Motion Pro clutch holder -- having major difficulties

Meat

I have always had major problems with getting the Motion Pro clutch tool to hold the clutch hub in order to get the nut that holds the clutch basket off.

I ended up ruining the clutch hub on a donor motor, and then have messed up the hub on the motor that I am trying to work on (ordered new hub already). I just don't get it. I put the tool on and it just flies off soon as serious torque is applied to the hub nut. I end up really cranking the tension up on the tool and nicely mangle the hub.

I don't have many attempts left as the hub nut is getting rounded. I will also need to install the new clutch hub.

Attached is a pic of how I am using it. There must be a better way to use this tool, or a better tool. Can someone please give some suggestions. BTW: I did order an impact wrench to help out.

sobottka

i'm no mechanic so someone smarter than me should comment here but i use an impact with no holder tool and the nut spins right off.

Ruhe52

Dude impact wrench off use tool to torque back on. Yes it is a tricky biatch but um you are a um well... engineer that ahhhhhhhhh works on aircraft....... Come on man yank your nerd out.
:D

Meat

I had to break down and buy an impact. I just have too much crap and didn't want any more. But, it looks like the impact will pay for itself because I won't have to buy so much vodka to quell my intense rage.

Thanks guys.

stow

Impact driver is the best option. Seems like someone would have mentioned this by now. :D

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
The only time that tool has been easy for me to use was on my MX bikes. Maybe the grooves are slightly smaller on sportbikes?

There are a few jobs that justify an impact gun, and this is definitely one of them.

geekmug

ninjamansc;105048 wrote: The only time that tool has been easy for me to use was on my MX bikes. Maybe the grooves are slightly smaller on sportbikes?

There are a few jobs that justify an impact gun, and this is definitely one of them.
I have done this exact job on my CBR600RR with a similar tool (may even be made by the same Taiwanese manufacturer?) marketed by Tusk. It's possible the Tusk version has slightly different teeth on it? I don't know. However, I had no problem applying large amounts of torque with a breaker bar without it slipping (I am guessing the breaking torque was in the ballpark of 200 ft-lbs). However, I agree that it's best to use an impact wrench for removal and the holder for torquing it down.

Meat, you might try a different pair of teeth.. if you shift one side of the tool over one tooth or more either way, you might find that it sits deeper into the notches. Otherwise, I recommend using the foot peg to brace the tool while you are torquing the nut. Also, I can't tell from the photo, but a lot of bikes use staked nuts and it would require an absurd amount of torque to break it unless you unbend the stake or break it off.

needasixr

Since you already bought an impact this is too late, but you can split the cases and pull the tranny shafts with the hub in tact. Then run to your nearest shop and have them spin it off for you, if you have to have it off.

bigkaley

Control Rider
Just did this yesterday on my '05 GSX-R1000. Had to remove the clutch basket for access behind it.

Like everyone has said above, an air Impact gun is your friend with removal of large diameter, high torque fasteners. An also as said above, only use the air tool for removal, use a torque wrench for installation.

Looking at the pic, your working on the motor out of the frame. If you don't have an impact or are running out of time waiting for the one you ordered, I would suggest that you find a steel rod (or something appropriate) that is the diameter of the upper engine mount seen in the left side of the pic. Make sure the rod is long enough to go all the way through the engine mount. You can then brace the Motion Pro tool against the rod freeing up your other hand to use both on the socket/ breaker bar/ long pipe for leverage and that should be enough to break the hub nut loose.

Also, when using the Motion Pro tool, while it's similar in design to a Vise Grip type pliers, you don't really have to have the tension set really tight. It just has to be snug enough that when you're closing the handles, it slightly "snaps" shut.

Meat

bigkaley;105132 wrote: Just did this yesterday on my '05 GSX-R1000. Had to remove the clutch basket for access behind it.

Like everyone has said above, an air Impact gun is your friend with removal of large diameter, high torque fasteners. An also as said above, only use the air tool for removal, use a torque wrench for installation.

Looking at the pic, your working on the motor out of the frame. If you don't have an impact or are running out of time waiting for the one you ordered, I would suggest that you find a steel rod (or something appropriate) that is the diameter of the upper engine mount seen in the left side of the pic. Make sure the rod is long enough to go all the way through the engine mount. You can then brace the Motion Pro tool against the rod freeing up your other hand to use both on the socket/ breaker bar/ long pipe for leverage and that should be enough to break the hub nut loose.

Also, when using the Motion Pro tool, while it's similar in design to a Vise Grip type pliers, you don't really have to have the tension set really tight. It just has to be snug enough that when you're closing the handles, it slightly "snaps" shut.
Good idea about using the engine mount hole, that should hold nicely. I used a C-clamp cranked down on the crankcase on the blown motor (Dave Pullen's old one that he put a couple lightening holes in the case, by way of pushing a piston through it) to hold the tool in place, but I didn't think that was wise on a motor I was going to use.

I guess when I get the impact comes in, it will be much easier, but the tool just doesn't seem to stay on the clutch hub too well. It was popping off a good bit on the donor motor, but I will try using less clamping force next time, when using the impact.

Meat

Me nut is stuck no more

It sure seems like the impact wrench method is a bit easier. I had no new curse words to invent, just a trigger to pull on the impact. Sweet. And in addition to a big reciprocating saw, every real man needs an impact wrench as well, whether they need it or not. It is just too manly not to own.

I think I will thin the Motion Pro tool a little where it grabs the clutch hub gears. It appears that they are a little too thick to fully engage. The tool popped off the first time I used the impact (I used Kaley's idea with a rod in the motor mount....worked nicely). I really cranked it down and the impact spun the nut right off, but I am worried about warping the new clutch hub on install if I crank it down that hard. But the impact rocked! Thanks guys.

I am also thinking about taking a few spare clutch plates and have them welded together with a rod to hold onto to hold the clutch hub in place. Seems like a much better idea than the motion pro tool I have been using.

Again, thanks for everyone’s help.

bigkaley

Control Rider
Glad to hear it worked for you. Truthfully, I haven't worked on as many newer Kawi clutches lately. I just did a little checking and it looks like the '05 Kawi ZX-6R clutch hub has about 34 splines. My '05 Suzuki has 26 splines on the clutch hub. With that info, I'd venture a guess that the spline width on the Suzuki is wider than on the Kawi which would be a good reason why the Motion Pro tool doesn't sit into the spline grooves as well on the Kawi hub.

Obviously, while the Motion Pro is supposed to be a "universal" tool, every manufacturer makes their parts a little different. If you'd go the route of "thinning" the Motion Pro tool to sit in the hub splines, I would think it would work on the Kawi hub fine. The other option of welding plates together is a good idea also. Good luck either way!

RandyO

in lieu of the "air" impact... Harbor Freight has a decent "electric" for like $35 when it is on sale.. works like a champ.. got a whole box full of air tools but the electric is convenient when air is not available...

Meat

bigkaley;105712 wrote: Glad to hear it worked for you. Truthfully, I haven't worked on as many newer Kawi clutches lately. I just did a little checking and it looks like the '05 Kawi ZX-6R clutch hub has about 34 splines. My '05 Suzuki has 26 splines on the clutch hub. With that info, I'd venture a guess that the spline width on the Suzuki is wider than on the Kawi which would be a good reason why the Motion Pro tool doesn't sit into the spline grooves as well on the Kawi hub.

Obviously, while the Motion Pro is supposed to be a "universal" tool, every manufacturer makes their parts a little different. If you'd go the route of "thinning" the Motion Pro tool to sit in the hub splines, I would think it would work on the Kawi hub fine. The other option of welding plates together is a good idea also. Good luck either way!
Used my angle grinder to take some material off the jaws (the part that engages the teeth in the clutch hub) and it works perfectly. When I put the clutch hub nut on it, it worked perfectly. That is all that was needed, thinner jaws on the tool for the kawi.

Great suggestion BigKaley. The solutions to problems are obvious once you figure them out.....or once someone tells you the solution.

bigkaley

Control Rider
Glad to hear it went well!:cheers:

I've had lots of help/ suggestions given to me throughout the years, so I look at it as a "Pay it forward" kind of mindset.