New Handlebar Grips

Domenic

I need new handlebar grips. Had Gel Progrips but they are tearing apart after two years riding. Anything better out there for track riding?

jtsgsxr6

I just ordered a set of Renthal Road Race grips in firm compound. Should be in this week and I can let you know my initial impressions.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I like the Driven gel grips. I've had them for a couple of years. Like 'em better than ProGrips, and I was a huge fan of progrips. They will probably be shot after a couple of seasons, though.
I hear good things about Renthal, may try them next.

ronhix

The thinner Renthal grips (light gray ones) work well for me. They give really good feedback from the front. They don't last long, but they are inexpensive.

749scott

ronhix;135612 wrote: The thinner Renthal grips (light gray ones) work well for me. They give really good feedback from the front. They don't last long, but they are inexpensive.
x2 :agree:

mattf

+5 on the Renthals....been running both the yellow Kevlar and the new dual compound versions, both are great and seem to be holding up better than the Renthal full softs.

Domenic

Renthal grips it is!
Thanks everybody. Asking for opinions on this board gives me real trackrider feedback for a trackrider. Sooooo much better than some google review from some unknown magazine or some sport rider message board.

greeny

Domenic;135665 wrote: Renthal grips it is!
Thanks everybody. Asking for opinions on this board gives me real trackrider feedback for a trackrider. Sooooo much better than some google review from some unknown magazine or some sport rider message board.
just stay away from the hard compound. that's what i have on my bike due to availability at the time and i'm not a big fan - lots of vibration. go with either the med or soft and just plan on replacing them a little sooner.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
ronhix;135612 wrote: The thinner Renthal grips (light gray ones) work well for me. They give really good feedback from the front. They don't last long, but they are inexpensive.
:agree:

ronhix

greeny;135692 wrote: ... stay away from the hard... that's what i have ... due to availability at the time and i'm ... a big fan ... of vibration.
You have issues Bro.

gkotlin

Jedi Master Heath Locum once told me. "clipons with Renthal soft grips."

Heath has spoken. I comply.

madriders86

pfffffff just wrap a roll or two of baseball grip tape around the bar. You'll never have to replace that stuff and it feels goood maaaan.

Trent1098S

So, how does one go about removing / replacing grips? I want to salvage the grip on the old Ducati bar and it seems to be superglued on... :)

ERB68

Trent1098S;135826 wrote: So, how does one go about removing / replacing grips? I want to salvage the grip on the old Ducati bar and it seems to be superglued on... :)
Trent take a thin long screw driver and force it up between the bar and grip. Spray a mild solvent like WD-40 to help brake up the grip glue. Brake clean works real good and when dry will leave the adhesive attached.