New from Pittsburgh, Thanks, and a Question

D52

Hey everyone!

My name is Dustin and I live right outside of Pittsburgh. I’m finally getting around to joining the forum after attending four track days this year (2 at PittRace and the September weekend at NCBike) on my Daytona 675R. I was still a bit indifferent to everything after the first day, but decided to go again the following month, this time enrolling in ATP. This allowed me to focus on a few specific skills and helped to provide some structure to the sport, which ultimately allowed me to enjoy it more. So for that, I’d like to say thanks to Rob for putting together a great program at the last minute for a friend and myself. I definitely enjoyed my weekend in NC much more because of it. In fact, I enjoyed everything so much this year that I went out and picked up another Daytona specifically for the track! It came from a longtime Team Pro-Motion rider in CT who is getting out of the sport. Looks like I’m fully committed now… :D

Which leads me to my question…

Any recommendations for a Western PA mechanic who does quality suspension work? I’m about 50lbs lighter than the original owner of my new bike so adjustments and different springs are most likely in order. (Race tech forks and elka shocks.) The previous owner had much of his work done at Markbuilt in NJ, and while I’ve heard great things about them, their location isn’t really all that convenient for me.

Thanks in advance for any information and I’m looking forward to meeting some of yinz in person next year!

tdelegram

Control Rider
Distin,

Welcome aboard, I grew up in bethel park and am down by Washington now. Email me at:

Tdelegram@deloitte.com

And I'll get you some local race tech guys as well as connected with Thermosman, google him!

Tom

fowlplayracing

Steve
Control Rider
Welcome Dustin!
Hit up Brian Wendl (03bueller) when you get a chance. He's a 675er too and I'm sure he would be more than happy to provide you with some advice!

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Dustin,

Welcome. I also live just outside of Pittsburgh (south hills). I'd be happy to help you out. Like Tom, I can hook you up with Jon Tyus from CTR as well as Rick from Cogent or others. Let me know if you want to talk.

Bill

D52

Thank you all for the warm welcomes! And yes, the addiction is present, haha!

The recommendations for suspension gurus are also greatly appreciated! I'll admit I'm not well-versed with suspension so I was leaning towards someone local that I could interact with 1-on-1, but I will certainly look in to the suggestions listed above.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Dustin,

I did not find anyone who I was comfortable with dealing with track suspension anywhere in the Pittsburgh region. I did use one provider for RaceTech cartridges that had been "recommended" by RaceTech - however that was not a good experience, and the cartridges had to be rebuilt by Livengood in Atlanta. I've since decided that it's easier and better to deal over the phone with people who are well known than to experiment locally - for my Racetech, Ohlins and Nitron stuff. Just my 2 cents. Good luck no matter what you decide to do.

ChucktownRC

Control Rider
Welcome! I have been working with Mike Fitzgerald aka The Thermos Man for a few years now and have nothing but great things to say. He is the most knowledgeable suspension man in the nation. He can set up the suspension up from his house and then you can get it tuned at the track depending on the conditions. If you feel like learning some things about suspension you can always youtube Dave Moss videos from On The Throttle and his owns videos for tuning at the track.

gcally

Greg Callahan #11
Welcome! I have been working with Mike Fitzgerald aka The Thermos Man for a few years now and have nothing but great things to say. He is the most knowledgeable suspension man in the nation. He can set up the suspension up from his house and then you can get it tuned at the track depending on the conditions. If you feel like learning some things about suspension you can always youtube Dave Moss videos from On The Throttle and his owns videos for tuning at the track.

I second this statement. Mike is one of the most humble and honest guys to talk to. He has traveled all over the US/World tuning suspension for pro level teams but will still spend the time on the phone with anyone that needs help.
I am a dealer for Traxxion Dynamics and I still get my personal stuff done by T-Man!