Motards

hank

AB-1 Motorsports;10631 wrote: Dutch
I really dont have A dog in this fight but I will enlighten you on A few facts about the Aprilias,

Ours top out around 140mph, They have run 1.38,s at VIR North, 1.22,s at Summit main. and 1.25's at Grattan. Few of the problems that I see, Its not the closing speed of the bikes on the straight, Its the motards flying by the sportbikes on the brakes then driving away.

The Aprilia will most likley flat out run most of your members no matter what they are on and should be excluded from your motard ban.

Aaron Brown
AB-1 Motorsports
Excellent point!

The basic argument here is that motards and sport bikes have different strengths and weaknesses and are capable of being ridden very differently while on the same track.

I can appreciate that top-end speeds favor the larger-capacity sport bikes, while mid-corner ability - both in terms of speed and multiple line choice - favors the motards.

Motards continue to gain in popularity and they are an excellent alternative to sport bikes that get lighter and produce more HP each year... Personally, my riding goals are changing - I no longer desire to go 165 MPH in a straight line to have fun, I am tending to prefer to slow down and get a smaller, lighter bike so I can ride more technical tracks.

Sure, I would gladly buy a 400 ~ 550cc 4-stroke sport bike, but since we here in the US prefer large-capacity machines (that the majority of owners can't control), the possible choices aren't available... so I am looking at motards. If that means limiting the tracks available to me - I can accept that. Then again, a 400 ~ 550 cc 4-stroke would probably be banned on the same tracks as the tards...

So, how about getting people together to start a Motard Club called North East Motard Bike Association (NEMBA)?

Dutch

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. We have been looking at this issue for the better part of a year. Discussing it amongst the directors. Watching how events play out at different tracks. Like it or not this is my decision and one I will stand behind. Complain all you want. I'll take the heat for this decision. The alternative is taking the heat for not making this call, having a high speed collision, and the members asking me why we allowed this unsafe condition to exist in the first place. We are not banning motards. We are limiting them to more appropriate tracks where the closing speeds are not as much of an issue. I feel the need to point out that some of you, while making your arguments against this, have actually reinforced this decision. B and I riders arguing to take a different line down the front straight when on a tard and then blend back in at the brake markers? Seriously? Arguing that you are being discriminated against because we wont let you run your 100 mph machine on a track capable of 160 mph? Yes you are right. We are discriminating against you. You want to be angry and alive or happy and dead? Angry and alive I can live with.

Dutch;10672 wrote: Everyone is entitled to their opinion. We have been looking at this issue for the better part of a year. Discussing it amongst the directors. Watching how events play out at different tracks. Like it or not this is my decision and one I will stand behind. Complain all you want. I'll take the heat for this decision. The alternative is taking the heat for not making this call, having a high speed collision, and the members asking me why we allowed this unsafe condition to exist in the first place. We are not banning motards. We are limiting them to more appropriate tracks where the closing speeds are not as much of an issue. I feel the need to point out that some of you, while making your arguments against this, have actually reinforced this decision. B and I riders arguing to take a different line down the front straight when on a tard and then blend back in at the brake markers? Seriously? Arguing that you are being discriminated against because we wont let you run your 100 mph machine on a track capable of 160 mph? Yes you are right. We are discriminating against you. You want to be angry and alive or happy and dead? Angry and alive I can live with.

So if one of my 5.5's had clip ons and A fairing....we could ride it ?

ridelater

well, i do love to complain, so i will. dutch your point is flawed if your only going to believe a sm will only do 100mph. and if its closing speed you are so worried about ban everything from a sv 650 and down on the bigger track if safty is your #1 concern. we could start a list of bikes that could cause and accident and speeds. ninja 250's gone, 125&250 two stoker bye bye, 600 that are 97' and older see ya! nice to know you! sv650 a damm meance i tell you! always getting in the way! Also we have to get on all the people that don't push it on the strait. I mean jesus christ what are they thinking i could hit one of them when i am not watching the track. I mean what are they thinking it a track day for cry out loud. don't they know its all about speed.
serious though its a bullshit excuse to ban sm
fuck it though I would not put my sm on the track any way for fear of hurting the motor. hell, i got sm series to run in and i need the useless point damn it( whaaaaaaaa!!! i want a top 5 finish whaaaaaaaaa!!!!)

rugbymook

Control Rider
Race Director
ridelater;10680 wrote: well, i do love to complain, so i will. dutch your point is flawed if your only going to believe a sm will only do 100mph. and if its closing speed you are so worried about ban everything from a sv 650 and down on the bigger track if safty is your #1 concern. we could start a list of bikes that could cause and accident and speeds. ninja 250's gone, 125&250 two stoker bye bye, 600 that are 97' and older see ya! nice to know you! sv650 a damm meance i tell you! always getting in the way! Also we have to get on all the people that don't push it on the strait. I mean jesus christ what are they thinking i could hit one of them when i am not watching the track. I mean what are they thinking it a track day for cry out loud. don't they know its all about speed.
fuck it though I would not put my sm on the track any way for fear of hurting the motor. hell, i got sm series to run in and i need the useless point damn it( whaaaaaaaa!!! i want a top 5 finish whaaaaaaaaa!!!!)

The only bike you mentioned that could be slower than a motard is the Ninja 250..... but i doubt it.

Two smoker 125's can move. A TZ 250 can destroy many a 600. SV's are not inherently slow. I can stay with most 600's for the better part of a straight on mine. (Oh, btw, there's no real difference between a 1st gen or 2nd gen SV regarding top speed)

I ran a KTM 450 that was built for the WERA motard class. 53hp, full race suspension, blah, blah, blah. They get in the way at track days. Period. Racing is different. You are grouped together with like machines and the grid size is far smaller than any "B", "I", or "A" NESBA session.

The Dutch has spoken. Live with it.

rugbymook;10684 wrote: The only bike you mentioned that could be slower than a motard is the Ninja 250..... but i doubt it.

Two smoker 125's can move. A TZ 250 can destroy many a 600. SV's are not inherently slow. I can stay with most 600's for the better part of a straight on mine. (Oh, btw, there's no real difference between a 1st gen or 2nd gen SV regarding top speed)

I ran a KTM 450 that was built for the WERA motard class. 53hp, full race suspension, blah, blah, blah. They get in the way at track days. Period. Racing is different. You are grouped together with like machines and the grid size is far smaller than any "B", "I", or "A" NESBA session.

The Dutch has spoken. Live with it.
Wanna race hotshot

:D

rugbymook

Control Rider
Race Director
AB-1 Motorsports;10687 wrote: Wait.....I did race ya couple of times.....so you can race the ringers

:haha:
Nope. I just looked up the results from MyLaps. We only gridded up once. VIR CycleJam on 2005. DNF. You were running the Ducs in Vintage and HWT Twins. I was a noob on my SV in the LWT stuff.

So. Do we need to go head to head?

(Let's leave the ringers out of this............. you know, just two old guys going at it for beers) :D

rugbymook;10690 wrote: Nope. I just looked up the results from MyLaps. We only gridded up once. VIR CycleJam on 2005. DNF. You were running the Ducs in Vintage and HWT Twins. I was a noob on my SV in the LWT stuff.

So. Do we need to go head to head?

(Let's leave the ringers out of this............. you know, just two old guys going at it for beers) :D

I think so, how about the Aprilia against the SV, you choose the track.....

Disclaimer

Dont forget...............we have A few more apes then the 5.5

Leitner559

Control Rider
Bravo, Jefferson is kick-ass anyhow

As a B and I guy I used to run a Suz Bandit 400 which topped out just under 130. The more I learned, the more I began to understand it just wasn't up to my own safety specs to be scooting down the big straights with it. That bike lived the rest of its days cleaning up Jefferson. If a guy/gal has no fear riding down SP Main straight on a thumper dirt bike with relatively inexperienced R1s that think it's a mother fletching flea until they realize too late "oh no, that's a real bike," sorry, but he/she might suffer from rectal-cranial inversion. This is a very good decision and a futile debate.

Tigerboy

Since there's no denying motards have grown a lot in popularity to the point they're multiplying like rabbits, how about giving them their own class?

B = Beginner
I = Intermediate
A = Advanced
M = Motard

The Motard class could be open, since there's probably not enough to justify 3 levels. Of course they would need at least one CR. Any CR's ride motards?

If NESBA were to do this, I would give them a second look. Right now, I'm on the sidelines.

danrivito

buck34;10559 wrote: Wrong, sir! Wrong! Under section 37B of the contract signed by you, it states quite clearly that all offers shall become null and void if you ride a Motard on any track other than Summit JC and Pocono East, and you can read it for yourself in this photostatic copy -- "I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges of riding my Motard, herein and herein contained," et cetera, et cetera... "Fax mentis incendium gloria cultum," et cetera, et cetera... "Memo bis punitor delicatum"! It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! You stole fizzy lifting drinks from the cooler! You bumped into Buck's bike which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Greatest post ever on this board. Good stuff.

I understand the reasoning behind this policy change and certainly appreciate the consideration of safety.

I just hate the idea of limiting a riders chance to ride the track.

barry38

About 10 years ago, a bunch of guys got together came up with an idea to form a club that would allow them to ride thier sportbikes on the race track. I'm sure none of them could have imagined in thier wildest dreams that the club they created would be the operation it is today.

Maybe, just maybe, the guys who want to ride motards (or other low powered motorcycles) on the track should do the same thing.

NESBA can't be all things to all people.

crewnutz

while obviously people racing motards (especially Zac or Dustin) are going to be a bit faster, trackday riders on motards (especially B or I riders) are 99% of the time not fast enough to ride safely in Advanced or maybe Intermediate
after working with the Aprilia 5.5 for over a year with AB-1 I can legitimately say that they are just as capable as an SV at getting around the track in any riders hands.......
I agree with no motards...........BUT I think you guys should look into letting the Aprilia 5.5 be excluded from that list

rugbymook

Control Rider
Race Director
AB-1 Motorsports;10691 wrote: I think so, how about the Aprilia against the SV, you choose the track.....

Disclaimer

Dont forget...............we have A few more apes then the 5.5

Damn you.

You're going to make me dust off the old SV.

BeaveRun. :cool:

Bring whatever eye-o-talian motorsickle you and your spawn desire. :D

pithorse

ridelater;10680 wrote: well, i do love to complain, so i will. dutch your point is flawed if your only going to believe a sm will only do 100mph. and if its closing speed you are so worried about ban everything from a sv 650 and down on the bigger track if safty is your #1 concern. we could start a list of bikes that could cause and accident and speeds. ninja 250's gone, 125&250 two stoker bye bye, 600 that are 97' and older see ya! nice to know you! sv650 a damm meance i tell you! always getting in the way! Also we have to get on all the people that don't push it on the strait. I mean jesus christ what are they thinking i could hit one of them when i am not watching the track. I mean what are they thinking it a track day for cry out loud. don't they know its all about speed.
Glad mine is a '98!!:p