New guy in NC

ryangt

Hello N2,

Im new, and stationed in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. When i return from deployment this year, i will be looking to improve my riding skills in general and really love the idea of riding at the track where im not constantly riding for my life, like here in VA. I will be looking into track days in NC and VA, possibly PA and NJ depending on how much the addiction takes hold of me.

Im a new father, and trying to manage my hobbies and family on a budget, so im very interested in ways i can keep costs down on gear and maximize my fun. I dont own leathers yet, or dedicated riding boots so im still in the safety gear acquisition phase at the moment, but am looking to ride garysburg in July if possible.

I look forward to meeting you all at the track,

Ryan

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! Get the best gear you can afford. Sometimes there are good deals on closeout. Check sportbiketrackgear.com for starters. If you're planning on using the leathers on the street, a 2 piece is more versatile, but for the track make sure it has a full circumference zipper, not the short one that only goes across the back. Otherwise, a 1 piece is preferred if you'll only use it on the track.

Congrats on your little one, and thanks for your service!

CBRtist

Ditto on the welcome! Judy seems to have covered you on the gear. As a new father, if you plan to bring the family to any track and need tips on any of that, let me know, I have 8 years of it. My daughter was born and raised at the track (ok, well not born, but brought as an infant and up). Seems like you might be hitting some of the same tracks, so if you see me around, please say hi.

On a side note (and if you become addicted as guaranteed you will), your significant other is more than welcome to join our Womens Forum on here. It is private and it is not just for women that ride track but all women who have questions/concerns about the track and its environment from our perspective and make it an enjoyable experience for them whether they ride or spectate!

ryangt

Hello Judy and Wendy, and thank you for the warm welcome as well as your support of the military and our families.

I have been shopping leathers for a while now, but hesitated to buy as i had never needed a set. I figure that if i keep a budget in mind and try to spend about 1000.00 on dedicated track gear, ill be keeping it affordable and fun still, I can always upgrade gear as i need to.

I feel like my bike is pretty much ready for the track, I ride an 04 Buell XB12R, its a lot of fun on a nice twisty road, so im really looking forward to seeing what she can do on the track. I did just upgrade a few parts, some ASV levers, EBC brakes and a GPR stabilizer to make sure the bike keeps its manners.

Since i will be bringing my family most likely, i would be very interested to know anything i could do to make the experience more enjoyable for them. My son is 18 months old, so he is able to toddle around pretty well. Im sure my wife would be very interested in learning more, since im in the process of getting her into riding at the moment, she thinks a fun and safe environment to ride in seems like a great idea..

ryangt

Also, am i missing something with this avatar thing? I keep trying to upload a picture, but its giving me a "not a valid image" error... Ive tried resizing, different file types and still not loading correctly.... This could also be an issue related to me being on a ship in the middle of nowhere.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Can't help with the avatar, lol, and Wendy can give better tips on little ones at the track. But, for starters, for your comfort and theirs, bring shade (ez up or similar generic brand-and make sure it's tied down at all 4 corners to something relatively heavy!), and chairs. If you don't get to purchasing a canopy, post up what date you'll be at and see if someone can share their pit area. Bring sunscreen, hats, lots of water/gatoraid/other electrolyte replacement, snacks, lunch (can purchase at most tracks, but much less expensive to bring your own).

Awesome that your wife wants to learn to ride!! Do point her towards our women's section. Once she signs up for the forum and selects "female" she should have access. It's a subforum on here.

AdamG14

Welcome Ryan. I too am just getting started. Cycle Gear in my area has had good close out deals on the previous generation Alpinestars Motegi suit. I was able to pick one up for just $600. Maybe the still have one in stock in your size, that helped my budget quite a bit.

My wife rides on the street and she really enjoys it. I'll have to tell her about the special forum on here. She'll be at most events with me as well.

Good luck shopping!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Welcome! Looks like NCBike will be your home track, not a bad drive at all. To mirror what Judy said, Sport bike track gear has a good selection of gear and hassle free exchanges for different sizes if you need it. They also provide some awesome discounts for the military - worth giving them a call!

Myers

Control Rider
Welcome aboard The! Safe travels on the way back. Your family is going to love the experience of a weekend camping trip at the track! Bring plenty of shade and fluids...and whatever you forget...the track family will have and help you out! See you out there!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

coholm

Hey Ryan, so where are you at in Hampton Roads? I live in the Roland Park neighborhood in Norfolk. I'm just getting started also. Planning on making it to NCBike tack day may 28-29 for my first.
Chad

ryangt

Hey Ryan, so where are you at in Hampton Roads? I live in the Roland Park neighborhood in Norfolk. I'm just getting started also. Planning on making it to NCBike tack day may 28-29 for my first.
Chad

I actually live just across the NC border south of Chesapeake but commute and work at Naval Station Norfolk. I will have to wait towards the end of summer to make it to an event, ISIS keeps messing up my plans.