New guy from Bloomington, IN

Steward

Hey! Is there room for one more new guy on the track?

I got a late start on my riding career compared to most of you. I'm 46 and been riding for 13 years now. I've mostly done long distance touring until the last couple of years. Made the switch from cruisers to sport touring bikes and now a sport bike.

My reason for joining NESBA and getting on the track is pretty simple.... I want to become a better rider. I find myself pushing the limits a bit too far on the street so I figure it's time to take it to the track.

I took Lee Park's Total Control Class last summer and had a blast. I've read Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch and Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist to try to better prepare myself. Oh yeah... if you can't tell already, I'm an engineer. We tend to overanalyze everything we do! :rolleyes: :doh: :D

Anyhoo, my first track day is this Saturday (May 2nd) at Putnam Park. I'm very excited and a bit nervous .... I've had way too much time this winter to think about all this.

Really look forward to meeting some Nesba members.

Dave Steward

beac83

Welcome Dave. If you are staying for Sunday, come by and say hi. Fellow engineer here (there are more than a few of us :haha:)

You will love Putnam. See you out there.

nodakgus

There will be a couple of 40 plus accountants from St. Louis at Putnam on Saturday (and Sunday). Look for a blue-grey BMW and silver/black CBR sitting side-by-side and you will have found us! I have been accused more than once for being a "little over the top" on details...Oh well...sometimes you have to :rtfm:

Steve:D

cliplizard

Steve, A BMW on a track?:eek:
Ive been told that what you are doing is inappropriate and that a BMW is not a "Track Weapon":notsure:.
I'll be riding the silver R Bike and am jealous of your bhp.

cliplizard

Steward;51599 wrote: Hey! Is there room for one more new guy on the track?

I got a late start on my riding career compared to most of you. I'm 46 and been riding for 13 years now. I've mostly done long distance touring until the last couple of years. Made the switch from cruisers to sport touring bikes and now a sport bike.

Really look forward to meeting some Nesba members.

Dave Steward
Dave, welcome to Nesba. i too, turned 40 and bought my first bike last July. i got suckered into taking my TOURING/sport BMW to a NESBA event in September. I am so hooked.

Im from Bloomington but live on southside of Indy now. i have a silver BMW, please say hello on Sat or Sun. if you need anything (your bike trailered to the track) or whatever, let me know. Ray

nodakgus

cliplizard;52033 wrote: Steve, A BMW on a track?:eek:
Ive been told that what you are doing is inappropriate and that a BMW is not a "Track Weapon":notsure:.
I'll be riding the silver R Bike and am jealous of your bhp.
A BMW in your hands is a track weapon! :adore: :D

Steward

Thanks for the welcome guys. Sorry I didn't get to meet you all on Saturday. Ray - Thanks for the offer of trailering and assistance.

The first day was great. By the fourth session I was settling in and feeling much more comfortable than the start of the day. By the sixth session I was having great fun! Followed a control rider for almost all of the 6th session and he really helped me clean up my lines. The CRs do a heck of a job in teaching and keeping the event well organized. Can't wait for the second track day!

Dave
B Group #33

RandyO

was a lot of fun.. you had a good pace going at the end of the day.. big old 1300 was having fun behind you :) see ya the 13th

Motofun352

Control Rider
Steward;51599 wrote: Hey! Is there room for one more new guy on the track?

I got a late start on my riding career compared to most of you. I'm 46 and been riding for 13 years now. , I'm an engineer. We tend to overanalyze everything we do! :rolleyes: :doh: :D

Dave Steward
Hi Dave, As a fellow Engineer (Nuclear), don't sweat it. I started on the track when 54. My kids are older than some of the other riders:D. The only "disadvantage" to being a little older than some of the other folks out there is that whole no fear thing. We all know that's just BS anyways.

RandyO

Dave, save me a spot.. :) will be in around 6:30 with any luck.. we are driving in from Ft Wayne instead of staying in town (had to work tomorrow)

Hope the rain is not too bad...

Steward

RandyO;61803 wrote: Dave, save me a spot.. :) will be in around 6:30 with any luck.. we are driving in from Ft Wayne instead of staying in town (had to work tomorrow)

Hope the rain is not too bad...

Cool. My brother and I will be there. Cya tomorrow.

There will be no more talk of rain allowed! ;)

#33 'B'

Steward

RandyO;76758 wrote: hey you running Sat or Sun in Sept?
I'm signed up for Saturday the 5th at Putnam. I'd like to do Sunday too, but I think I'll wait for the weather forecast before committing to that one.

I'm also doing the BP Concepts Day on Thursday, Aug 27th (day before MotoGP).

Dave S
MW B #33

Steward

Suh-weet! You'll have to be extra nice to the boss for green lighting the track days.

Hopefully, we will continue our streak of rain free days.

I've only done 4 days now, but I'm hooked! Still kicking myself for not doing this 20 years ago.

RandyO

Getting the time off rocks... getting the company to pay for the outing? golden :) Thursday I am stuck with the pontiac (Karen is taking nieces to Nashville to visit our grand daughter who is on transplant list for the 4th time)

Steward

RandyO;77149 wrote: Getting the time off rocks... getting the company to pay for the outing? golden :) Thursday I am stuck with the pontiac (Karen is taking nieces to Nashville to visit our grand daughter who is on transplant list for the 4th time)
Randy - Very sorry to hear about your grand daughter. She looks like a real sweetie. This kind of thing tears at my heart. Donation sent. It's not much, but I hope it helps.

I'm fired up to get back out there on the 27th!

Dave
MW B #33

RandyO

Hey what is with the sig? I saw another one that said the R1 was eaten on T1? whats up? and now you have a gixxer?

updates brother updates... :)