Nelson Ledges or BeaveRun

stephenjpauls

Hi all,

I'm from the Mid West, but my wifes parents are in Eastern Ohio. I took a look at the tracks page and found that there are two tracks less than 2 hours from her parents and am going to try to plan a trip where I can drop her and the kids off, and go have some fun myself! Assuming we have some track days at Nelson (none posted yet) I wanted to find out which you would prefer given the choice? Nelson or BeaveRun. Thanks so much for your input!

JVance

I would have to say Beaver Run. The people who love Nelson REALLY LOVE NELSON. I don't get it myself. Beaver is a nicer track, better layout IMO, more elevation, better facilities...the one thing Nelson has, which I guess does carry a lot of weight, is the highest average speed of any track I have been to (I've been to most of the SE and MA tracks). You will have fun at either and you will want to do both. The decision is which to do first.

John
WERA 607

Matt H

I guess I fall into that "the people who love Nelson REALLY LOVE NELSON" category! I have serious fun at that track. It has the ability to minimize the difference in horsepower between bikes, offers lots of varied passing maneuvers, and has the bike on lean for what feels like forever in turns (which is so cool). The camber of the track rules. I would not pass up an opportunity to run it if you have the chance. It does take a while to get going on though, as visually you just don't think the track should be that fast - but it is!

Katie785

I love Nelson, But if it were my first track day (or even my 5th) i would probably be scared to hell of all those bumps!!... I would reccommend BeaveRun - great traction, flowing layout, and you may even see a tornado or 2!

RyanITV

Admin
Matt H;31454 wrote: I guess I fall into that "the people who love Nelson REALLY LOVE NELSON" category! I have serious fun at that track. It has the ability to minimize the difference in horsepower between bikes, offers lots of varied passing maneuvers, and has the bike on lean for what feels like forever in turns (which is so cool). The camber of the track rules. I would not pass up an opportunity to run it if you have the chance. It does take a while to get going on though, as visually you just don't think the track should be that fast - but it is!
And I might add that I've heard Matt finds the on-site lodging at Nelson particularly comfortable.

Ryan

JVance

My #1 improvement to make to Nelson would be to make the damn toilet stalls a little bigger. My knees are jammed into the f'n door. You almost have to pull you pants down then get into the stall and close the door after you are seated.

I guess these are true racer toilets and not desingned for the 6'+/180+lb folks.

Katie785

JVance;31480 wrote: My #1 improvement to make to Nelson would be to make the damn toilet stalls a little bigger. My knees are jammed into the f'n door. You almost have to pull you pants down then get into the stall and close the door after you are seated.

I guess these are true racer toilets and not desingned for the 6'+/180+lb folks.
i was just happy to have a shower this year.. last year they were tarps hanging from the ceiling and a garden hose basically hung up as well.. we even have fake flowers in the girls room now!!

rk97

In my limited (one season of) track experience, I've done more days at BeaveRun than anywhere else, and nearly as many at Nelson. And NESBA is on NL's schedule already, so I'm thinking 'the contracts are in the mail' so-to-speak.

The bottom line is they're two totally different tracks, and both really fun ...but Beave is fun sooner.

Pros for Beave:
- surface is 95% awesome. patches in T5 are nothing to worry about at all. it does get a little bumpy coming out of T7, and there's a little dimple at the end of the front straight that you tend to hit passing on the brakes (not on race line)
- clean facilities. showers and toilets are clean, warm, well lit, etc.
- elevation changes. Turns 5-6-7 are my favorite part of the track

Cons:
- more expensive than NL, but still not super expensive by trackday standards.
- short-ish layout (1.8 miles)

Pros for NL:
- FAST. you can average over 100mph (in A group) and probably top-out a 600 on the back straight. there's only 1 real braking zone on that track, coming off the back straight. i barely touch the brakes for turn 1 in 4th gear.
- fun layout. As a couple people noted, the carousel at Nelson is a huge, long double-apex right-hander. It seems like your knee is on the deck for 20 seconds (top of 3rd gear, IIRC). sweet sweet feeling to get that down and run it faster as the day goes on.
- CHEAP! $145/day last year?

Cons:
- Surface is no better than 60% overall, arguably worse... But the race line is close to 80%. it's very rideable (especially at B and I pace). Because it's bumpy, it's not exactly confidence-inspiring, which is why I said "Beave is fun sooner."
- facilities are old. it's basically a farm, with a shack for showers and toilets. as noted, the toilet stalls are tiny. I put it on par with a cheap camp ground. tolerable for a weekend, but not a week.
- run-off. they've moved some tire walls back, and it's not terrible, but it could be better. WERA still races there, but some of the riders boycott NL. Then again, they're running 1:09s or better there, and in B group, 1:20 is pretty respectable (CR's correct me if i'm wrong here. there wasn't a timing beacon in October, so i'm going by Kevin's seat-o-pants meter)

I honestly think NL is a great and fun track, but definitely challenging. If you want to have a relaxing weekend, learn a new track and have some fun, run Beave. it's great. But man, after my last weekend at NL, I feel like I can go fast ANYWHERE now. If you want to improve your skills, and save some cash, do Nelson. and NL is fun too, just not til later in the day, when you get the confidence to hold it wide open through the kink.

stephenjpauls

Thanks so much for the input all... it sounds like both tracks would be a blast... By the time I get out to either track I should have a good 12 - 15 days under my belt (7 last year, and should have at least 6 before I get out there.) However a nice smooth surface is appealing, not to mention I get plenty of time on a wicked fast track already as Road America (4.1 mile track with the front straight around 1 mile long) is in my "back yard". Because of that I think I'm leaning towards Beaver, but I will wait for the Nelson dates before I make my final decision.

NoBull

Make no mistake - Beaver is fast too. You're WOT on 2/3's of the track. It's just the first 1/3 that's not wide open.

rk97

if the NL website can be trusted, June 20 and 21, and August 29 and 30 (Beave is the same weekend, so I would bet Nelson is a "midwest" event in August)

stephenjpauls

I saw that, but I figured that there was no way that there would be 2 tracks so close to eachother on the same day. If it turns out that the Nelson site is corect, It may be a great opportunity to find a track with less people on it... Not sure. If that was the case, I would probally choose the track that was likely to have less people on the track to get more open track... But that also depends on what my inlaws are doing and if I can make it that weekend.

brn6604

stephenjpauls;31552 wrote: I would probally choose the track that was likely to have less people on the track to get more open track...
The last Nelson weekend there were 18 people (+CRs) there on Saturday. Based on the above I guess you would consider that a pro. The lone A rider conceded to a two-group 30 minute format. Most would consider that a pro (I wish I had the endurance to take advantage of 30 minute sessions).

I don't even know how the finances work out on that, but I'm glad NESBA keeps it on the schedule. Nelson has sentimental value for me and I like variety. If it were a one shot deal though I would ride Beaver over Nelson.

rk97

brn6604;31603 wrote: The last Nelson weekend there were 18 people (+CRs) there on Saturday.
and fewer on Sunday. it was awesome.

brn6604;31603 wrote:

I don't even know how the finances work out on that, but I'm glad NESBA keeps it on the schedule.
The finances don't add up on this. Any other org would probably have canceled the event, upsetting the track owners, and those members who did sign up. I remember Todd saying something like 'hopefully Nelson remembers this in the future.' I don't doubt that the current owners will. huge props to NESBA for operating this way.

Personally, I think the poor attendance was really due to nerves about riding an Ohio track in late October than anything else. The June event was very well attended, and they had a tornado!

dlockhart5x

My brother and I made the trip to Nelson last June. We had a good time meeting some MA peeps and checking out a new to us track. My brother even scored some road kill with his SV. I got to spend a few sessions learning to ride my Mille and was starting to get the hang of it and the track.
We are not in any hurry to go back to NL.
It is not a good enough experience to justify our travel time/ expense.
This year we are going to try and make it to the Bev and meet a few more MA folks and try out another new to us track.

pefrey

rk97;31747 wrote:
Personally, I think the poor attendance was really due to nerves about riding an Ohio track in late October than anything else.
I think that's pretty much it.