Motards

Dutch

Motards will only be allowed at Summit JC and Pocono in the MA Region. Motards are defined and single cylinder dirt bike based machines.

hank

So the Aprilia SXV 450 & 550 are OK everywhere since they are v-twins?

:rolleyes: :notsure: :doh: :popcorn: Damn I love these new emoticons...

hank

Thanks for the clarification Dutch!

I need to re-evaluate my next bike purchase... :argh:

ridelater

fair enough rules are rules, but why? If the bike is properly geared they do over 100. When i was at beaver I was running 107, 108 and was asked off the track(i was making and geting passed, your reg. track day). Is it not the respondabilty of the rider who is behind to judge speed and make safe passes. Are the motors blowing up. what about 125 and 250 2-stokes are they not the same. They do race supermoto w/ wera at summit main. the guy i spoke to said he was doing1. 20 on a 525 ktm. If it all about closing speeds then you should get rid of 1/3 of all the rider in each group b/c that the difference between the fast guy and slow one in all three groups

hondahawkrider

this is crap...

so instead of my sxc625 motard I guess I will have to run my 990 Adventure instead..... Like that won't make more of a target....

So, I guess this means that ninja 250's are any other small displacement bikes are also banned right...

antirich

OK, this is your club and you set the rules. Can't argue the underling reason, I wish more clubs would focus more on safety.

Just want a few questions answered by someone from NESBA (directors) and I'll let it go.

1)With the argument of top speed capability being the deciding factor, why are bikes like the EX500, CB-1, Clubman singles, Monster 620 and Ninja 250 not baned as well? Not only are they an equivalent top speed, but take longer to get there (more weight, less torque). I know there was mention of "if we see an issue on the track we'll say something" but shouldn't the same rules apply? How is a 116mph Monster any less dangerous than a 115 mph Aprilia SVX?

2) Unless things have changed, don't Motards, 125s, and Clubman bikes all share the same practice time at WERA and CSS events? Of all the deaths/major crashes i've read, don't remember one pertaining to a superbike running into the rear of a 450 powered clubman. if that is the case, I'd be interested to hear what happened.

3) How did this guy get on the track at a NESBA event:

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orderpage.aspx?pi=03HV00GQ2P0017&po=17

By the way, the KTM you see here held his own very well in the I-group at Lightning. The only time I was able to pass him (on my 120 HP bike) was on the front straight, for he carried far more corner speed and broke way deeper than the majority of riders that day. And i think I only passed him twice if that.

If everyone's theory that they'll run into Motards cause of their big bad bikes, why wasn't this guy a problem? I don't remember a bike sticking out of his ass at the end of the day.

Again, your club, your rules. Just would rather hear the details from the top.

hondahawkrider

Hmmmmm... I thought "track days" were for rider improvement... I guess it's really more race practice than a track day... I guess to come to the track for nesba you have to have a 600/750/1000 supersports bike to play...

I for one will be calling my insurance company .. The nice thing about track day was it was "rider improvement" so if some thing happened to my bike I was covered.. However, since I am being discriminated against now, be sure I will be making it known that I can't participate in such events. Since top speed or horsepower is now a requirement for nesba - I wonder if it might impact it's and individual's insurance policies and claims. I know that MY insurance company ie allstate is looking at ways to reject motorcyclists .... I never thought I would help em out

Beth G

hondahawkrider;10491 wrote: this is crap...

so instead of my sxc625 motard I guess I will have to run my 990 Adventure instead..... Like that won't make more of a target....

So, I guess this means that ninja 250's are any other small displacement bikes are also banned right...
Unfortunately, there are decisions that need to be made that concern safety and they are not always popular. Quite frankly a ninja 250, Motard, or other small displacement bikes on a high speed track such as NJMP or Summit Main is just not a good fit. Lets use a little common sense here. The funny thing is common sense appears to be not so common.... Am I one of the few on here that understands closing speeds?? You all bitch about slower riders holding you up ect...., but you want NESBA to allow a bike that is not capable of running at the speeds that these tracks run at? Lets think about this for a second..... If you put a slow rider on a slow bike what do you have? A dangerous situation! Come on guys this isn't rocket science!! Lets find something that's worth bitching about!! :saythat:

Geoff Doyer

1)With the argument of top speed capability being the deciding factor, why are bikes like the EX500, CB-1, Clubman singles, Monster 620 and Ninja 250 not baned as well? Not only are they an equivalent top speed, but take longer to get there (more weight, less torque). I know there was mention of "if we see an issue on the track we'll say something" but shouldn't the same rules apply? How is a 116mph Monster any less dangerous than a 115 mph Aprilia SVX?
Maybe we will ban other bikes from high speed tracks. We haven't discussed it as a group. IF we do I hope it makes you feel better. I think mostly it's just because HATE guys on dirtbikes. We decided, even though the majority of the event directors in the MA ride them, that we want to piss off everyone who owns one just for giggles

2) Unless things have changed, don't Motards, 125s, and Clubman bikes all share the same practice time at WERA and CSS events? Of all the deaths/major crashes i've read, don't remember one pertaining to a superbike running into the rear of a 450 powered clubman. if that is the case, I'd be interested to hear what happened.
Yes they practice together. And NO there has never been an incident of a superbike crashing into one of these. NEVER. Probably because they don't allow superbikes to run with far less powerful bikes. Why you may ask? Maybe if you really think about it you can find the answer within

3) How did this guy get on the track at a NESBA event:

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orde...GQ2P0017&po=17

By the way, the KTM you see here held his own very well in the I-group at Lightning. The only time I was able to pass him (on my 120 HP bike) was on the front straight, for he carried far more corner speed and broke way deeper than the majority of riders that day. And i think I only passed him twice if that.

If everyone's theory that they'll run into Motards cause of their big bad bikes, why wasn't this guy a problem? I don't remember a bike sticking out of his ass at the end of the day.

Again, your club, your rules. Just would rather hear the details from the top.
That photo was taken almost a month ago. And I wasn't there but I am sure that he was awesome in the corners and on the brakes as most motard riders are. Not the point. The point is that you have other people closing on him at the end of the straight with ridiculous closing speeds that are dangerous.

barry38

All things must evolve. While we did allow motards at various tracks in the past, unfortunatley it has gotten to the point where decisions have to be made in the name of safety on the track. No doubt some people will be upset and put off by this.

No matter how hard we try NESBA can't be all things to all people. And remember it's the North East SPORTBIKE Association. It's not about discriminating against anyone, it's the fact that our purpose it to provide people with an opportunity to ride sportbikes on the racetrack, not necesarily any motorcycle they want to ride.

ToddG

Control Rider
Director
hondahawkrider;10499 wrote: Hmmmmm... I thought "track days" were for rider improvement... I guess it's really more race practice than a track day... I guess to come to the track for nesba you have to have a 600/750/1000 supersports bike to play...

I for one will be calling my insurance company .. The nice thing about track day was it was "rider improvement" so if some thing happened to my bike I was covered.. However, since I am being discriminated against now, be sure I will be making it known that I can't participate in such events. Since top speed or horsepower is now a requirement for nesba - I wonder if it might impact it's and individual's insurance policies and claims. I know that MY insurance company ie allstate is looking at ways to reject motorcyclists .... I never thought I would help em out
Are you flipping kidding me!? I'm not hearing what I want so I'm picking up my ball and going home!?

It all boils down to safety!!!!!!!

So, you have one guy that fared well at NJMP.... So it must be ok? Lets play Russian roulette.... I spun the barrel and pulled the trigger.... Nothing.... YOUR TURN! I personally have and run a Built YZ450F Motard and I wouldn't even entertain running it on these tracks!! Yea, it turns upper :54's at JC and I can hold my own out in the A class there, but it scares me to death to think about putting it out on the faster tracks. It has a top speed with 15/37 of 106, but on my GSXR I'm in 6th pinned at 150ish on these faster tracks, yea that makes perfect sense to me...NOT! My head hurts with all of this!!

buck34

OK, I see we have it we have it all wrong. It's perfectly exceptable for me to come through T8 at Beaver just sniff a drat off Jason Crismore down the back straight going into T9, go to the inside of him at 155+mph OH WAIT!!!!! the a F'N dirt bike parked just through the kink. Well that theory of no-body getting killed just went out the window.

I owned a Motard , absolutely loved it. But like anything, theres a place. Why the hell do you think most go-cart tracks welcome them. Because that's where they belong! And if they are running on race tracks, it's a racing class of their own.

Further more, what you complainers don't realize is how Dangerous it would be in the B and I classes. Many times we have 5 and 6 wide coming down a straight all thinking their going to try to out brake one another on 1000s, 600s, 750s etc with ZERO SKILL SETS!, now lets toss in a Motard going
100 mph for good measure. This should be interesting.

antirich

buck34;10524 wrote: Many times we have 5 and 6 wide coming down a straight all thinking their going to try to out brake one another on 1000s, 600s, 750s etc with ZERO SKILL SETS!, now lets toss in a Motard going 100 mph for good measure. This should be interesting.
That's funny. Your control rider just said there's only one race line on straight aways:

mike_21;10295 wrote:
Antirich,
There is a race line on straightaways. If you remove yourself from the race line and then attempt to blindly rejoin the race line when approaching (or in) the brake zone you are potentially put riders behind you in harms way. ...
Mike
So how can you have 5 and 6 wide coming down a straight with all of them still being online?

And for the record, a tard doesn't need the same race line as a traditional sportbike. I have no problem hugging the inside of most turns with that thing.

Armadillo

Beth G;10506 wrote: Unfortunately, there are decisions that need to be made that concern safety and they are not always popular. Quite frankly a ninja 250, Motard, or other small displacement bikes on a high speed track such as NJMP or Summit Main is just not a good fit. Lets use a little common sense here. The funny thing is common sense appears to be not so common.... Am I one of the few on here that understands closing speeds?? You all bitch about slower riders holding you up ect...., but you want NESBA to allow a bike that is not capable of running at the speeds that these tracks run at? Lets think about this for a second..... If you put a slow rider on a slow bike what do you have? A dangerous situation! Come on guys this isn't rocket science!! Lets find something that's worth bitching about!! :saythat:
the problem is that we are not bitching about what you claim we are bitching about. if the problem is closing speed, base your bannings on closing speed, not how the bike looks. so horsepower and top speed must be the determinng factor. say nothing under 100HP on this track, nothing under 50hp on that track. fine, atleast thats a logical and veracious criteria. these bannings clearly have nothing to do with motards under performing at the track, but some other hidden criteria. a blanket banning is just lazy.

Pascal

have you ever closed on another bike with 50+ mph speed difference? let me rephrase - have you ever gone down the highway and come up on a car going 45mph for whatever reason and go - wow!? now double that. sort off like coming around a bend and wow - there's a still-standing traffic jam!

I'm guessing not.

I had a B rider this year on a ZX10 almost run me over - we talked after the session, guy was honest as could be - wow, I had no idea how fast I was going compared to the group in front...

antirich

Geoff Doyer;10510 wrote: Yes they practice together. And NO there has never been an incident of a superbike crashing into one of these. NEVER. Probably because they don't allow superbikes to run with far less powerful bikes. Why you may ask? Maybe if you really think about it you can find the answer within

My point is that they practice together and no one has ran into the back of one. Open race practices are more hostile than a NESBA track day, no?

And of course they don't race together, what would the point of that be?

Geoff Doyer;10510 wrote:

That photo was taken almost a month ago. And I wasn't there but I am sure that he was awesome in the corners and on the brakes as most motard riders are. Not the point. The point is that you have other people closing on him at the end of the straight with ridiculous closing speeds that are dangerous.
My point was that no one (to my knowledge) made any complaints about an orange motard causing a dangerous situation. In fact, what I saw was a guy running quite well with packs of other bikes. He used his advantage by keeping that thing at top speed in the turns, powering out of the turns then out braking others. There's only one real significant straight on that track, and no one was ass-packing him. He left plenty of room on the left, and if you had to balls to try to out brake him, you could get around him.

On the other hand, we had a few people on bigger bikes who would ham fist the straight, then park it in the turns (couldn't tell if they were 750 or liter bikes). That pissed me off way more than any motard on the track, for I didn't feel I had 6 safe feet to pass them on the turns. So i wait for the straight, then they ham fist it again. Only way to get around was through some very hard braking.

But hey, I'm just one rider. If anyone was there in the Intermediate group and had a problem with the two motards, please chime in.

By the way, of the few motard guys out there, how come no one ever mentions the risk of gernading their engine on a long straight? I'd worry more about that than getting hit from behind.

RyanITV

Admin
antirich;10534 wrote: That's funny. Your control rider just said there's only one race line on straight aways:

So how can you have 5 and 6 wide coming down a straight with all of them still being online?

And for the record, a tard doesn't need the same race line as a traditional sportbike. I have no problem hugging the inside of most turns with that thing.
I believe Buck was pretty clear about why they were off the proper line...

buck34;10524 wrote:
...B and I classes. Many times we have 5 and 6 wide coming down a straight all thinking their going to try to out brake one another on 1000s, 600s, 750s etc with ZERO SKILL SETS...