MotoGP race

JBallz

Hate to be a hater, but Rossi and those around him are stupid!!!!

I had the exact same injury, exact same surgery, and awesome rehab and it took me almost a year to be 100%. All it takes is a little bit of pressure on that leg and he could be permanently disabled, possibly lose his leg.

The risk is NOT worth the return.

tomseviltwin

Control Rider
Yes, for you or I it would be a very stupid risk. For Vale or any other pro road racer, racing is what he's devoted his life to. You don't take a year off from racing (at the pinnacle of the sport) and come back and be competitive. So the choice is between the risk to your leg and risk of losing the ability to do what you've devoted your whole life to. For a professional racer at Rossi's level, that's not the same choice that you or I have. To him, there probably was no choice.

Garrison

tomseviltwin;142932 wrote: Yes, for you or I it would be a very stupid risk. For Vale or any other pro road racer, racing is what he's devoted his life to. You don't take a year off from racing (at the pinnacle of the sport) and come back and be competitive. So the choice is between the risk to your leg and risk of losing the ability to do what you've devoted your whole life to. For a professional racer at Rossi's level, that's not the same choice that you or I have. To him, there probably was no choice.
If you were being paid 7 million a year to ride, and you had signed a contract doing what you love to do most, on a bike that you basically built hand-in-hand with Yamaha...

It wouldn't be a question for me either.

rk97

JBallz;142807 wrote: I had the exact same injury, exact same surgery, and awesome rehab and it took me almost a year to be 100%. All it takes is a little bit of pressure on that leg and he could be permanently disabled, possibly lose his leg.
I hear what you're saying, but...

there is no such thing as "the exact same injury." I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that the world-class athlete has better gear than you and is in better shape. Regardless, everyone's body is different, thus every injury is different.

are you sure you had "the exact same surgery?" Medical technology evolves pretty quickly these days... Rossi had medical staff next to him almost immediately, and was in surgery as soon as humanly possible. I'm betting he can also afford better doctors than your insurance company is willing to pay for.

I believe that you had "awesome rehab," but as noted before, if Rossi's starting with a more in-shape physique, he'll progress faster. I wouldn't be shocked if he's also on some expensive and/or illegal steroids of some sort to speed up his progress.

Garrison

rk97;142947 wrote: I wouldn't be shocked if he's also on some expensive and/or illegal steroids of some sort to speed up his progress.
No such thing in the medical world. And yes, I would almost guarantee you he's on a form of anabolic steroid in order to aid his healing significantly.

rk97

^ true enough. When I had mono, I felt like absolute crap for 7 days straight. Day #8, I got a small dose of steroids from an urgent care clinic, and was back at work the following day. Roids are a wonder-drug.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
simple...bone takes 6-8 weeks to heal on its own....he had a bone stimulator implanted, which decreases the heal time. Also has a nice titanium rod through his leg now. The only thing that would be holding him back is muscular in nature.

Unless there is some neurological injury the muscle will grow back.

So, he will not permanently loose his leg.

Quickone4u

lemondrop;142976 wrote: simple...bone takes 6-8 weeks to heal on its own....he had a bone stimulator implanted, which decreases the heal time. Also has a nice titanium rod through his leg now. The only thing that would be holding him back is muscular in nature.

Unless there is some neurological injury the muscle will grow back.

So, he will not permanently loose his leg.
Yep, that pretty much sums it up as well as the post above about not having the "exact same" injury,surgery, and healing! I work in radiology and the O.R. every day dealing with all sorts of things like this. His progress/injury isn't fake, he just has the best care available to aid him in his quick recovery.

rk97

plus all bodies are different. 2 of my friends tore their ACL's in the same week. They had surgery 3 days apart.

Ross was able to jog less than 7 months after the surgery. Jack struggled to get full range of motion for over a year, and still can't run very far 4 years later. And they were the same age, and of comparable physical fitness. Different doctors, but the same hospital and PT.