Need schooled on which fuel management route to go

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
For a '08 R6. The only reason I'm looking into this is because I have to ditch the factory belly muffler in favor of a Y pipe so race plastics will fit. I'm keeping the stock slip on.

PCV, Bazzaz, or just do a ECU flash? I would like add a quick shifter to the bike later, but Bazzaz makes a standalone unit so it's not that big of a deal. Then again, to buy the Bazzaz QS and ECU reflash, it's all about the same price as the PCV+QS+ignition module, or the entire Bazzaz route, or the Bazzaz QS+ECU reflash.

As far as tunebility, the motor is going to stay all stock. If it wasn't for the race plastic issue, I wouldn't be changing the exhaust at all. Which route would you go, and why?

tdelegram

Control Rider
I have the bazazz zi-fi with qs and traction control on my street ktm, it incorporates a wide band o2 sensor and does data logging to his a specified fuel air ratio. You must apply the changes after you ride it's not real time self adjust. That being said I do like the tune ability and i can remap the bike at the end of every session should I choose too. I usually map it after the first AM session and leave it for the day, it may end up a little rich due to cooler AM temps but never had an issue. IF you get their QS, get the GP pattern, it's very hard to activate and do the shifts fast with the standard pattern. The TC is very binary on my bike when it kicks in it's like a light switch on or off, for my track model I went with a different TC brand altogether. I have the PCV on my HD, which was much easier to install (due to no QS or TC) and it's really plug , upload map and play. They both do what is advertised but end of the day they are piggy back models changing the stock ecu's signals. I have been using TUNE ECU with my track ktm and modifying the ecu directly for tuning and am happy with the results so far. So there you go 3 answers and clear cut decision.

z064life

tdelegram;262630 wrote: I have the bazazz zi-fi with qs and traction control on my street ktm, it incorporates a wide band o2 sensor and does data logging to his a specified fuel air ratio. You must apply the changes after you ride it's not real time self adjust. That being said I do like the tune ability and i can remap the bike at the end of every session should I choose too. I usually map it after the first AM session and leave it for the day, it may end up a little rich due to cooler AM temps but never had an issue. IF you get their QS, get the GP pattern, it's very hard to activate and do the shifts fast with the standard pattern. The TC is very binary on my bike when it kicks in it's like a light switch on or off, for my track model I went with a different TC brand altogether. I have the PCV on my HD, which was much easier to install (due to no QS or TC) and it's really plug , upload map and play. They both do what is advertised but end of the day they are piggy back models changing the stock ecu's signals. I have been using TUNE ECU with my track ktm and modifying the ecu directly for tuning and am happy with the results so far. So there you go 3 answers and clear cut decision.
What did you do for TC? I use bazzaz and the TC is very adjustable...Mine does have a lightswitch area but that's how I programmed it and it can be changed.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Lonewrench;262667 wrote: Flash it, 350.00 job done
How/what do I do if I change my exhaust set up or anything that would require a retune down the road? Also, I'm getting mixed responses from googling if I still retain the speedo/turn signal functions after a re-flash. Can you clear it up?

01wj

Flash it. Had a guy on r6-forum do mine and I couldn't be happier. Got rid of my pc3, ignition module, etc and all the factory restrictions on the throttles. Not to mention, absolutely could not come close to beating the price anywhere.

j_fuggin_t

Otto Man;262696 wrote: How/what do I do if I change my exhaust set up or anything that would require a retune down the road? Also, I'm getting mixed responses from googling if I still retain the speedo/turn signal functions after a re-flash. Can you clear it up?
you don't, you take it out & have it dynoed for your bike, in which it costs the same reflash all over again, once they flash it, its flashed for what you have on the bike at that time. I've heard the r6 has alot of restrictions, where mine does not (09 zx6r, or rather no one that flashes these things can tell or guarantee me a positive gain that i'll get from it) i personally would get it flashed and have all the restrictions removed & then run a bazzaz fi/qs to gain the tuning capabilities for your selected dyno tuner

Kmysiak847

I would suggest the stand alone bazzaz z-fi and skip their traction control and QS. Their traction control has a very unnatural feel very notchy (on/off) plus I like using my wrist as my TC. Im sure others will disagree but thats just been my experience. As for the QS do yourself a favor and forget about bazzaz and dynojet and get yourself a strain gauge QS like the HM or annitori you'll never go back.

bacolmm

I've got a 2011 750 and just installed a Yosh full-system. I had the ECU flashed, got the bike on the dyno and it was lean, sent it back to be re-flashed, got it back on the dyno, it's better, but not perfect. I just ordered a Bazzaz set up with auto tune. My understanding is that you can unlock a lot of performance on the R6 with a flash (irregardless of the fuel map) not the case with the 750. This is my first time putting a full-system on a bike, and so far I'm not impressed. I only picked up 1 HP. It was the same dyno, different days, so I know it's not exactly apples to apples, but still. The A/F ratio is pretty good up top, so I'm not expecting to pick up much HP with the Bazzaz set up, just smooth things out. When they flashed my ECU they said they "optimized the timing maps for 91+ pump gas", not sure how that affects things, but I'm thinking about sending it back to get the timing put back to stock.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I found an awesome deal on a PCV with Auto-tune, so I went that route. The only thing left is getting a quick shifter, but I have lots of time to decide if I want to go with the Dynojet route or a stand alone. Most likely, it'll be whatever I find in used, but like new condition (Like the PCV/auto tune I just got), to save more money. :)

I'm sure spending several hundreds at a dyno shop would probably yield best results, but all I care about at this point is making sure the bike runs well with the exhaust changes needed to fit race fairings. I like the auto tune route, as I can change whatever I feel like down the road and just run it.