My Track Days are Done

bons

It is with great displeasure I make the decision not to ride or get on the track, unfortunately after a serious crash on the street and almost losing my right foot I feel it is the right choice. Just to explain a bit further on Sept. 1 I was on a ride with a group of people going on a leisurely ride to get lunch and while going thru an easy left hand sweeper I lost all air in the rear tire in a spot where there was no run off. To make a long story short I was air lifted to INOVA Fairfax underwent 4 surgeries to repair a broken femur, broken knee cap, multiple breaks in the tibia and fibula and finally a compound fracture of my ankle which required the removal of my left lat and plastic surgery to try and repair the entire ankle. I spent 26 days at INOVA Fairfax and 12 Days at Mt. Vernon rehab and have recently returned home to my wife without whom I would have gone mad; I would also like to take this time to thank everyone on the ride that took care of me until the ambulance arrived. I would especially like to thank Ray who I can’t thank enough for keeping a level head.

I want to let everyone with in the NESBA organization and all the riders (some of which have turned into great friends) I will miss the good times prepping for a track day and the thrill of being on the track will you all. As we all know this addiction grabs you hard and the thrill of being on the track is something you just can’t shake. I still have family and friends who will be taking part in future track days and as soon as I’m able to get around on my own I will be back in the paddock lending a hand where I can.

A few members of NESBA I would really like to thank are Morph and Mary for bumping me earlier this year at Summit Jefferson you both made my entire year with the recognition that my riding skills were in fact improving. Also to all the CR’s out there who provided essential feedback thank you all.

I wish you all good luck in the future and do hope to see you sometime next year.

Geoff Doyer

Sorry to hear about your injuries Chris. I too almost lost my leg in a street crash. I spent 3 months in the hospital and endured seven painful operations to repair the damage. When I got home I was in the same mindset as you - never again. It took a few years but eventually I got bitten by the bug again. I choose only to ride on that racetrack where many of the uncontolled dangers of the street simply don't exist. The years I spent riding on the street I saw some friends die and others get severly injured. And I only did that for about two years. I have now been doing trackdays since 2000. My only crash at a trackday was in 2001 and trust me I do a LOT of trackdays. I have never witnessed a death since doing trackdays but of course it can and does happen. Racing is a different story but that is not what we are talking about here. I am not saying that what we do is safe by any stretch but I am saying that should you ever feel the need to get back on a sportbike then you might want to strictly limit your activity where the variables are mostly controlled. The real point of my rant is to keep an open mind to the possibility of returning to the sport and more importantly - DON"T GO SELLING ALL OF YOUR STUFF just yet. Heal up and take care of your wife!

snikwad

im calling dibs on something, lol.

yeah you will most likely be back.
a good friend of mine that used to preach, Rhon, take it to the track, youre wasting time out here, these twisties are fun, but are nothing compared to the track.

then one fine easter sunday back in 06 a few of us hit some back roads and he wrecked. broke his back, by shattering a vertibrae and fracturing the 2 above and below it. had to get airlifted from there.
luckily spinal cord was untouched.
well guess what.
almost a year later he bough another bike, and is back on the track.

1st time he got airlifted it was from the track.

some people wont stop till they absolutely cant, some only need a simple scare.
as G said, hold on to your stuff, because you may be the former, not the latter

toptaz1000rr

godspeed recovery .. and follow your heart... i was paralyzed (right leg) (about 8 weeks) from a bad street accident .. and 2.5 years later i had an itch.. i got a new bike.. spent a little time on teh street and now i do double duty .. with emphasis on the track ..

glad that you have a good support system (family)

physicistkev

Control Rider
Sorry to hear about your incident. I took a mini vacation from riding after a nasty street fall. Took me about 6 years to get back on the horse. I still have the same bike I crashed on :doh:. It took me a long time to get back since I got into other things such as boating, my career and oh yeah... I got married. I can vouch for the great family thing. A great family makes just about anything tolerable.

You might be back, you might not. That will be your choice, but like many have said here, the track is very different from the street. I hope that you do come back as I think riding is one of life's true treasures. Corny... I know, but that doesn't make it untrue.

LesPow

Control Rider
Sorry to hear about your accident, it just happened and that sucks. But your alive and getting better. Keep positive thoughts and time will tell.
PS were you riding in Bear Mtn?

fastfatguy

Chris - I couldn't believe it when Brian told me! It's something you never want to hear about a friend and fellow rider. I'm glad that you are back home and getting around! In the mean time I guess Joan will get more track bikes (aka diamond rings and other expensive jewelry):D.

Hope to see you soon and stay positive!

Mike

PatrickMitchell

WOW! I am glad that you are going to be OK. I certainly will miss pitting and riding with you. If there is anything I can do for you guys, please let me know. Please take care and stay in touch.

Dr. Evil

I pray you heal up well.
I respect your decision. I made the same 25 years ago. After a 3 day stay in the hospital I saw how the motorcycle accident affected my wife and 2 boys. I sold the bike and bought a pick up and never looked back. That is until my yongest went off to college!
:agree:

Motofun352

Control Rider
You gotta do what's right for you...sounds like "family first" which I agree with by all means. Stay open to the idea that times and conditions change...Who knows what the future holds? (Sell the bike if you still feel that way next spring, BUT keep the money reserved on the side, just in case) :notsure:

dolfnz67

I wish you a speedy recovery. I agree with Geoff, don't sell anything yet. Give it some time before you make any harsh decisions.

wildbill

Chris,

Glad to hear that you're back at home and on the road to recovery. I had a street crash last year and my wife and I both ended up with a broken ankle. I know that's not nearly as severe as what you are experiencing but a lot of the same thoughts went through my head. As many have said don't do anything rash but make sure you keep things good on the home front. You have to keep your families needs factored into all your decisions. Remember a positive thought/attitude greatly speeds recovery. That being said if there's anything you need some help on while you're recovering please let us know and we'll be up to see you and take care of it!

Bill

bons

Well it's been quite a while since I last posted with regard to my accident and I want to thank all of you for the input and well wishes, but as much as it pains me I have decided that I will not be returning to riding of any sort. Believe me this was a tough decision and every time I think about it it just makes me cry (I know but it's true) I will miss everything associated with riding, this was a passion that grabbed me hard and not easily dismissed.

Geoff, I can't thank you enough for replying to my post and I seriously considered every word but after promising my wife I would never ride again and considering the fact that something like this can happen anytime, anywhere I just can't bring myself to get back on a bike and have that possibilty of putting my wife and family through it again. I would also like to thank all of you for all the input with regard to riding and I did consider just riding the track but again it all comes down to the possibility of another wreck and more injuries.

Being that this is something that I really loved I do plan on staying associated with NESBA as much as possible and I plan on attending as many track days as possible especially any day a friend or family member is planning to ride. So in the long run you haven't gotten rid of me yet!

Thank you all again, be safe and hopefully I will see you all again soon.

vanbreezy

Hey Bon sorry to hear about your accident and injuries. I ride strictly on the track because i find it safer and doesn't present the dangers of riding on the street. Heal up take your time, just never say never.

bons

Hello again,

Finally sat down and got some time to go through my x-rays on cd so I thought I would share:

femur.jpg

foot0006.jpg

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
yea...there will be some hefty arthitis down the line.....

that calcaneal fracture probably wasn't fun....you musta been non weight bering for a while....hope all is healing well