MX boots for 1st track day

bike428

lbsaxman;271729 wrote: regular MX boots would pass tech for 1st track day right ?
When brand new riders have shown up with them I have not turned them away however, if I knew in advance I would advise them to buy, borrow, or rent a proper set of roadrace boots. We allow the motard guys to wear them at Patriot. At other tracks I have gotten on the mic to see if someone has a spare set or loaned them a pair of my spares if they are the same size. My alpinestars motocross boots have plenty of protection ....I just don't know what they might do to the rest of my leg/body if the soles grip the pavement during a crash or something else like the straps get caught on something. I'd rather not find out at a really fast track. Just my $.04. :D

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
And if the MX boots have metal in the toe area and you drag...sparks.

I'm embarrassed to say this...haven't read the whole Rider's Manual in a while, but at one point NESBA didn't want sparking knee pucks on the track to avoid spooking following riders. Sparks can be interpreted as a crash is about to happen in front of you..causing a rider to check up.and maybe cause an accident with traffic behind them.

Oh and another thing..MX boots are pretty big/bulky. Kinda of like mittens versus gloves. The dexterity for shifting might not be as good with MX boots.

There..that's my penny..so now between me and Cal..you get a nickel. :D

Lonewrench

More so than that, they just suck for doing what we do period, I would not use them.it would be like using a baseball bat in a tennis match. Excuse the pun but start out on the right foot :)

bike428

Lonewrench;272131 wrote: More so than that, they just suck for doing what we do period, I would not use them.it would be like using a baseball bat in a tennis match. Excuse the pun but start out on the right foot :)
And there you have it folks. The resident expert has spoken. There is a delicate balance between making our sport less intimidating, welcoming, and affordable to the brand new rider and requiring them to have an adequate level of protective gear and preparation to their motorcycle. If there is ever any doubt I will always defer to safety for that rider and others around them.

p.s. DZUM, sparking sliders are as useul as a football bat. (how was that Chucky?) :rolleyes:

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Lonewrench;272131 wrote: More so than that, they just suck for doing what we do period, I would not use them.it would be like using a baseball bat in a tennis match. Excuse the pun but start out on the right foot :)
I always knew they were different, but I was curious as to the construction differences between the two.

When I get back into dirt bikes in the future, I'm going to feel a bit like my wife - "But I NEED to buy more boots...totally different purposes!"

:haha:

Irish01

They are 100% different, much stiffer, less mobility and very hard to to feel shifts, just not practical.

Cal and Chuck have spoken and I agree, seriously they could land up being very detrimental with your road course riding, feel is key!

adding in my opinion,,, 100% IN A JOKING MANNER at the MX track, Hell yes, but I also like to wear mine when I am mowing my lawn and going to the grocery store, just saying :)

lbsaxman

Control Rider
just trying to get my nephew into this track day thing because i know he would love it once he tried it , I am letting him ride one of my bikes and have an extra helmet , leathers , gloves I just dont have extra good boots that would fit . I know he has MX boots so i figured that may work until he gets hooked and then spends a bunch of money on his own stuff !!

lbsaxman

Control Rider
sorry for the delay fellas he wears size 11 boots , anyone have an old pair we could borrow ? any help would be appreciated . also the trackday is June 14 at VIR N in case anyone would be there . Thanks again