Need suggestion for 1st-time boot purchase

Corsair

With the riding season approaching plus some expected opportunities for track days this year I need to purchase my first set of boots. I apologize if there was another thread for this kind of thing. I did try a search but results seemed largely to be WTB's or FS's in the Classifieds.

I've tried on three different pair over the course of motorcycle ownership-- one pair at a local dealer, another at a vendor tent at the AMA's last year, and a spare set Zippy had (but were too small). All three seemed to present me with the same problems:

-Toe height (from bottom of sole to top of boot) seems awfully big
-I don't feel like there's enough "give" in the ankle and top of the heel to properly get the boot under and over the shifter.

I think if the foot was more flexible then the toe height wouldn't be a problem. I've ridden two years now on the street with Mil-spec suede boots and of course they're flexible as a sneaker so that's why it feels like such a drastic change.

Are there levels of boots or brands that have better flex for the foot (i.e. the more $$$ ones)? I'm willing to spend the money on a good set because I would plan to pull double duty both for street riding and for track. Ideally I'd like to stay around $300 or under.

Thanks in advance for your help!

fitz

Corsair;177677 wrote:
Are there levels of boots or brands that have better flex for the foot (i.e. the more $$$ ones)?
From my experience from the boots I have and the boots I've tried on, the more $$$ the more protection, the less they will flex.

I have a nice pair A*s, what size do you wear?

fitz

BigKid

Sidi vorteches, replaceable soles, extremely comfortable. Only downside is you will never be able to wear another motorcycle boot ever. I hope they never stop making them.

madriders86

You don't want the boots to flex. That's what protects your ankle, and that's why your GI boots aren't very good footwear for riding.

RyanITV

Admin
BigKid;177689 wrote: Sidi vorteches, replaceable soles, extremely comfortable. Only downside is you will never be able to wear another motorcycle boot ever. I hope they never stop making them.
+1 - All other boots feel like shit to me since I switched to Sidi 4 years ago. The vertebrae on the sides saved my ankle when I highsided, did a cartwheel in the air and came down with all the force on my left foot. Minor sprain, rode the next day. Any less of a boot and I'd have demolished it.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Lots of good choices. I use the Alpinestar Supertech R. As others have said, they don't flex that much. The Alpinestars do a bit. What will help is for you to adjust your shifter lever up a bit so your toe in you nice, new, better-protecting boots fits under it. I had to adjust mine when I got a different model boot, as the toe box was a bit thicker. At first I thought something was wrong with my transmission, LOL.

Gorecki

I have the SIDI Vertigo Air. So far been a great boot. They're my street boot as well. Vents can be closed for colder rides and haven't been too cool to wear even down to 40 degrees.

TeamBeer

I have Sidi Vertigo Mega Goretex. They are great boots, but I have wide feet and I don't think the Italians have ever seen wide feet. They are fine to ride in, but aren't so good for walking as they don't flex at all, but during a track day I can take them off between sessions. I opted for protection over comfort, since I couldn't fine any boots wide enough.

bmart

Control Rider
Alpinestars, for sure. There are a few models to choose from, depending on your budget/risk thresholds.

They provide superb protection while feeling like wearing slippers. And...the venting works!

Saltman

I'm probably gonna get a lot of flack for this... but, I tried on the Sidi Vorteche boots and I didn't like them. They fit well, and will provide some of the best protection, as well as has plenty of replacement parts, but it took me like 10 minutes just to put them on!! So many little attachments! Ughghgh! I caught a cramp trying to bend down in leathers and put those things on.

I just got myself some zip up TCX boots and they fit under the shifter fine and I can have them on in 10 seconds.

fitz

Saltman;177729 wrote: I'm probably gonna get a lot of flack for this... but, I tried on the Sidi Vorteche boots and I didn't like them. They fit well, and will provide some of the best protection, as well as has plenty of replacement parts, but it took me like 10 minutes just to put them on!! So many little attachments! Ughghgh! I caught a cramp trying to bend down in leathers and put those things on.

I just got myself some zip up TCX boots and they fit under the shifter fine and I can have them on in 10 seconds.
:agree:

I was seriously thinking about buying the Vortice but after the time it took to put them on I couldn't see me doing that every session (I like to take my boots off in between sessions).

I now have the TCX boots, WOW they are some SERIOIUS boots!

IMO these are THE boot for the track.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-s-race-boots

fitz

bmart

Control Rider
Those do look pretty slick. Are the vented or just breathable? Most of our track days in the south seem to be over 100 degrees.

03bueller

Control Rider
I have a pair of dainese torque out boots, very conmfortable, easy to wear, not to mention they've carried me through 2 accidents without injury.

Just upgraded to a pair of axial pro in boots and all i can say is wow, very comfortable out of the box, excellent protection all around the ankle, it's basically a carbon fiber cage that you slip your foot into then secure with velcro and a zipper up the rear, not to mention it has a lacing system up the fron to allow you to snug the boot to your foot like a shoe. I'm sure there's more but I can't think of it now, all i can say is great boots!!

BigBird

so it seems the moral of this story is that your on your own, just like most things motorcycle related. Some people love/hate the same boots. Get the best for your budget, and almost any of the brand name boots, that are geared toward racing, will probably work for you.

Find one that fits you comfortably and you should be good to go.

smack28752

Most top shelf boot brands offer good protection. The key often comes down to the last of the boot and how it fits your foot. Of course they need to fit snugly with no pressure points. Foot width, arch height and even calf size come in to play.

Most European manufactured (or at least designed) boots run more narrow than a typical US shoe/foot. Some manufacturer's offer a wide option, Sidi Mega, e.g. but as noted above, even those are fairly narrow.

I wear Sidi Vertigo and really like them because of the features, fit and relative comfort, even though I have a wide foot with a very high arch. I have been wearing Sidi cycling shoes since the early 90s and they have always made high quality and consistently good products. As others have mentioned, they can be a bear to put on and can be pricey. I usually buy mine during the off season from prior year's stock. If they were top of the line two years ago, they are good enough for me now! I've crashed in the boots and they help up great and I had no injury.

Best advice I have is to try on several brands, determine price point and features and buy the most protection you can afford. You will get used to the stiffness and the boots will loosen up a bit with wear.

I also like A*s, TCX and Gearne.