N2 Racing - suggestion

crewnutz

Just a thought as an idea for a different class of "racing" for N2 to host...

A club in the UK recently started offering a separate competition on race weekends called "Time Attack"

It basically is a superpole style competition where riders go for the best lap time as opposed to gridding up and racing. It was received very well by the competitors. There is one or two timed "qualifying" sessions, then a final "shootout" session which is basically like a superpole. Fastest lap won the competition and received an award/trophy/bragging rights/etc...

Could be a cool way to introduce a new style of competitive event without actual racing.

Anyways, just an idea.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Sounds like a great idea. They just did a Moto Gladiator race for the small bikes and it seemed to go well. Maybe they could do this when that isn't being offered.

crewnutz

My idea....

You have one (or two) open 20 minute session(s). Top 10 fastest go to Superpole. Then for Superpole you allow people out at 10 second intervals and each rider only gets one sighting lap (out lap) and two flying laps. The rider who can post the best time wins.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
My idea....

You have one (or two) open 20 minute session(s). Top 10 fastest go to Superpole. Then for Superpole you allow people out at 10 second intervals and each rider only gets one sighting lap (out lap) and two flying laps. The rider who can post the best time wins.
Pretty cool Brandon!

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
No way to make every one happy. I would think the best way to implement would be to ensure that the std day is 7/20min rotations. Any "extras" would have to be handled either by extending the day or cutting into the 1 hr lunch break.

There were some that loved seeing the motogladiator race and others were quite vocal about how upset they were to lose time they paid for.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
No way to make every one happy. I would think the best way to implement would be to ensure that the std day is 7/20min rotations. Any "extras" would have to be handled either by extending the day or cutting into the 1 hr lunch break.

There were some that loved seeing the motogladiator race and others were quite vocal about how upset they were to lose time they paid for.

I agree with Dave. Those who participated in the MotoGladiator races really enjoy it, as do some who were watching. However, I also heard comments from others who didn't like stuff eating into available session time. We need to be very careful about what our "Brand" is, and who our members/customers are. Doing something like this on a race weekend might be interesting, though that's really a WERA/CCS call - not an N2 call. I would not be in favor of adding this to a normal N2 weekend.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider

I agree on the not pleasing everybody part. I don't think it should be a routine thing, but running a mock race of some sort serves as a good "feeder" program into CCS/WERA. If I had to guess, the majority of those complaining about lost track time also routinely pit in early and/or skip at least one session a day...

The size of the groups dwindles like crazy the last two sessions of the day. I can't remember a single TD where the last session of the day had just as many riders as the first one.

crewnutz

End of the day I don't really care one way or the other. A friend who is clerk of the course for a UK racing club posted about it so I figured I'd share.

I thought it was an interesting concept.

tdelegram

Control Rider
I participated in the gladiators stuff and enjoyed it but would hate to take track time from others like we did. There are racing orgs to do that in but I liked that this as a friendly less intense race. I think the right compromise would be to have the races between 5:00 and 6:00 for those who want to participate, the entrance fees should cover the extra time for the course workers and no one get ripped off of their track time.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
It is an interesting concept. John is right in that particularly on Sundays, the last couple sessions are pretty wide open. However, that's also because a lot of people plan to get on the road since they have to work, etc, and have long drives home (like many of the staff/CRs). Tom has a good point that you'd have to do it at the end of the day if you're going to take more time away from regular sessions. Problem is the cost. You have to commit to paying (if it's even possible) to keep the track longer (it's often just not possible) and my guess is that entry fees would not likely cover the cost of the track, corner workers, marshall, medical.

I'm not bashing the idea. Like a couple others, I'm just mindful that on typical track days, both Novice and Intermediate sell out before Advanced. Having often been the last bike out on the track at the end of the day because Novice riders I'm coaching are still out there, I know that we usually have N and I riders staying to the end more than A riders. Given that this idea would absolutely take even more time to execute during the day than the MotoGladiator races do, I think it's an idea that would need a lot of thought. Think about what just one red flag would do during the "Superpole" in terms of the time to get it completed....

CBRtist

Interesting. I can see advantages to that type of race.

I dunno. Maybe it's because I'm a napper and like the long mid day break on race days, but I get the format isn't for everyone and can't please everyone and do every thing.

I wanted to see a separate 300 class in addition to all groups and run 15s. Then if you had a second bike, you could get 30 mins of track time. Just hate seeing the little lightweights/kiddies thrown in with big bikes. But was glad for the compromise with MotoGlad.

Ron R

If a regular track day isn't effected in any way I think you'd have no problems adding races. I would guess that 99%+ came to "N2 Track days" for track days as advertised. To try and widen its track day appeal with racing you may just alienate the core customers that keep the lights on. I was at another clubs track day when they talked about racing during a track day and 10 to 1 moans over cheers were heard. I love riding with N2 and if I stay healthy and time permits I'd like to try a race or three. If that day comes I'll find a venue that "racing " is in the header. Take care. Ron

Motofun352

Control Rider
Should take care of core business first. I remember when NESBA used to do the single group all day sessions (forgot what it was called). 2/3's of the members were excluded and weren't thrilled.

Last edited:

Backmarker

Control Rider
Should take care of core business first. I remember when NESBA used to do the single group all day sessions (forgot what it was called). 2/3's of the members were excluded and weren't thrilled.

Those were "A" group only days... mostly held on the third day of a long weekend. Usually at the end of the year to reward the CR's for their efforts.

But true... you get outside the box with "extra" stuff at a trackday that doesn't give everybody the same return on their investment.. you're going to loss revenue at some point.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
N2 offers the WERA license/mock race course on Saturdays on N2 weekends.

I think that's about as far as N2 needs to go to bridge the gap between racing and track days for those of us that feel the desire to make that leap.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Those were "A" group only days... mostly held on the third day of a long weekend. Usually at the end of the year to reward the CR's for their efforts.

But true... you get outside the box with "extra" stuff at a trackday that doesn't give everybody the same return on their investment.. you're going to loss revenue at some point.

The days I'm referencing were beginner only and intermediate only. I remember doing them at Beaver, just can't remember the 3 letter name...ESP? STD?..no..no...that wasn't it.:rolleyes:

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Yep..Skills Enhancement Days. First ones were at Beaver Run in 2007. I met this young Latino kid there with a large cranium there that day in the Beginner group day.

NESBA had some at VIR as well later. I went to an Intermediate SED day and met this guy we now call Jiggy.

It wasn't actually a horrible idea. There were LOTS of CR's at these events. The intent was to give these groups a more focused day.

Kind of the first run attempt at the ATP days N2 offers now in the sense that the intent was to give members a day of more dedicated instruction to help them
meed their goals as riders.

Backmarker

Control Rider
SED.... I have no problem with this idea... It's a day set aside for just that...SED...one or two groups dedicated to just that...

Not a bunch of shenanigans in the middle of a track day...carry on...