NESBA - Operation Bone Stock?

speedfree

Use an M4 y-pipe, keeps stock headers, butterfly, and can. Pretty minimal mod, IMO.

...another fool on his phone.

Mr.DJ

Thanks!

I did look at those. This maybe a slight compromise as it is now missing the extra weight. We didn't realize the bodywork wouldn't fit with it.

Looking at cost to mod the belly pan ,or buy another, would be the same at the pipe. So figuring what would a person on a tight budget do - I ordered the Y-Pipe ;).

So right now the mods are:

Upgraded brake pads
Added the Y-pipe (Chuck@PCW installing tomorrow)
Race upper and lower
Q2s

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
What about braided steel brake lines?

$75-$100 modification...they'll help with preventing brake fade.

speedfree

My 07 with stock brake lines was out braking some pretty heavy hitters going into T1 at Summit and North, for that matter. It's more about good fluid, I think.

Often the braking battle isn't won by who gets on them the hardest, but by who gets off them first...

...another fool on his phone.

Mr.DJ

@JVance - :agree:

dlockhart5x;242320 wrote: when does this experiment take place?
Cycle Jam 2012 (Jun 7-10).

Once Taylor submits his license and entry form, we will post the races entered. We will do the same with Alan F.

crewnutz

put it this way

stock bikes with high performance street tires are fully capable of winning novice club races and top 10 in expert club races with the right rider

95% of novice racers do not need all that extra stuff on their bikes

BigKid

Hey DJ, I have never had a race license. I think that qualifies me for an novice. Give me a loaner bike and I'll race it.

Mr.DJ

Thanks Jim! Due to logistics, costs and the modifications needed, we may move this project to series of NESBA weekends. The first starts tomorrow at VIR. No need for case covers, dampener, cat bypass for bodywork, diff/mod'd bodywork, etc.... Just to get Taylor to do one race was a little much (Travel expenses, Race school, License, entry, timer fees and tires). Trying to kept the project to stock and all this was taking away from it.

We all agreed that maybe doing this project at trackday, with Taylor riding in each group (following group rules) and posting his times would provide a great deal to those interested. Then he could provide his feedback real time and members could see this in action on track vs. just race results. His trackday lap times could be compared race results to get an idea of how it ranks. It appears he has quite a few folks asking about the setup already.

Alan F. is still going to the WERA RA round and I am 45mins away - So, we may still have the stock bike out there in Expert (Alan, not me). I will just take the bodywork and other parts to pass tech (case covers and dampener) off my A bike - with Shane "Stow" and myself being there, maybe it will make it in a novice sprint. Who knows.... either way, it will be fun to see a few races and supporting a local WERA National.

RADAR Magnet

Mr.DJ;243517 wrote: We all agreed that maybe doing this project at trackday, with Taylor riding in each group (following group rules) and posting his times would provide a great deal to those interested. Then he could provide his feedback real time and members could see this in action on track vs. just race results. His trackday lap times could be compared race results to get an idea of how it ranks. It appears he has quite a few folks asking about the setup already.
This may prove the point even better as guys watch him fly by with their own eyes; hope I'm there to see it.

ckruzel

a few years ago jeremy toye ran a stock bike at infineon, i think it still had the license plate holder on it and the headlights were taped up, it was a magazine test bike

pearsonm

Could you guys include rider weight in your data, please? The conventional wisdom is that 180 lbs is the most stock Japanese suspensions can take.

I'm interested in your results. I started with a stock SV and S10 pickup but got frustrated with getting blown away by race-prepped, four-cylinders. Now that I've got my own race-prepped, four-cylinder I'm frustrated with the cost of all the 'necessary' equipment (aftermarket shock, reworked forks, tire-warmers, generator, trailer and V8 truck to haul all that crap).

matt2212

pearsonm;244577 wrote: Could you guys include rider weight in your data, please? The conventional wisdom is that 180 lbs is the most stock Japanese suspensions can take.

I'm interested in your results. I started with a stock SV and S10 pickup but got frustrated with getting blown away by race-prepped, four-cylinders. Now that I've got my own race-prepped, four-cylinder I'm frustrated with the cost of all the 'necessary' equipment (aftermarket shock, reworked forks, tire-warmers, generator, trailer and V8 truck to haul all that crap).
http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=24662