New AMA Racing

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
kubricky;40349 wrote: Oh and lemondrop...sliding across the start finish line on your ass doesn't count as a lap and Jim is F-R-A-N-T-Z pronounced "ghey"...sorry boys couldn't resist.
seemed to work well for Ricky Bobby:dunno::rolleyes:

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Chris, you think I'm whining? No, I'm very disappointed in the way things are developing. I don't remember a time when coverage was live, but at least it was close to the actual event. Who is watching Speed on Sunday night at 11pm? Speed has reruns of Bullrun on for two hours. Why not show the races then and let us DVR it or actually watch it. Someone posted that DMG pays for the slots and it may very well be their fault and not Speed. But, Speed has a history of limiting the coverage of motorcycle road racing. I'm sure there are a lot of drag boat people out there wishing for more coverage too.

As far as I know, you are the last person to lecture people on crashing. You had a good year, but I think you still hold the Nesba record for times hitting the ground! And you should know it's Gay, not ghey. Backlash over!

kubricky

Control Rider
Director
bwahhh...awww girls...I'm just playing along, I am out of winter hibernation and awake...

As far as Speed goes and the coverage, I read something (may have been here or WERA...seriously, I've been hibernating...mind and body) the jist of which was this: the way in which Edmonson is handling things so that maybe he can do away with the AMA completely and rebuild a two-wheeled empire under his own brand.

For the conspiracy theorists that makes some sense but the more I thought about it and tried desperately to make some sense of the fiasco, the AMA doesn't sell...right now...NASCAR does and unfortunately we have to accept it...we don't have to like it. With the economy in the proverbial crapper and the mental midget majority still pissing money for budweiser and NASCAR, I am happy there is a two-wheeled series.

I agree with your disappointment in the coverage and I am just giving you guys grief as I try a new nicer Chris tactic to just highlight the good.

oh and I hold a record...that is awesome...I hold a record beeatches!

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
maybe we should start running moonshine through different counties...trying to outrun the cops.....

just throwin' it out there......

jsin38

lemondrop;40366 wrote: maybe we should start running moonshine through different counties...trying to outrun the cops.....

just throwin' it out there......
I see a recurring Southern theme with you :D

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I don't know about you guys, but I'm watching the race on SPEED right now. The time mentioned above must be the re-airing.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
No, you and I just watched the Daytona 200. Supposedly, the race started 30 minutes before it started airing. I loved that race. Make a race long enough with pit stops, pace cars and lots of lapped traffic and it makes for some exciting racing. The airing in two weeks is the Superbike race from yesterday. Thank you Speed for airing at least one race on the same day as it occured.

gixercrew

it was an intresting race if you like nascar on two wheels poor disalvo and hayer they worked hard and fell short

JRA

I thought the race was a total fiasco. Everyone is very lucky the "safety" car didn't get someone killed, especially Tommy Aquino. Full course cautions, lights that didn't work, waving the leader by the pace car sending him around to the back of the field again (this has happened before), rolling starts, etc. Way to much NASCAR in the race for me. I think it's too bad for the racers because there is some real talent in the series, but I definitely won't be following AMA racing like I used to.

Back before the Speed Channel became Speed/Nascar Channel, they showed both Superbike and the Supersport race live, all the races from Daytona were shown live, and they actually had a good announcing crew with Despain, Sadowski, Brian Drebber, Larry Maiers, etc. Ralph Sheheen and Freddie just need to go away. For motorcycle race announcers they seem to know very little about the actual racers and even the motorcycles they are racing. Freddie has a long history of mispronouncing riders names and talking more about himself than the actual race. Sheheen couldn't say Bermisderfer, which I'll admit is a mouthful, but it's still no excuse for not being familiar with the riders in the race you are announcing. And then, when he said the Triumph was a twin I was ready to turn the sound off.

Seriously, everybody had to see how similar that race was to a Nascar race, right?

jcrich

DMG is taking the tack that the hardcore roadracing fan base is not large enough to support the sport. They are making the attempt to try to attract people that otherwise have not really been interested in motorcycle roadracing. The "safety" car, long yellow flags periods, rolling starts etc. are all attempts to NASCARize the sport as John pointed out above. This in their minds will make the sport more appealing to the masses. It is pretty obvious to me that they are not interested in what long time fans of the sport think or care. I understand what they are trying to do, but I quite frankly do not believe that it will work.

The reason for the crash and injury to Tommy Aquino is just unbelievable. DMG obviously did not do enough to inform the riders adequately to be prepared for the stupid "safety" car and when it would be on the track. It is beyond luck that no other riders were injured in the chaos that ensued that caused Tommy's crash.

Well, there is always WSBK and MotoGP. Rest in Peace AMA Racing.

justariot66

The AMA run series has been unprofessional crap for years, now that dmg bought it it is PROFESSIONAL crap.
Superbike series is a joke, they have neutered those bikes and its a shame.
The Daytona 200 was aweful, no I know the announcers are a joke but I would like to hear what they have to say. Is it that they care so little about this new little series they didnt "mike" it correctly or is it that who ever "miked" it isan asshole? You could only hear the announcers like 20 seconds each lap.
I don't care what you say NOBODY cares about new up and commers unless you can WATCH THEM! If I have to wait 3 weeks to see people I don't even know (and i know the results) why the hell would I watch it.
The death rattle of the series is the tape delay aspect, if Bullrun can be aired 7 times a week why cant I see racing live or later the same day or HELL even tuesday. Its aweful and Edmundson should hang his head for this amalgam of racing and broadcast.

Dave

Motofun352

Control Rider
In a word.........It sucked. Fell asleep. I'm bummed out. Watching Spies and Haga go at it will be the only thrill this year.:cool:

LongDogRacing

wow. i have it DVR'ed, but really don't know if I need (or want) to watch it based on all the feedback on this forum and others.

tiggen

Ditto on the pace car fiasco, John. Can the riders sue DMG/AMA for negligence? How about for just sucking?

Also, I admit that I have been watching moto racing for only about three years, but has Jamie Hacking always run the # 88?

What about the ticker at the top of the screen, too? It only showed position change, last lap, and fast lap. How about a top speed? These guys ever heard of a speedtrap? And since so many riders have changed manufacturers, it would be helpful to know who is riding what.

Oh, and how about the fact that Honda sponsored the "Daytuna 200" and at the end of the race when they showed the results not one Honda was listed. I know factory Honda was out, but there were Hondas in the race, right? Zemke...somebody?

And where can I ge a Triumph twin???!

JRA

The only difference between what I saw last night and what I've been seeing over the last four years or so is the rolling starts. It's a total mess every year and last night was no different.

I don't care if they don't show AMA Supersport until later, but they should show the premier class on the weekend that the races are actually run. And, the whole idea of letting the fans decide what the premier class is...is it Superbike or Daytona Sportbike? I mean really, they run Super Pole for both events, but don't show that live, don't show the races live, don't hype either championship as being the top level? WTF is wrong these people?

I do seriously disagree with the OP's opinion that the top two guys in Supersport are nobodies. Anybody who follows the club racing scene knows who these guys are, in fact they would know who almost all of these guys are. This series is really what Supersport racing should have been all along, so in this regard I think DMG is doing it right, at least the rules anyway.

JRA

tiggen;40442 wrote: Ditto on the pace car fiasco, John. Can the riders sue DMG/AMA for negligence? How about for just sucking?

Also, I admit that I have been watching moto racing for only about three years, but has Jamie Hacking always run the # 88?

What about the ticker at the top of the screen, too? It only showed position change, last lap, and fast lap. How about a top speed? These guys ever heard of a speedtrap? And since so many riders have changed manufacturers, it would be helpful to know who is riding what.

Oh, and how about the fact that Honda sponsored the "Daytuna 200" and at the end of the race when they showed the results not one Honda was listed. I know factory Honda was out, but there were Hondas in the race, right? Zemke...somebody?

And where can I ge a Triumph twin???!
The pace car has always screwed things up so that was just status quo. It creates more problems than it solves, and it is a major safety issue I think. If there is an incident that requires more than a waving yellow in a particular turn they should just red flag the race.

The timing and scoring was screwed up. At the end of the race it showed it showed Josh Herrin in first place. They quickly took that down from the TV feed, but I have read that there were serious issues with it last night. The only reason I can think of that they weren't showing top speed is that this is the class DMG really wants to be the main show, and these bikes are a lot slower than the Superbikes. It wouldn't look good for everone to see Pegrams Ducati hitting 199 MPH and the supposed premier class bikes of the Daytona 200 doing 180.

Hacking has been number 2 the last few years but with the new rules the teams have to reserve the numbers and the numbers stay with the team not the riders. Almost all of these guys are running different numbers but I don't think it will take too long to figure who is running what. It sucks for the racers who have built a name and association around a particular number though. Could you imagine Nicky having his 69 taken away from him? What about Michael Jordan if he had been forced to take another number late in his career? Just another example of the nascar influence taking over.

dlockhart5x

JRA;40444 wrote: The only difference between what I saw last night and what I've been seeing over the last four years or so is the rolling starts. It's a total mess every year and last night was no different.
:agree:
When was the good 200? It has always been a CF.

JRA

I thought when Miguel won it with a broken leg over Mladin in 1999 was one of the greatest of all time.

It seems like since I've been paying attention there have always been fiascoes associated with races at Daytona. Serious injuries, a near miss with an ambulance, tire testing disasters, pace car ridiculousness, just to name a few, but there have been some good races too, especially in the sprint races.