MR12

NegativeCamber

Bob
Control Rider
I've recently acquired a 5 gallon drum of MR12. It appears to have been open given the weight of the drum not feeling like 5 gallons. I'm pretty sure it has been open since August, stored out of the sun in a garage that I think was insulated. When I started to twist the cap to open the drum, it started to hiss, indicating it still has pressure. I tightened it up right when I heard the hiss.

Two questions.

Is it safe to use?

Second, as wonderful as race fuel smells, it is pretty potent in my small garage, and I can kinda smell it in my house close to the garage and outside the garage. Should I be concerned about that? Is there a better way of storing it?

Thanks!

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I could think of a few places it could go instead of a landfill, lawn mower, leaf blower, generator, etc. I put some U4.4 in my riding lawn mower once and it was awesome cutting the grass and smelling the race fuel!

fowlplayracing

Steve
Control Rider
I could think of a few places it could go instead of a landfill, lawn mower, leaf blower, generator, etc. I put some U4.4 in my riding lawn mower once and it was awesome cutting the grass and smelling the race fuel!
That's some expensive DIY lawn care

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Seal the plastic cap as best you can, and store it in the garage. The smell seems to go away after a while if you don't open the cap.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Another topic Bob, everything ok after your rain incursion, I didn't get a chance to stop over and you were gone when I came over.

NegativeCamber

Bob
Control Rider
Another topic Bob, everything ok after your rain incursion, I didn't get a chance to stop over and you were gone when I came over.

Bike and body are good. Just needed to replace the windscreen and fair stay. 100% my fault. Broke my most basic rule I set for myself when riding in the rain (tip toe the first two laps). Just went to hard to fast. Lesson learned!

LarsDunaway

Rat Boy
Staff member
Control Rider
Your lawn mower is nicer than mine. I tried U4.2 in mine a while ago and it ran like total shit. It doesn't even like premium

gcally

Greg Callahan #11
I would not use any kind of oxygenated fuel in my track day bike. Yes it smells really cool burns white out the end of your exhaust but will wreak havoc on your fuel system if left in the tank and in the injectors for any long period time. You do not need the couple extra HP it gives you. Not to mention you will never get the smell out of the tank once it is used in there. When I was racing and using VP my garage would always reek of VP race fuel (some might say that is a good thing).

If you are racing and running up front than it is totally worth the effort to run race fuel.

Ron R

I would not use any kind of oxygenated fuel in my track day bike. Yes it smells really cool burns white out the end of your exhaust but will wreak havoc on your fuel system if left in the tank and in the injectors for any long period time. You do not need the couple extra HP it gives you. Not to mention you will never get the smell out of the tank once it is used in there. When I was racing and using VP my garage would always reek of VP race fuel (some might say that is a good thing).

If you are racing and running up front than it is totally worth the effort to run race fuel.

Now you got me thinking. What are the negative affects. Wondering because that's the only fuel I've had in my dirt bike for years. It has sat for as long as a year and started on first kick. But it runs a carburetor so maybe that's the difference. Thanks

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Supposedly, MR12 is not friendly at all to many gaskets and seals. Reportedly it can also gum up and coat valve trains (though I'm not sure exactly why - it should immediately burn off). I believe VP themselves strongly recommend not mixing it, and strongly recommends draining it completely from the entire fuel system before storage.

As an aside, you're paying for MR12 and letting it sit in a dirt bike for as long as a year? You must have a LOT more money to burn than me!

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Oh, and that's obviously other than the negative effects of the fuel properties themselves. The fuel will break down and lose potential energy the longer it sits after unsealing.

tdelegram

Control Rider
It also does a number on aluminum creating a rough powdery surface if left to evaporate. I din't think it was that bad until my bile was apart and my intake tracks looked like old weathered aluminum.