New guy with a couple of electrical/power questions

Buckeye96

Good morning all,

New to NESBA and track days and I had a couple of questions:

1) How big a generator do I need to run tire warmers, and stuff in the trailer?

2) I have a 7000 watt generator. Is this too big/loud?

3) Does Beaverun, Summit, Nelsons Ledges, VIR and NJMP have shore power?

thanks

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
1) 2000 watts should be sufficient for one set of warmers, which draw around 1000-1500w, I think. How much other stuff do you need to power?

2) YES!! Too loud. Most 2000w are also too loud. (I have a 4000w for home usage when the power goes out and I would never bring it to the track) Honda EU2000 and the Yamaha 2000 or 2400 are the quietest, under 60 db (beware, the cheaper versions of these 2000w gennies claim to be ~60 db, but they are not). If you can stash it in the woods and run an extension cord, maybe, but that's not possible everywhere. Don't be that guy. Nothing worse than a loud genny running in the pits all day.

3) BeaveRun-no power. Summit Main (not Jefferson) and NJMP-yes. Nelson, I don't know

Welcome to NESBA!! Great group of folks here! I'll be at Summit, Beave, and NJMP this year, stop by and say hello!

Buckeye96

That's why I asked. I don't want to be that guy. I have our home generator and I wasn't sure if I should pick up a smaller one.

Thanks

fitz

HondaGalToo;179852 wrote: Nelson, I don't know
I think they are lucky to have running water.

limited electrical hookup rentals available

I don't remember if there were any in the padock area or not.

fitz

trailmug

At some tracks, large frame-rail generators makes sense with a 50-100ft extension cord.. put it in front of your tow vehicle. When someone sets up a 3600RPM lawn mower engine right next to my ez-up, that pisses me off. :p

I think a good benchmark is if you could have a phone call in your pit.

meganogin

My generator is listed at 68 Dba at 50 percent load. I think that is reasonable for a race track, with a long extension chord. Sorry, but I can't bring my self to spend a Grand on something I can't ride.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
trailmug;179993 wrote: I think a good benchmark is if you could have a phone call in your pit.
everyone knows, when i am at the track, cell phone is off and i regress to the 90's

Morrand

HondaGalToo;179852 wrote: Nothing worse than a loud genny running in the pits all day.
How about a loud genny running in the pits all night?

Agree that 7 kW is far more than you're likely to need (unless you are incurably pessimistic and really want to bring an arc welding setup). 2000 W seems to be the consensus number that I've seen; for most people, the trailer stuff only gets used over lunch and after hours, when the warmers can be unplugged in order to plug in the coffeepot (or whatever).

Buckeye96

I re-looked at the generator and its 5.5kw w/ a starting 8.5kw, but it was the one I had in case we lost power at the house.

I still think it will be too loud. So I am looking to pick up the Yamaha. Can't decide which one, but I have it narrowed down to that.

beac83

68dB is way too loud unless you park at the far end of the paddock, and use a 200 ft extension cord to move the genny even farther out.

Remember that dB is a logarithmic scale, so 10dB is a huge change in level. The Hondas and Yammis are in the 52-56 dB SPL (A-Weighted) level, measured a couple of feet away.

dlockhart5x

sometimes bigger is better

We often have 3-5 bikes on warmers and AC running in the trailer and a fan to dry helmets and
a microwave and in the mornings my brother has to have his coffey maker and sometimes a DVD player and TV and a compressor and usually a few cell phones on chagers and a lap top or three and maybe a vinyl cutter and.... you get the idea

It is a race track so noise during the day is expected just keep it oriented and at a fair distance to reduce the irritation. Meaning don't park it under your neighbors easy-up:haha:

slowpoke

JRA;180333 wrote: This is how I roll and it's not always enough. Try running the AC, a couple of sets of warmers, and then try to use the microwave. You'll get the little red light more often than not.:D

http://www.wisesales.com/EU6500iSA.html
Sanders has ^ this one too and it's a beast, but still quieter than the off brand 2000w gennys.

I've got the yamaha 4500 which runs 2 sets of warmers, + AC with power to spare OR 4 sets of warmers. IMO, Gens are like trailers, you can never go too big, BUT you can definitely go too small and end up paying twice.