Motards

TQuig

Apparently I am the only one that got his feelings hurt by Buck's statement that B riders have zero skills!! :( :D

For the record, I have to agree with the management on this one, particularly in 'B'. A beginning rider will be slower on a motard in the straights AND the curves. Everyone keeps talking about the advantages the motards have in the corners and for a person experienced in riding them that statement is absolutely true. Besides the comments about closing speeds, B riders are, by lack of experience, easily distracted and prone to gun-and-park riding. They will not be able to capitalize on the cornering advantages of the motard. Because of that they will ultimately carry less speed out of the corners when everyone else is hard on the pipe. Just seems like a recipe for disaster. I can only speak from the lowly 'B' group though.

loudes13

As a motard rider, I don't want to be a#% packed by a liter bike because there is a 40+mph closing speed.

B isn't always for fresh newbs. I signed up for B recently. I used to ride A with a 600 a few years ago. I'm not sure I want to run A with my current motard, even at the slow tracks. On the tight tracks it's less of an issue.

Motomoon

barry38;10824 wrote: About 10 years ago, a bunch of guys got together came up with an idea to form a club that would allow them to ride thier sportbikes on the race track. I'm sure none of them could have imagined in thier wildest dreams that the club they created would be the operation it is today.

Maybe, just maybe, the guys who want to ride motards (or other low powered motorcycles) on the track should do the same thing.

NESBA can't be all things to all people.
Only if they put as much effort into it as they have this post.

You guys do realize that NESBA isn't the only trackday org right?

mike574

So if some one were to build one of the new super singles they also would not beallowed to be run at a nesba event?:popcorn:

thecontenda

why do we have to wear leathers on the racetrack? i dont want to wear leathers on the racetrack. i want to wear my shorts. if you dont let me ride in my shorts, well, thats discrimination...

TQuig

Pascal;11442 wrote: that's the most humble you have ever been about yourself - proud to have you as a friend :nutkick:

Well, first, if you were any kind of rider.... :D

:hand: right back at ya!!

:box:

Travrsx

Dutch, Thanks for keeping our safety center of attention to the club. That is why I prefer NESBA over other orgs. Motards are NOT being banned, they're just limited to certain tracks. Thats smart. Motards aren't even that fun on a big fast track, are they?

Hunsicker

Yes, thanks for keeping us safe! Seriously. In that spirit, please ban 100+HP bikes at Poco and JC. They're like going fishing with hand grenades.

From an email I received:

"And the triumph of HP over skill that underlies NESBA's reasoning is something they should be embarrassedabout, frankly."

My bike is still NESBA approved, thank goodness.

Skippii

Since this is a serious issue for me, I won't write in verse.
I have no experience with motards, so I don't have anything much to say about that.
But the topic of Ninja250s has come up multiple times in this thread, and I've a lot to say about that.
I've ridden my Ninja 250 at VIR-S, VIR-N, and Jefferson Circuit (twice).
Never once did I feel unsafe as people were passing me in the straights, nor as I was outbraking the same people and passing them at the end of the staights. I don't believe that I made them feel unsafe, either. Certianly my goal is to never make anyone else feel unsafe by my riding.

My Ninja 250 makes around 40bhp. At VIR-N, I was getting an indicated 106-107mph on the front straight. At JC, somewhere in the low 90s on the back straight--not sure exactly as I had better things to worry about. Top speed seems to be around an indicated 118-120mph, though I'd prefer not to say where I achieved that.
I do not know how this compares to the motards in question.
But yeah, bottom line is, it's a slow bike. But I don't think that makes it unsafe.

I'm currently riding a Ducati 800 supersport. The thing is, if I were to go back to JC now, I have no doubt in my mind I'd run faster lap times on the Ninja 250 than on the Ducati supersport. I just feel so much more comfortable, and have so much more experience on the Ninja. More important than that, I'd feel safer on the Ninja as well. I realize this will all change the more I ride and get used to the Duc. My point is just that I think the rider matters a lot more than the bike.
I was talking with Mary at my last track day about people on much faster bikes who went too slow to be safe. When I was at VIR-N, I overtook someone on the front straight who was riding an R6. A few laps later, I passed them again. If that person had been on a Motard, I probably wouldn't have thought too much about it. But on the R6, I kept wondering to myself, "When are they actually going to twist the throttle the rest of the way and blow by me?"

Now, to be clear, I'm not arguing this policy from one standpoint or another. I know nothing about motards.
All I'm saying is that if they try to put Ninja250s in this category, I highly recommend they try riding one in Beginner group on the track first. A decent rider on a 250 can still be faster than a very new rider on an R6, and safer, too. I would imagine that the same holds true for Motards.

Having said that, I don't think that these slow bikes really belong in the I or A groups. I always said I'd ride the Ninja in B until I learned everything it could teach me, and then get a new bike as soon as I got the bump to I.
Well, mechanical failiure changed that plan, but I personally still think the idea was a good one.

Rhino

Motomoon;11319 wrote: You guys do realize that NESBA isn't the only trackday org right?
Amen .... I wonder if they suffer as well with such a liberal member population!!!! :saythat:

zxsixr

This sticky was posted in the SE region also and nobody is complaining about it.
What is the deal people there org there rules........:dunno:

Maryland998

Too close to NAMBLA...

hank;10651 wrote: Excellent point!

So, how about getting people together to start a Motard Club called North East Motard Bike Association (NEMBA)?
If I rode a Motard I wouldn't want a club that might come up in the same google search as NAMBLA.

crewnutz

zxsixr;11892 wrote: This sticky was posted in the SE region also and nobody is complaining about it.
What is the deal people there org there rules........:dunno:
thats like saying if a president makes a f-d up law its his country so quit whining.........businesses that are driven by customers are in the long run a democracy

if people actually cared enough about this rule they would rise up and/or boycott it

obviously there are very few riders that frequent NESBA that ride motards so it is really not a big deal for them to not allow them

thats just my outlook on the situation

Dutch

Hunsicker;11743 wrote: From an email I received:

"And the triumph of HP over skill that underlies NESBA's reasoning is something they should be embarrassedabout, frankly."
How much skill is involved in turning the throttle on a straight? Whoever sent you that, in a misguided attempt to sound intelligent, actually has accomplished quite the opposite.