Neighbor wants to buy a track bike

rk97

I was unloading my trailer last night, and a kid walking with his brother & sister stopped and ask me if I race my bike.

So I chat with the kid for a few minutes, and he asks me about our local Honda/BMW/Ducati dealer, and tells me he's thinking of buying a BMW S1000RR to start riding on the track. :doh:

I told him that would be a terrible (financial) decision, but I don't think he believed me. Hopefully I get a chance to talk to the guy again before he makes any major purchases. He's already got a Harley, so I'm thinking there will be a LOT of financing in this guy's future. He didn't look to be more than 20 or so.

On the bright side, I may have finally found a local buyer for my old leathers, and someone to split gas with on longer trips :D

Spitz

Maybe he thinks what a lot of guys own harleys think, "hmm my 1200 harley isnt all the fast, im sure a 1000 sportbike wouldnt be much faster" mentality.

rk97

Oh no, he's "ridden crotch rockets before."

I was as nice as I could be, and explained that it's 95% rider, and 5% what bike they're on. I don't think he believed me, but I told him to go look for an SV650, or an older 600. Throw something cheap down the track a few times, and THEN buy something nice. Even if you don't crash, I think an inexpensive bike allows you to appreciate a nicer one when you make the switch.

I really hope the kid stops by next saturday when I'm loading up for Summit. He'll learn - I just hope he learns before he blows a lot of money on 10 times the bike he needs.

Hell, he can ride Nelson locally (he specifically asked if I've been there) on his Harley. Some guy had a V-Rod out in their novice group last Saturday. No reason any other cruiser wouldn't do just as well.

Even though I suck, hopefully this kid will do a track day in B with me and see a very small bike can hustle very well in the turns.

Especially if I am not riding it ;)

BZ

rk97

Well he was walking, so he knows where I live, but I don't know where he lives - just that it's within walking distance :p

He'll probably ride Nelson before he does an NESBA dates (close & cheap is a tough combo to beat...), but if he's serious about riding, I'll make sure he gets to the right place :D

Gorecki

rk97;203658 wrote: So I chat with the kid for a few minutes, and he asks me about our local Honda/BMW/Ducati dealer, and tells me he's thinking of buying a BMW S1000RR to start riding on the track. :doh:
Well, not to be a weiner but "you can lead a horse to water but..." and if he's really interested and doesn't listen to wisdom, so be it, learn the hard (and $$$) way, either way you've done/are doing what you can to be the cool dude! ;)

rk97

it's cool that he asked. It's not like I hate talking about riding :D

this sport is expensive enough without adding a $14,000 bike to the intro cost.

If the guy is living at home (probable) and has a full-time job (possible), he may have a really huge track budget. But all good things come to an end...