Need advice on a new track bike

hangontight

So, I've done two track days and am hooked now. The problem is, during the last session of the last track day, I crashed my Buell and the insurance company totaled it. I am now in the hunt for something for track days.

My question is, will a 600cc inline 4 be big enough for me? I'm 6'3" 225 lbs. I loved the low end torque of my Buell xb but I got passed like crazy on the front straight. I'm trying to decide between buying another Buell XB12 and getting a 600cc inline four. I figure it is probably good to get a bike that is a little underpowered that way it forces me to learn good technique. The reason I ask is that I've never ridden an inline four, I've always had twins (v-twins and parallel twins).

Also, what about SV650's? They seem to be popular track bikes but I have a hard time believing they could keep up with a 600cc inline four or 1200cc v-twin? Am I wrong to think that?

I felt really good last track day and feel that I could be ready for "I" group after one more track day so I want a bike that is going to have enough power to advance with me. Is a liter bike too much for a person in my shoes?

Slowninja

I'm no pro, but a newer 600 will be plenty of bike. IMO a SV it a bit underpowered. Sure they can go fast but i'd rather have a few more ponies. I'm like 235 and my old 600 goes enough for me.

jsin38

I love my SV and recommend them to everyone...except in your case. It may be a bit cramped for you and it does have shorter legs on long straights.

itaintall

Glad you enjoyed your track days. My two cents would that I don't think it so much matters what you ride. find a deal on a used sportbike, have fun, and enjoy what ever you end up with. Don't spend too much time ruminating over details of your equipment (except of course for safety/maintenance); concentrate instead on having fun and getting better each time out.

I loved my time on my SV, and I love riding the R1 too. Most would consider these as opposite ends of the spectrum, but they really don't seem that different to me. The R1 is faster in the straight parts, but who cares? That's not the fun part anyway. I do like the adjustable suspension, but flailing the dog snot out of the SV made me smile every time too even if it had cheapo legs and no top end.

Different folks like different things, but for me, if it was a race, the equipment would matter; since it's not, it doesn't.

RCM78

I'm 6'4" 250 and learned on a CBR600F3 when everyone else had R6's. Go for the 600. It'll teach you how to ride more better.

I like the 03-05 R6 or the current R6S. The 06 and up models are too peaky for a beginner.

pearsonm

I’m 6’3” and 205 lbs with a 36” inseam. The stock riding position of my SV650S fits OK. I tried some riser plates for the pegs earlier this year and couldn’t find a tolerable position. I’ve owned a YZF600R, R6S and F4i and they each fit fine in their stock configurations.

I went with the SV for two reasons: 1) To force myself to learn to carry corner speed rather than make it up on the throttle and 2) To keep my costs down so I can buy more track days. I couldn’t find a used SV at enough of a discount to risk getting a lemon so I went new, but now I’m faced with spending a bunch of money to make it a proper track bike. There are race-prepped 600’s everywhere, I just don’t know how to pick a good one by reading an online ad.

If you go with an SV realize you’re going to get blasted in the straights. You’re also going to have spend some time and money on the suspension (the stock forks are fine with a Traxxion damper rod kit but don’t waste your time with GSX-R, 636 and ZX-10R shocks). However, it’s satisfying as hell to go around the outside of someone on a bigger, faster bike. The tire bill’s a lot easier to take, too.

phoenix

you could expand your search. Maybe look for a Triumph 675 (a cross between an I-4 and a V-twin)

or maybe look for a twin since you may feel more comfortable on them already? If not a tricked out SV, how about a Duc 748 or a Honda RC51?

Lots of bikes on the WERA board.

rcr14

"candle sticks make a nice gift,find out where your registered maybe a nice place setting".lol I would add,get something you can get go-fast parts for cheap&spares too. gsxr750/600,R6. theres a ton of those on this forums' bike section all of which seem well sorted.:notsure:

hangontight

thanks for the tips guys. I found an 04 R6 locally that perks my interest. Its pretty much fully track prepped so thats good I figure.

fitz

hangontight;83043 wrote:
I've done two track days
I crashed my Buell
I felt really good last track day
I could be ready for "I" group
No comment

Anyway I LOVE my 08 R6, the only advantage I see in a more power bike is if your pace is a little faster in the turns than the person in front, you get a free pass button in the straights. But honestly I find it much more fun setting them up in the turns for the pass in the straights.

fitz

rk97

buy whatever bike is most comfortable for you. It's a subjective call. I felt like I was 'on top of' the R6, and like the feeling of being 'in' my Honda better. This is despite others my height complaining about CBR's being 'cramped.'

A less powerful bike makes you a better rider. There are some days I wish I'd gotten an SV650 to push myself a bit more, not to mention that they're easier on tires.

I feel like the 600cc class are the most balanced bikes out there. good power, but not so much that you're worried about high-siding yourself all the time, and enough to pass bigger bikes on the straights if you ride them right.

and there's a lot to be said about having a popular model at the track. more parts to borrow/buy/trade when necessary.

Snow

hangontight;83361 wrote: nice bike but that's a bit too far for me to travel. Plus, I'm looking more in the $3k price range.
Worth a shot. Good luck with your search.