NESBA probably saved my life!

slowpoke

I’d like to think that by NESBA getting me off the street and teaching me how to ride, they saved my life.

WHAT I KNOW FOR SURE is that NESBA definitely enriched my life in a way that I’ll always be grateful for – the friendships, the memories, that bond, and the incredible amount of fun.

Had mixed emotions about posting anything on here b/c this post has much less to do with me and much more about saying thanks as I take, what I hope to be, a short break. We’ve all seen first-hand when life throws us a curveball and things are left unsaid, and I didn’t want that to be the case. Some recent and unexpected success at work along with the need to at least show an effort to save money and move out of the city (need to actually LOOK like I’m trying to be responsible --- ssshhh!) have forced me to re-prioritize and hence: taking a break.

Back to the original intent of the post…. A few years ago, my motorcycle experience consisted of a couple of years riding Harleys on the street which didn’t include any safety gear other than sunglasses (retarded, I know). My brother wanted a beginner’s sportbike so I went to look at the FZ-6 he was considering. Long story made short: he didn’t buy the bike and I somehow left the dealership on a discounted, leftover R1 having never thrown a leg over a sportbike before. Of course the guys at the dealership cautioned me up and down about how careful I had to be on the bike so I bought a helmet and rode it home promising Liz I’d always wear a helmet on the bike.

That ride home scared the shit out of me and I quickly realized that I knew absolutely nothing about riding a performance-based motorcycle. 90 MPH in first gear – WTF?! Then, I remembered the guy at the dealership telling me the bike came with a free trackday where I could learn to ride this monster of a bike. When he mentioned it at the dealership, my first thought was “A racetrack? Why would I ever go there when I’m not sure I can even ride this thing on the street?” Then it was “Man, I’ve seen all those idiots in Philly racing around on the street and wadding their bikes up so why would I ever go the racetrack and hang out with these people? (found out later – they were called “squids” and I was at risk of joining their ranks with my Icon helmet and matching dragon themed jacket – sorry Icon).

Went back to the dealership to find out more about that organization they kept talking about which sounded like NAMBLA and I just couldn’t remember the damn name of it. The sales guy let me know if I wanted to learn how to actually ride the bike, it was called NESBA, and if I was interested in other types of riding then NAMBLA could probably accommodate me as well, but I digress. He went on to explain he used to ride with NESBA having progressed through the ranks to their “A” group and told me to ask for his dad who was a CR/Director.

Two weeks later with a new racesuit, Arai helmet, decent gloves, boots, back protector, and I was off to learn how to ride this thing b/c it was overwhelmingly obvious I had absolutely zero natural talent at riding motorcycles – literally zero. To me, that’s what makes this story, and more importantly NESBA, that much cooler. Rode the bike from Philly to NJMP’s Lightning with my mind made up that I was about to get some lessons from what would probably turn out to be a bunch of stunting, crazy, reckless, “crotch rocket” riders. I also made sure I brought a decent amount of cash b/c I knew they would nickel and dime me to death.

As I made my way through tech like a lost puppy, a few CRs quickly came over to help ‘the noob’ and within minutes they were taking the mirrors off the bike, removing the squidly tag from the rear axle, loaning me painters tape, etc. Ah-Ha!! Here comes the shakedown for money since I literally came with nothing other than my riding gear and some money. Once I passed whatever the hell “tech” was, I discreetly handed the ‘instructor’ some money. He looked back like he saw a ghost and refused the tip, and we both sat there, looking at each other equally confused by the other’s actions. In came another famous CR, who then informed me that he’s a retired a police officer, he’s armed (confirmed by lifting of his shirt), and let me know he’d shoot me if I ever did that again, and he was positive it would be a justifiable homicide. These guys are helpful yet sarcastic ball busters………….? Holy shit --- I found a new home!

So, my image of this thing they called NESBA wasn’t a little bit off, it was 180 degrees off. The rest of that first day was one great surprise after another as I was taken by these “CRs”, given a seat under their canopy, gatorades, , tire pressures changed/checked/re-checked, chain adjusted, etc, and taken around the racetrack in what was one of the funnest days of my life to that point. As the day went on, it became obvious the only “skill” I had was a willingness to learn and a strong desire to have as much fun as possible.

Just before the end of that first day, it happened and it scared the shit out of me --- my knee touched the ground and the hook was set!

We came back to the pits, I walked over to Lenny, Will, and big Rob asking them if the parts trailer sold knee pucks in bulk. A quick yet confused look from them, followed by me showing them the biggest, goofiest, grin they had ever seen – I mean like the Cheshire cat kinda grin. They seemed almost as excited as I was: one because they remembered their first day, and two becuase they knew they could bust my balls for the next few years about that giant dumbass grin I get on my face way too often.

So all that babble about how I ended up here: NESBA partnered with Yamaha to help people enjoy their motorcycles to the fullest by riding safer (check), faster (check – hey, it’s all relative), and better (check). After squeezing tons of days in that first season, there were constantly Nesbians taking me under their wing to help me along and to keep me safe all the way to A group. The following season I was honored to be in a position to give back what I learned and got one of those badass, orange shirts hoping to be able to help some new, lost members just like I had been only a year prior.

Since then, it’s been one of the greatest experiences of my life. Yes, the racetracks are awesome; the bikes are fast and perform incredibly well; BUT the people, the friendships, that bond of sharing a corner leaning on your friend literally shoulder-to-shoulder, fairing-to-fairing – that’s NESBA. Seeing somebody have a mechanical or crash and everyone dropping what they’re doing to help another person out – that’s NESBA. People helping people wanting absolutely nothing in return except maybe a smile. Riding around the racetrack in triple digits laughing in our helmets – never thought it was possible. A lanky, goofy bastard like me being taught to ride a bike at an “expert pace” (backmarker but still) having never thrown the bike down the track after well over 100 events – all of this happened thanks to amazing instruction (and a great bit of luck) –that’s NESBA! The best part of all is watching that noob walk in lost at tech inspection just like we all were, a few hours later seeing him with a grin almost as goofy as mine, then the scrape on the knee puck, then ‘I’ then ‘A’….. F’ing awesomeness!!!

If you’re new to this sport and you’re reading this for the first time, prepare to smile and laugh until it literally hurts! If you’ve been around, then I want to thank you for letting me share your hobby. To all the staff, you guys/girls all rock – every f’ing one of you.

I’ll be back soon, but for me, the thank you just couldn’t wait.

Thank you, NESBA. Now go help some noobs, you phuckers……

flyingpig.jpg

A Harley guy could someday ride a sportbike on a racetrack? I guess pigs can fly, right Sanders? :D

andykurz

Really a good story. I went to my first NAMBLA :notsure: track day at NJMP this May and looking forward to many more. I hope to have a tenth the success that you did.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Awesome! You will be missed. We all remember our firsts...the first day, the first knee-down. And the big grin that I still get on my face after a good day. Those grins never go away, I hope to have more of them as I enter my 17th track season, and my 5th with NESBA. Where the hell did that time go??

ToddG

Control Rider
Director
Chris,

I can still remember your first time out at the Beave' as if it were yesterday. I hope your time away is brief and we'll all miss your goofy ass! You are the poster child for what an open mind and determination can gain you. Stay intouch!

Todd

speedfree

That's maybe the best ever story of why NESBA and the trackday community is so consuming and joyous. Thanks for writing all that and sharing the love!

...another fool on his phone.

rob92

Control Rider
N2
Well said, sir! I can still remember that goofy harley dude walking over and pointing at the "scratch" on is knee puck.

Good luck, Chris. Hope to see you soon, one way or another!

Canali

Great story from an even better person. We'll miss you Chris and wish you the best during your break from the track.

geckert

Awesome story, shows how helpful Nesba is and how anyone can come and join us on the track. The title is so true for me also. Ive done some stupid things on the street and I see so many people doing it today and only wish they would know about trackdays. After my first TD I never did anything crazy or illegal again on the street again. After seeing the freedom and safety on the track the street just cant match it. I know if I wouldnt have found Nesba and racing I would have ended up crippled or sitting in jail. Great story and anyone who is on the fence about trying a trackday you really need to just come and do it. Its not as difficult or intimidating as it might seem!

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Chris thanks for posting this, the next step was to call you or come to your house.;) I can’t totally speak for others how you’ve helped them, all I know you have helped me tremendously and I really do appreciate it. What stuck with the most is “Vinny you gotta pin it!” good times for sure! I know we’ll see you occasionally until then, take care my friend.

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
Great recap Chris! Your dedication and enthusiasm will certainly be missed at the track. Keep in touch buddy.

denbsteph

Bravo!, Bravo! very nice. Please tell me you are going to be at YCRS for the 13th and 14th?, you promised me a tow and taking a picture of me flying by Mr.Daytona in a wheelie ;) If not, I hope things are well and with out issue.

Dennis

PJZOCC624

Outstanding writeup, Chris! We all have our moments and reasons to step away. It was tougher for me than I thought it'd be. Good luck to ya!

dt4629

I just joined NESBA, and about to have my first track day ever on 6/16. This story helped me feel so much better and confirmed my decision to join NESBA. Hope to meet everyone soon.

mike_21

Control Rider
Chris, your post takes me back to my first track day. Gonna miss you. Hope you come back soon. Good luck in your next adventure!

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
Hey Chris! Who the hell am I gonna bum cigarettes from now?:notsure: LOL! Great story, and yes it would have been a justified wounding!:wow: I'm gonna miss you out there! Stay safe and take care of the other things in life right now. You'll be back soon, so I won't say goodby but I will say I'll see you when you get back!!:D

needasixr

It seems like a lifetime ago this fellow B rider at Jefferson couldn't push start his R1. Who knew a year later that goofball would be towing me around as a CR? Sincerely gonna miss you, Chris. Stay in touch.

R1Baby

Control Rider
Your story is very similar to my own, I can relate. First bike was a Harley, got bored, bought an R1 and needed to learn how to ride it. Found NESBA on line, life changer for me also. Good luck with your venture, and see you back soon.

Smithereens

Control Rider
N2
I'm not saying goodbye ...... just that I'll see you soon .......
I know your write-up was from the heart and we'll all miss you while you're doing what you have to do for now.
Pigs do fly......I've seen it!