mounting a gopro

corey4

how do you guys mount your gopros so they don't fly off at 150mph? i did the april track day at pittrace, took a look at the pics from contact patch photography and my body position is TERRIBLE! i'm thinking video footage would be a good training tool as well.

the bike is a triumph speed triple 1200rs with no front fairing.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
triumph speed triple 1200rs
Sweeeeet bike!
What GoPro do you have?
If you have a GoPro MAX (360° Camera), the farthest back on the bike would give you the most accurate perspective of your body position.
Remember these lenses are extreme wide angle, and so anything you watch will be grossly stretched and can be difficult to use as a learning tool. It's better than nothing, but just remember that.

On your bike, if you still have the rear tail light/fender thing, you could fashion a mount using something like these. (https://a.co/d/15rerGn)
Always use safety wire or some other high strength tether on your cameras. No one wants to be pelted with a GoPro going full speed down the main straights. :)

There are also RAM ball and socket style mounts that I use personally that have a U-bolt to clamp around things like the subframe or the handlebar. Very sturdy and safe. Don't rely on plastic GoPro sticky mounts alone, again always use a tether.

bmart

Control Rider
Hi Corey. The official 3M tape works well if the surface is prepped properly. That method lets you mount one almost anywhere. I've never had one break loose. I also use the RAM system on some bikes. And use a tether also. Here are a few of my mounts.

Highly recommend putting an address label inside and using color so that you can find it if it does fly off. They're never where you expect them to be!

Attachments

• 20201129_161742.jpg
    20201129_161742.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230302_121123.jpg
    20230302_121123.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230302_121114.jpg
    20230302_121114.jpg
    713 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230302_121059.jpg
    20230302_121059.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230302_121045.jpg
    20230302_121045.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220801_080356.jpg
    20220801_080356.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20201129_161849.jpg
    20201129_161849.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20201129_161825.jpg
    20201129_161825.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 8

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
+1 on a tether/safety wire as close to the camera as possible. Mine is on top of the triple and just had the arm sheer between my wire and the camera last week @ Summit. Luckily the camera ended up in the fairing and not somewhere laying around the track. GREAT advice on colored tape and putting name/address in there.

corey4

Sweeeeet bike!
thank you. sadly my current skill set does not justify me having that bike lol. i havent been on anything fast since 2006, and that was a gixxer 750. i took a few years off from riding then spent 5 years or so on dual sports. my brain has to relearn the vision and sensation of speed, if that makes sense.

i have a gopro hero7 i believe that i bought years ago but never used. im looking in to getting a gopro 360 max or insta360. but since i already have batteries and some accessories for gopro, i should just probably stay with that platform.

where do i get safety wire? do hardware stores carry it?

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I use stainless marine safety wire, which comes from west marine or the like, in a 5lb tube. Safety pliers can be had from harbor freight, if you want to look professional.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Street and Comp has safety wire, too. Probably other mc retailers as well as marine places. Typically 0.32 is used. You'll also need safety wire pliers.

bmart

Control Rider
I got mine at Harbor Freight with the 6" pliers. Know that the wire comes in different thicknesses. I got the thick one, but most get the thinner one (easier to work with).

Mine came in a plastic enclosure, but there's this: https://www.harborfreight.com/0041-inch-stainless-steel-lock-wire-1-lb-coil-8895.html

The GoPro 7 is excellent, and you can directly plug in HDMI, which is a sweet option.

You're 100% right about the difference from off road. I took up dual sport riding not long ago. So much is precisely opposite (and unnatural for me). I'll be back on track soon after 7 months off and am curious about how quickly my natural muscle memory comes back.

Come say hi if you get down south!

bmart

Control Rider
And...use clips and clamps on whatever you can (calipers, axle, oil, etc. Then you have to wire but once. I still have most of the wire I bought a long, long time ago (like when dinosaurs roamed the earth). And on long runs, run it through a plastic tube, which will keep your parts from being scratched, and holes out of your fingers.

20220606_105219.jpg

20220606_105236.jpg

MK3Brent

Treebeard
im looking in to getting a gopro 360 max or insta360. but since i already have batteries and some accessories for gopro, i should just probably stay with that platform.
I'm partial to the GoPro's personally. It makes it easy to make quick video edits using the Quik app. (This requires an iOS device.)
Unfortunately, the MAX battery is not the same as what's in your GoPro 7.
MAX uses ACBAT-001 and the 7 uses AJBAT-001.
One of the best bang for bucks accessories you can get for your GoPro 7 is a foam cover that insulates the microphone from the wind. (here's a link: https://a.co/d/hIUQFTy)
I have hardly any annoying wind noise in my YouTube videos and I don't have to fuss with wireless or external microphones.

On the topic of getting use to the speed: This might sound silly, but wearing well fitting earplugs while riding at speed has a psychological effect that helps you to stay relaxed relative to the blasting sound of engines and wind. If you're not already, make sure you wear them.
The farther you look up and out at the track will also help slow down time.
Also, getting your eyes up and looking farther ahead (within reason) will help with LOTS of things when it comes to riding fast.
There's always something new to work on. :)

As Brad said, if you're ever riding down South come say hi!

corey4

ok, so here's my hillbilly attempt as keeping my cameras tethered. will any of this be ok for tech inspection?

20230615_151130.jpg

20230615_151140.jpg

bmart

Control Rider
I would seriously consider a much less complicated redo. I recommend thinking about what can happen with your sitation. The front could come off and end up in your wheel...and looks like it would. The rear could stab someone or end up in their wheel.

Tether it very close to the camera mount so that it can't get away, or into anything else.

I don't know N2's official stance on those posts, but know that other orgs have some chatter about them and they fail tech. If someone goes out with them, they get black flagged. Safety is where it is at.