My track only bike, Keep or remove chain guard?

Picked up a new 2013 Honda CBR600RR last weekend and am working on making it my track only bike. I was wondering well I am taking all the street junk off it if I should take off or leave the chain guard on it? What is everyone else doing with their track bikes? Thanks Scott

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I actually took mine off, finally, when I was rebuilding it following a nasty crash, as I had the swingarm replaced. I don't know why I removed it, what the purpose might be, I just noticed that most track-only bikes didn't have it. Now I get to have chain lube fling in more places, LOL. Not sure of the purpose of removing it, but I did. No issues. If nothing else, it looks cooler. LMAO.

I don't know about Hondas, but when I removed the pod on the left clip on, I left the clutch switch intact. Apparently that's necessary for Suzukis.

I would recommend a shark guard.

Nice trackbike choice, btw.

GriffinD

I took mine off as well but I don't think it matters either way for a track bike. If you're an expert racer, you may want to save the ounces and remove it. Agreed with what Judy said about the shark guard. I've never had to use it & hope I won't ever have to but it is nice knowing it's there just in case. I got the Graves shark guard and installed it within a few minutes.

some guy #2

I take mine off just to get as much plastic junk off the bike as possible. It makes visual inspection and maintenance easier although only slightly.

Myers

Control Rider
Removing it makes visual inspect of chain sag and tracking a little easier. The biggest "help" I saw with remving it was during rear wheel change out. It was easier for me to work on the rear wheel without that plastic "slop stop" in the way. Either way is ok.

Thanks everyone!! Already put it in the trash heap of junk I removed... Put my race # on tonight....Now I am getting somewhere, Pipe and Puig windscreen going on tomorrow and have my set of new Q3 tires ready to mount..

dbakerpa

i dont know if Fitz is still on the site but I bet he would recomend you keep it. Toe in sprocket =bad.

mike574

I'd say keep it, a chain coming off at speed can be a bad thing. The only reason I could think to remove it is maybe for faster tire changes. Why remove somthing that is there to help you. that being said neither of my bikes have them the previous owners remove them most likely for looks

Mikey75702

scotman623;n593261 wrote: Thanks everyone!! Already put it in the trash heap of junk I removed... Put my race # on tonight....Now I am getting somewhere, Pipe and Puig windscreen going on tomorrow and have my set of new Q3 tires ready to mount..
Might want to keep it on a shelf for a bit.... I agree with others, took mine off, didnt like the chain lube everywhere. Would suck to throw it away, then decide you want it later.

Mikey75702;n593445 wrote:

Might want to keep it on a shelf for a bit.... I agree with others, took mine off, didnt like the chain lube everywhere. Would suck to throw it away, then decide you want it later.
When I said trash heap I really was saying in a box of other road only parts I will put in my basement....I will probably keep it in my trailer so I can put it on at the track if I decide too..