Motards

bodell

I would not have another one if they paid me to take it. This post is to warn everyone that aprilia 5.5 is less than worthless. The 200 miles it did run were shotty at best. Fuel tank empty in 50 miles, hands vibrated numb and ass chapped and sore after 20 minutes. By the way, did I mention that it is not fast either. RIP POS

Mr.DJ

The purpose of this thread is to communicate information as it relates to riding motards on region specific tracks.

If there is other information you would like to share, creating another thread is more appropriate.

Thanks

Big_J_29

To say this is a little less than discouraging would be an understatement. I currently own a 06 Yamaha R1 that I have used for one begginer session on July 18th at VIR patriot. I love the bike but as far as a daily driver it is not really feasable. I am getting ready to trade it in on a 2007 KTM SuperMoto that will be easier on my back and a much more dosile daily driver that is a blast to ride. However now upon seeing this and not being able to have the best of both worlds and own two bikes I must make a decision. Option (A) Keep the R1 use for a track day every once in a while or Option (B) Trade for the KTM cancel my plans for doing Kershaw on the 5th of September and Save my membership money that I was getting ready to pay along with the track day for Kershaw. I really do not understand being a new person to track days why a 950cc SuperMoto would not be allowed on the Track. Granted it is not faster than the R1 but is sure as hell is faster than an SV650 that is allowed. I do not say this trying to stir the pot. Like I said I am new to this and am just a little confused by it. I had the best time doing VIR Patriot and met some of the greatest group of people and I am a little more than upset that because I have to make a logical choice for myself that I am going to end up missing out on the experience again until I can afford to get a dedicated track bike. I see the Tracks that are available to use the bike on and I guess I am a little confused as to why Barber is allowed and CMP is not, As far as tracks go they are very similar. Is there any way that CMP could be considered as a track that is Available to use for the Super Motards? Thanks Guys.

bodell

A place for everything and everything in its place

http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=1245&highlight=motard

Its all in the thread above....

For what it is worth, you will miss the R1. That KTM is not even a true motard. Motards gain an advantage on tiny, tight tracks mainly due to a huge weight/gearing advantage. That KTM weighs more than the R1 and makes far less horsepower. 422 pounds dry and 113 claimed horsepower is definitely not a super Moto. If anything, I would say it is more like a 1000cc Suzuki V-STROM, than a CRF 450 or any other true motard. Your potential for becoming a better rider is much more attainable aboard your R1, and the accessibility of track days is much greater. I can’t speak for the rest of the "motard allowed" tracks, but VIR patriot was not anything to be compared to Roebling, CMP, or VIR North/South/Full.
As for comfort....
Personally, I do not care to ride on the street anymore. The more you ride the tracks, the less you will want to ride on the street. There is a thread somewhere in here about it. Eventually I will probbibly get a BMW K1200LT to do the long hauls, but I will not give up my dedicated track bike.

ORIF

I petitioned the technical director for permission to take my Hypermotard to CMP 2 months ago and was allowed on the track. I don't think that there were any problems. I rode in the beginner group and the bike was stronger in braking and just as fast in the turns as the 600s.
The litre bikes blew by me on the straights of course. The 950sm is likely faster than the Hyper. The NESBA officials seem quite reasonable and look at the specific bike and experience of the rider and the characteristics of the track. I would recommend that you PM them and ask. I hope to return to CMP again soon and maybe Barber. It was incredibly fun.

Big_J_29

Well I think that the desicision to get married was easier than the one I have had to make here. I weighed all the options. I did VIR Patriot on the 18 of July and my bike was still in Track Trim, I was having such a hard time sleeping last nite that at 2:30 in the morning I put my bike back in street trim and went for a nice long head clearing late nite/ early morning ride. Once I weighed all that I could possibly think of I came to the conlusion that If I want to do track days I need to be a big boy and pull on my man pants and use the damn R1 for what it was designed for. Maybe sometime in the future if the situation is different I will pick up a different street bike but as it is right now I would have to be a Idiot to give up the R1 and the chance to be around the friends that I have made here.

Mr.DJ

We collected some data this year. During the off-season I suspect a modification to this restriction. I wonder if we should change it from "Motards" to single 450cc and below dirt bikes, published top-end speeds, only at Road Atl and VIR.

(Brian, Pitzer and I) Pondering.......

Big_J_29

Hey DJ, Have you guys come up with anything yet on the possible rules revision? I now own the above mentioned KTM 950 Supermoto and I am curious to see how this pans out for next year. Thanks

madriders86

Mr.DJ;89265 wrote: We collected some data this year. During the off-season I suspect a modification to this restriction. I wonder if we should change it from "Motards" to single 450cc and below dirt bikes, published top-end speeds, only at Road Atl and VIR.

(Brian, Pitzer and I) Pondering.......
:)

:popcorn:

chikn munky

Can anyone suggest gearing for Barber (YZ426)? I run 15/42 now but I'm thinking I should be geared a little taller for that track.:notsure:

Big_J_29

madriders86;101175 wrote: The verdict, your honor? Im looking into a supersingles/formula 450 bike to do trackdays on next season. To me it seems common sense would dictate that if the bike will keep up with the SV650's and EX500s (given that those bikes are acceptable), what difference does it make that its got a dirtbike frame and motor? :popcorn:

Thank you for your patience and consideration in this matter :adore:
The Verdict is on page one, the very first post.

madriders86

Yes, I see that and going by that I assume the verdict is that the bike I speak of would be allowed, because the bike I speak of is not what I would call a motard.

DSC01083.jpg

The question was directed at DJ or someone else of higher authority. Thanks.

brianjohnson;57574 wrote: Look, we're not going to get into a huge discussion on this. If there is a certain track to which you would like to bring a particular bike and you're unsure of whether it will be allowed, all you have to do is email me, DJ, or Pitzer and ask. OK?

Just for the record:

Brian dot Johnson at Nesba dot com
DJ at nesba dot com
Jeff dot Pitzer at Nesba dot com
That's all I'm trying to do. I will just get some clarification personally via email when the time comes, as suggested.

madriders86

Hard to determine right now. Everything is kinda up in the air honestly because I'm still in Iraq. A lot going on currently (getting home, then moving shortly after getting home, etc.) so it's kinda hard to start pinning down dates just yet.

Of the three you listed, the most likely would be vir N. I only have the dates that you guys currently have listed to base that on though...

Mr.DJ

Shoot me an email as you get closer to a date, even if it's not one of the three where they are not allowed.

My "official" stance: Your bike falls under modified. However, shoot me an email. Maybe we can work something out when the time comes.

If you are in Iraq for reasons related to preserving or securing human freedom, as a veteran I thank you for the service. See ya when you return.