New guy in need of advice

Bucket

Hi all. I have been bit by the race bug. I have been on dirt bikes since I was 10 and had a street bike almost since I got my license, but I always had dual sports and cruisers. I recently bough a 650 V-Strom and love the feel of laying it into the turns. I know it's far from a sport bike, but it has sparked the interest of hitting the track. I am hoping to spend the winter getting set up to make a few laps next summer, but I'm not sure where to start. I want a bike with enough balls to pull the front end at the twist of the right hand. I know that I will probably never outride any of the bikes capability, and I doubt I will spend enough time to really get good, but I'd like to have something that will be fun to play on a few times a year.

I see a lot of people suggest the SV650, but I'm afraid it will feel too much like my V-Strom. Anyone have any suggestions that will keep this old guy happy? Keep in mind that I am very new to the race bikes and I am open to any and all suggestions.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I've never ridden either, but the SV650 feeling like your V-strom isn't necessarily a bad thing (if they'd feel similar, I don't know); it'll feel familiar to you and will help your comfort level and confidence. The SV650 does make a great track bike, and you'll probably be able to find one that's been set up for track-only with the suspension and other goodies on it.

Other than that, perhaps a 600 inline 4? I wouldn't get bigger than that. No liter bikes!

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Welcome to NESBA! Just so you know if you have the race bug you may not get the answers you want -- we ride track days fast. You can post this in the race sections for some hits...:agree:See you out there!

Domiken

An SV650 is what I started with, amazing bike to hit the track with and cheap/easy to buy and modify. The SV helped me a ton, especially forcing me to carry more corner speed, be smoother, and brake later so I could keep up/pass the inline 4's, now that I have the R6 I carry even more corner speed and now have the power I was missing in the straights. It was a great bike to me, and I learned a ton. I see a lot of new track rider buddies who just rely on the inline 4 power in the straights but are snails in the turns (most beginners also do the same), I would highly recommend the SV. Check out svrider.com for a ton of info on these bikes. I still have the SV (a 1k now, not the old 650) which I love as a street bike.

EddieRo

HondaGalToo;289617 wrote: The SV650 does make a great track bike, and you'll probably be able to find one that's been set up for track-only with the suspension and other goodies on it.

Other than that, perhaps a 600 inline 4? I wouldn't get bigger than that. No liter bikes!
:agree:

My first track days were on a first gen R1. I've since moved to a track only CBR 600. I've learned tons on the 600 and will track my R1 again at some point but agree that a 600 is the way to go. Hear lots of good things about SV's.

Welcome!

mike574

HondaGalToo;289617 wrote: The SV650 does make a great track bike, and you'll probably be able to find one that's been set up for track-only with the suspension and other goodies on it.

:agree:

FZ1guy

I started with and still ride track on a FZ1. Tons of power in the straights but heavy in the turns. And the bars are way unsuitable.
I'm wondering the same thing, what should I get for a track bike. I like the SV650 and there are deals and parts everywhere. I like the GSXR600 for the same reasons, and I do like 4 bangers. But then there's the R6. I've always been Yamahammer guy. Tough decision.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
FZ1guy;289728 wrote: I started with and still ride track on a FZ1. Tons of power in the straights but heavy in the turns. And the bars are way unsuitable.
I'm wondering the same thing, what should I get for a track bike. I like the SV650 and there are deals and parts everywhere. I like the GSXR600 for the same reasons, and I do like 4 bangers. But then there's the R6. I've always been Yamahammer guy. Tough decision.
None of your choices are bad options. All of these platforms are great choices and a ton of fun.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Bucket;289612 wrote: Hi all. I have been bit by the race bug. I have been on dirt bikes since I was 10 and had a street bike almost since I got my license, but I always had dual sports and cruisers. I recently bough a 650 V-Strom and love the feel of laying it into the turns. I know it's far from a sport bike, but it has sparked the interest of hitting the track. I am hoping to spend the winter getting set up to make a few laps next summer, but I'm not sure where to start. I want a bike with enough balls to pull the front end at the twist of the right hand. I know that I will probably never outride any of the bikes capability, and I doubt I will spend enough time to really get good, but I'd like to have something that will be fun to play on a few times a year.

I see a lot of people suggest the SV650, but I'm afraid it will feel too much like my V-Strom. Anyone have any suggestions that will keep this old guy happy? Keep in mind that I am very new to the race bikes and I am open to any and all suggestions.
Track days are a great way to get a feel for a closed course environment. You can work on technique in a less stressful environment. When you do decide to take the plunge and go racing, if you visit the tracks you will be racing on, you won't be going out there green trying to learn a new track AND try to be competitive at the same time.

Many NESBA riders that do end up going racing do VERY well.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I would strongly advise taking on track days, not racing your first year. You get MUCH more seat time per dollar on track days vs race days, and seat time is something you'll need until you get comfortable riding the track.

Bucket

Thanks for the words gang, but to sound like a complete idiot...what are "track days"? I am assuming they are like the test and tune at the drag strip?

As for the bike, the more I read about the SV, the more I find it has a very loyal following. But I want something that is going to make me go WOW, when I get off it campared to my V-Strom, and I'm not sure the SV will do that. Am I looking for too much? I guess I'm assuming that the in-line 4's are a lot more powerfull than my 650? Is that the case?

Next, can someone point me to a list of stuff I will need to hit the track, or at least a quick run-down of what I will have to have.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Hi Bucket, nope, trackdays are not "test and tune" days. Trackdays are run by several orgs, Nesba included. They are NOT racing, they are NOT competitive. In order to run at a trackday, you need to join one of the organizations (I recommend nesba!:D). You pay a membership fee, and sign up for a day. Riders are grouped by skill level: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced. There are passing and other rules. It's about learning and safety. Each group gets a 20 minute session, which rotates throughout the day. All the orgs have "coaches". At nesba they're called control riders, or CRs. They are in orange shirts and are there to help you become a better rider, with advice on lines, body position, etc.

At the top of this page is a tab "manuals & forms". In there you'll find the Riders' Manual. Read through it, it'll tell you what's required and what a typical day is like. It'll tell you what gear is required, and what needs to be done to prep your bike.

I still think the SV is a good choice. The "wow" factor on a road course doesn't come from outright power and top end speed like a dragstrip. It comes from getting the line right through a turn, from getting body position correct, from improving corner speed. That's why the lower cc bikes are much better to learn on. The "wow" factor from a high powered liter bike will hinder your learning, IMHO. You'll learn more on a smaller bike.

In the morning, you register and your bike is teched. Then there's a rider's meeting where the rules are gone over. Then a couple of more meetings for the Beginners, one after the general riders' meeting, and one at lunch.

Sign up in the Beginner group, no matter how many years you've been street riding. Track riding is a whole 'nother animal.

Any other questions, ask away!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
One other thing to mention...nesba has a "bump" or promotion system. The CRs will bump you to the next group when you're ready. I like it, it makes for more consistent groups, as opposed to the orgs that let you sign up for whatever group you *think* you belong in. Most people overestimate.

Bucket

Thanks again...I will check into a schedule for a track day. Unfortunately I think there is only one track any where near me(Pitt International Raceway Park)...and it's 2 1/2 hours away. Like I said, I have been on bikes all my life, but they have all been dirt bikes or heavy cruisers, so when it comes to zipping through the paved corners, I am a total beginner.

jcrich

Otto Man;289853 wrote: I would strongly advise taking on track days, not racing your first year. You get MUCH more seat time per dollar on track days vs race days, and seat time is something you'll need until you get comfortable riding the track.
I'll bet all the guys that started racing before track days existed would disagree with you. ;)

mike574

Why not just start with the V strom. Take it to the track and see if you like it before going all crazy. Aslo the SV is a great starter bike and if you have asperations of racing it also make a great race bike. I just started racing an SV last year and the LW classes are well attended and alot of fun. Much less nerve racking then griding up in the middle weight classes (AKA the meatgrinder class)

Also start with track days before racing, you get much more seat time for the money at a track day then a race weekend

FZ1guy

I ride a 500lb FZ1 at the track. I can blow by better riders in the straights, but at a track like Tally where the straights are shorter, I don't get many opportunities to pass before we are all knotted up in the turns. I'm in the market for a SV or gixxer600 or R6. Any fool can go fast in the straights.

FZ1guy

PawPaw;289972 wrote: 2004 or newer GSXR 750 plenty of power great handling!
Man, it killing me seeing all of the nice bikes for good prices on the forums right now.
I would consider a GSXR750. I don't want another liter bike now, but a 750 would haul my 230lb just fine. I like the SV because there is an incredible amount of stuff available for them.
I have to sell a 1976 CJ5 first. May have it sold.