the A group?

That was an awesome video! What camera do you use and how do you set it up?

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Bones, the session was an advanced session. The system is a VIO POV.1. The lens is mounted to my fairing stay and shoots directly out the bottom of the windshield. I've used it all this year and it is very easy to use. The price was a little steep, but you definitely get what you pay for. I haven't seen a better quality video anywhere. And you have to realize that the video is compressed some. It's even better at full resolution.

BonesDT

Thunderace;13296 wrote: Bones, the session was an advanced session.
To think a guy on a motard is giving an Advanced rider on an R1 a run for his money, blows my mind.

Thunderace;13296 wrote:
I haven't seen a better quality video anywhere.
Me neither, that's why I'm hijacking this thread. I've tried using a regular digital camera, but I guess you need some sort of vibration stabilizing feature. Do you have any pics of your mount?

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
BonesDT;13306 wrote: To think a guy on a motard is giving an Advanced rider on an R1 a run for his money, blows my mind.
That's not just any guy, Todd will give you a run for your money anywhere!

BonesDT;13306 said:
To think a guy on a motard is giving an Advanced rider on an R1 a run for his money, blows my mind.

QUOTE]

How about this
AB-1 Motorsports/Interstate Cycle rider Dustin Meador leading the lightwieght twins race at the last WERA Nationals on A Aprilia SXV 5.5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EesQ-kSdePo

Dustin Meador and Zac Chapman running 1.22's at the Summit National, Lap 2 of practice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xieE5GRCQxw

An if ya think the SV's caught up to them.....Here is lap 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xieE5GRCQxw

But we cant run them in NESBA

:banghead:

Tigerboy

Okay I watched this again (since Motards are allowed on JC) and all I can say, this kind of riding, on the motard, is exactly what anyone should strive for.

The rider is as smooth as glass. I notice he only makes ONE steering input for each turn, except one in the middle where he makes two - which is why I guess they call it a double apex turn. :idea: And he does the same thing for each lap for consistency.

What a genius. :congrats: If I even accomplish half that riding talent before my game is up, I'll be happy. :adore:

I'd like for him to show up at Mid Ohio and race the AHRMA Motard class, which rides that style.