My cylinder head diary

Godfather

Don't Forget The Chili

2 BUTTS,

All of this cylinder head stuff is great BUT,

You need to keep you PRIORITIES in order!!!

DON'T FORGET THE CHILI FOR SATURDAY 13 OCT!:D

R/
Godfather

meanstrk

Control Rider
What can you do with this????

DSCF8208.jpg

DSCF8207.jpg

CMP was not kind to me this past Saturday....

meanstrk

Control Rider
I know right? I have a line on a head that is complete minus cams for $175 shipped. Decent? The only other thing I will need is a piston and rings and I can get this motor 100% again so I can sell it. I am parting the whole bike out and getting a new track bike this weekend. I would be willing to donate this to Corey if he wants it for anything.

175 a good price based upon what OEM prices would be. Look at it this way, if the head on EBAY is in good shape, its cheaper than have you old one remachined (if that is even possible) or buying a new one. Right now its a boat anchor.

This is where the 4 stroke people have it good...good used parts on EBAY when shit explodes!

BZ

HokieRider

Wow Bubba...i would've hated to have been in the saddle when that happened...

did it give you any warning? or just the all at once?

meanstrk

Control Rider
That carnage was my bike this past weekend. Luckily it did not hole the piston or lock up. It would actually start and run like that too! I dumped pieces of valves out of the header when I pulled it..

It was all at once. On decel from T11 to T12 at CMP. Just before the apex of 12, it happened. No downshift between the corners, just nice and smooth and then BRAAAAGGGGGRRRRRRR................ Carnage. I am just glad it did not oil the track at all and screw it up for others.

HokieRider;256628 wrote: Wow Bubba...i would've hated to have been in the saddle when that happened...

did it give you any warning? or just the all at once?
As meanstreak says "Its his"

I ride a two stroke Hokie, which in simple terms means "No valves" :p

Sorry for the thread jack Cory.

BZ

corymac

Ron,

We could fix it but, you would have to have a insert for the spark plug. The shop I work at, we don't have the tooling to do the job right. I have to take the head I'm working to another shop to get them to install the seat rings I need put in. We don't have pilot sizes that go down to 4.6mm. Also we don't have cutters small enough to bore out the seat rings. I'm buying a pilot for work so I can at least cut the valve job I want.
Your head is not too bad you should see some of the stuff we have. You don't have a piston inside the int port. Ah your head is not that bad :D

meanstrk

Control Rider
It would cost more to repair than it's worth to me though considering I can get another head complete for $175 shipped. I am sure you see some crazy carnage in your line of work!

corymac

New updates. So I started making a flow fixture for the flow bench and I removed the seat rings that were bad. Next I will weld the deck and then cut. Then I will install new seat rings.

Flowfixture.jpg
[/IMG]

removedseatrings.jpg
[/IMG]

corymac

More updates. I got the deck welded. Tomorrow I'm going to get some seats put back in. I would cut for the new seats myself at work, but are tool holder for are seat and guide machine does not go small enough. So I'm droping the head off in Charlotte to get that done. After I get the new seats in, then I can go ahead and design a valve job for the head.

Deckwelded.jpg
[/IMG]

physicistkev

Control Rider
Corry,

Two questions.

How much would all of the work you are doing cost a layperson?

How much performance will be reaped from the efforts? I understand this is not a straight forward answer, but an idea of where power would be gained would be nice.

I ask because I want to understand the scope of work and how accessible the results are to varying skill sets.

Thanks,

Kevin

corymac

Kevin,
I really don't know how much it would cost. Shop rates are all over the place. Chuck would be better at price point for this stuff. Since I do this for a living I don't have a clue what things cost for labor. I went to a shop here to find out what they would charge for putting the head on the flow bench and they wanted $100 a port. I was what the HELL!!! That is way over price to me. Your are looking at $200 to flow a int port and ex port, which only takes about 20 to 30 mins to flow. That is almost $400 hr shop rate. So I'm going to invest my own time to make a flow fixture for my flow bench at work. When this is all said and done I will try and firgure out what this would have cost.

Power wise, there again I work on cup engines so I'm not 100% sure on the power gains. I feel like when I'm done this should be at least worth 10 to 15 hp. I would like to when I'm done with this, to send the head down to Chuck and have him look at it and tell me what he thinks. If this was a Nascar cup engine I could tell you 1000% on what type of hp gains I would be looking at. So maybe I mess the head up and killed hp by 20 don't know yet :D The ex ports on this head seem to need the most work. Once I get a baseline on what the head flows and the volume of the head I will be a little better at given some hp gains maybe.