Need Track Statistics for Thesis.. Any help is appreciated!!

NateBarr

Hey guys,

I am writing a thesis to finish up grad school and move on to med school.. And I need some help. I want to write my thesis on the effects of helmet/gear, along with rider knowledge and experience on the outcome and likelihood of motorcycle crashes.

Just so you know what you'd be supporting, I would be pushing for the idea of gear + rider saftey training. Here's where I need the help... I want to show the effects of other inexperienced drivers (both cars and motorcycles), by comparing road versus track, since on the track you are typically paired with riders of similar skill levels, and even the most basic of riders are still far more proficient than the standard street rider. Additionally, the track stats should show the benefit of wearing full gear. For example, say there were 500 track wrecks per year, but there was only 1 death, whereas there are say, 25 deaths per 500 crashes on the street.

So, what I really need are track statistics - preferrably from several different tracks. If there are any records of: Number of track riders/year, number of crashes/year, number of deaths per year, etc. that would be immensely useful.

Riding has been a huge part of my life, and if I'm going to spend several months composing a well developed argument, it might as well be something that I support. If I am unable to find track stats, this will significantly reduce the credibility of my argument, and may inhibit my ability to pursue this topic - so if you have any connections with track owners. managers, etc, please let me know. This may be of use to them for insurance liability purposes, or for general saftey marketing of motorcycle racing.

Many thanks in advance!

-Nate

NateBarr

Thank you for checking into the stats! I didn't go into much depth in the initial post.. The difference in conditions/hazards is more of a issue of comparison than a flaw in the thesis statement.. which is more along the lines of gear and experience protecting you from serious injury. The track info will be useful to help illustrate the likelihood of experienced, well protected riders sustaining serious injury or death in high speed crashes - not involving collision with another vehicle. I definitely agree that there is a huge difference between hitting a car in oncoming traffic, and sliding into gravel!

Thanks again, I look forward to the response!

vice

VIR crash claims teenager
By Jason Wolf
Published: August 19, 2008
» 1 Comment | Post a Comment
vote
nowBuzz up!ALTON — A teenage motorcycle rider has died of injuries he received in a three-way crash Sunday morning at Virginia International Raceway.

Toriano Wilson, 14, of Bermuda, was competing in the Red Bull AMA U.S. Rookies Cup Series race at VIR when he fell off his motorcycle on Turn 6 of the first lap and was accidentally struck by at least one other rider while trying to get out of the way. Luciano Ribodino, of Argentina, and Garet Tomlinson, of Fort Worth, Texas, were also involved in the crash.

Wilson was airlifted to the University of North Carolina Hospital in Chapel Hill, N.C., where he was pronounced dead early Monday morning. Ribodino, 14, was transported in a separate helicopter to Duke University Medical Center in Durham, N.C., where he is in stable condition and receiving treatment for a broken left arm and broken left femur. Tomlinson, 15, was not seriously injured in the crash.

The teens were posting top speeds in excess of 85 mph.

“The AMA and Red Bull have a long history in racing and every effort is made to create the safest possible environment for all participants,” Red Bull race series spokesperson Jordan Miller wrote in a press release. “Unfortunately, racing also carries inherent risks. This was a tragic accident and our thoughts are with both families at this time.”

Virginia International Raceway public relations officials declined to comment.

Wilson’s death is the third fatality at VIR since the track reopened in March 2000 after being closed for 25 years. It is at least the fourth fatality since the track originally opened in 1957.

vice

there is more than enough info for off the track accidents.

as for on the track for fatal injuries your going to have to compile news articles, probably better off narrowing it down to a region of two-five tracks, and motorcycle accidents that fall within that region. (off track)

as for normal off's that are not fatal, I highly doubt your going to find anything.

you could possibly get a number from this weekend at VIR, and just make it an average.

dbakerpa

This will be flawed paper. I suggest you re-evaluate your thesis. Unless you are already in med school. Not being a dick but I am on the admissions commitee for our PA school masters program and see the writing on the wall if they ask for your thesis. Even your statment is ill defined. IMHO please dont take this wrong.

NateBarr

Haha, alright. The description I gave up top IS NOT MY THESIS PAPER, NOR IS IT MY THESIS STATEMENT! My thesis statement is not ill defined, because it is not present. This is simply me REQUESTING data on a FORUM. I provided the info I thought would be sufficient to explain why this data MAY be useful. Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't really need thesis advice on a motorcycle forum - I already have a thesis advisor on the Boston University Med School Admissions Board.

Vice: Yea, that's what I'm thinking as well. The best stats I can obtain will probably be the number of riders per year and the number of deaths per year. As far as crashes go, I am hopeful (although highly doubtful) that some tracks keep records of this sort of thing. Thanks man.

dbakerpa

So you did take it wrong-but very eloquently told me to kiss your @$$. LOL. Best of luck. For your street data check morbidity and mortality table data. Each state has a table available.

NateBarr

Sorry, my response was definitely on the dick-ish side.. long day. I should have originally posted a more concise summary of my thesis plans.. I was just trying to save time. When classes settle down in a couple weeks, I'll post up the abstract.

Thanks for the recc on the data table - that will help with the analysis. Have a good evening.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
OK..so I'm going to say this and probably be the asshole. But, I really don't care.

After the year we had last year with the losses we suffered amongst our Family..I think asking this on this forum is in extremely poor taste.

My 2 cents on this topic..I'm done with it.