Neck Brace. Has anyone used crashed one, on a bike?

Cooly0

After my crash at BHF, I had the Dr. go into the details of how neck damage occurs and why. With that being said, has anyone had any expirence with a Neck Brace or Neck protection system.

I see a few from Alpinestars-Bionic-Neck-Support $290 to one $499.

JHerheim

Not trying to be a knob here. But exactly what kind of accident are they protecting you from? And what is the frequency of said accident?

It would appear that it would help when you toss yourself head first into the side of a Van, or car on the street, or maybe into a wall at the track. I'm sure it happens, but what other than money are we giving up by wearing one?

noobinacan

I think the most important piece that I don't see enough people wearing are impact shorts.
I picked up a pair of Dainese and its been great so far.

I wear my Fieldsheer undersuit over the shorts, so the suit moves around my body easily...
There's a bunch on that site and gives an idea, The Damon hard tail looks like would be perfect.
http://www.allsportprotection.com/Mens_Padded_Shorts_s/513.htm

just saying, i think shorts are more important than a brace...at least in my previous experiences.

I think the bottom line is, whatever you get. you must feel comfy enough as to not notice it at all on the track.
There is such a thing as over-doing it, restricting yourself and movement and feel on the bike.

HokieRider

That neck brace very closely resembles the HANS devise that NASCAR and F1 use. There are several drivers that attest to it saving them from serious injury. But i agree with a few of you that it has to be comfortable. if it seriously inhibits the rider then its pointless

but it would be another very nice security blanket