need help rebuilding front calipers.

Smiley

Hello all,
I need some help.
I'm rebuilding my calipers and I cant get the pistons out.
any one have any tips?
Thanks in advance
Smiley

JGardy_781

Use an air compressor and a blow gun with a rubber cone-shaped fitting to blow air into the caliper body through the hole where the banjo bolt went. It doesn't take much pressure. Use something to absorb the energy from the first piston that flies out (I use wood door shims or rags jammed inside the caliper body - like a champagne cork poppng out, the pistons can carry more energy than you think). Once the first piston is out, hold it in place over its seals to repeat the process for the remaining pistons.

stive403

JGardy_781;8301 wrote: Use an air compressor and a blow gun with a rubber cone-shaped fitting to blow air into the caliper body through the hole where the banjo bolt went. It doesn't take much pressure. Use something to absorb the energy from the first piston that flies out (I use wood door shims or rags jammed inside the caliper body - like a champagne cork poppng out, the pistons can carry more energy than you think). Once the first piston is out, hold it in place over its seals to repeat the process for the remaining pistons.
^^ what he said. compressed air is your friend. be careful though, cause they will come out with some force when they come.

CSASS

I rebuilt my front calipers this summer and my mistake was that I did not pull the lever to use the brake fuild to push out the pistons far enough before i took them off the bike. So, I had them off the bike and unbolted... very dumb. I had a hard time getting the pistons out. What I did was I used a rag and back of a screw driver (the handle). I place the rag over the pistion opening then jammed the back of the driver into it and which created a snug fit to pull them out. Not the standard but it worked. I did buy a couple of piston to replace any of the damage ones.

Pascal

I use three small c-clamps. clamp 3 of the 4 pistons and gently blow out the third. if you are replacing the seals make sure the wet them in brake fluid first. also replace the copper crush washers at the banjos if you took them off - they are only good for one use. I cleaned mine before the last event and it made a huge difference. also check to make sure the slider pics are in good shape - for some reason the ones on my gixxer are getting chewed up.

bigkaley

Control Rider
Compressed air is the trick, but make sure to turn the output pressure on the compressor way down!!! Stick a shop rag in the caliper so the pistons don't come flying out and get damaged. And finally..... don't have your fingers anywhere inside the calipers when the pistons are coming out!!