New Here

MrQuickR1

Hello all.
I happened to receive a free credit/track day through the purchase of a Yamaha that I just recently was made aware of, not by my dealer:rolleyes:
From NJ, I did an ART Basic in 05 with TPM and a few things against me that day.
My Ex wife (still wife at the time) was a real wise ass and loved to torture me, so she kept me awake all night before my first ever track day. Just to spite me leaving the TV loud, wouldn't shut it off etc... My unknown of what to expect at the track (nerves) also played a role in keeping me awake all night. So by the time I had to leave in the morning, it felt like I was drunk almost.
Needless to say I was slow, and was so tired that towards the end of the day I stopped going out on my sessions. I learned a thing or 2 but never felt the addiction or need to go back. I also posted on their site as well how I wasn't happy about my day out.
First timers on the track should not be out with people already trying to advance to the next level (red) it causes confusion, and makes the newbs feel worse in a way. I almost felt left alone out there.

So in a nut shell, I had no desire to go back out to a track day. I have been itching to go again the last year or so to give it another try but had an 06 R1 and felt it was too much for the track. I sold the 06 and decided to take a break. But of course once I saw the R1 in person this year, the urge to get another bike came back, so I did it.

My main concerns are wrecking the bike on a low side or worse, having to get tires good enough for the track and street, maybe BT-003 R/S.
Never been with Nesba before, but have heard they are good as well.

I guess I'll have to play it by ear and see how the upcoming months pan out.
I'm from NJ, my track day was at Pocono East Pa in 05, If I do decide to try it again, I would start back in the beginners area and learn the right way with a full night of sleep.

Hope to get out there and hope to meet some of you

jas0336

welcome to NESBA. You were truly robbed your first time out.
You will find NESBA to be very accomodating to newer riders. The beginner group is well structured so you are at a slow pace until you get the feel for the track environment. You can also introduce yourself to the director after your riders meeting...let him know you are nervous and have him introduce you to one of the control riders for your group. If they know to watch you, they will help as much as they can. Usually they have the most time to help after the first or second session, once everyone has found a comfortable pace.
The main things are:
Get PLENTY of rest
Drink lots of fluids (water/gatoraide...avoid caffeine)
RELAX
RELAX
HAVE FUN
HAVE FUN
HAVE FUN

beac83

Welcome to NESBA. You have come to the right place for great instruction in how to ride smooth and fast.

I still get some bit of nerves before I start a track day, even though I've ridden since last July with NESBA. They go away as soon as I get on the track first session. +1 to the advice given above. Rest, relax, and have fun. If you have questions or feel lost, grab a CR and talk. They will bend over backwards to help if they know you want to learn.

Wear good gear and don't go over your head in terms of speed - you don't have to keep up with the fastest guy in your group if it's not comfortable - and you will be fine.

Have a great time! You will find that NESBA folks are friendly and helpful, so walk around the paddock and say Hi.

ZLTFUL

Notice a trend forming here? HAVE FUN!
This is what it's all about man.
NESBA is great for the instruction, no doubt about it. But it is also one of the funnest groups I have ridden with.
Don't worry about being slow your first day out. Everybody is. And those who think different, end up in the gravel trap outside of turn 8 at Road America. (Note to self...the left line is the fast group).

Have fun.
Relax.
Drink plenty of fluids (avoid caffeine).
HAVE FUN.

Yup...most definitely a trend developing.
Welcome to the addiction.

MrQuickR1

Thanks guys, That too was one of my problems, as I am a pretty aggressive street rider, that all goes away on a track as it is night and day. I was afraid to mess somebody up behind me if I was too slow or on the brakes too soon, or screw up a line.
I was more worried about behind me and others if they passed me, that I would do something and mess them all up.

I did feel robbed that day, as I do recall the first 2 sessions it felt so cool and a great feeling, but then after that it got faster and others that have been there already and used to it trying to get bumped up to the next level started moving pretty good and thats where I was trying to avoid messing them up coming up behind me in turns. i know it's frustrating for an experienced rider to be stuck behind a newb, I do believe I would love it had my first day been good. As we all know, first impressions are usually the last.
Maybe it was a combination of things, and not ever putting down the organization I tried out with, but as stated before, i felt alone out there most of the times and was all confused. The classes at the end of each session were also informative but not as much as I had hoped it to be.

Thanks again!

Brian Laws

Welcome to the club. I hope you make it out for one of our events soon. I'd highly recommend NJMP if you can squeeze in one of their dates.

Hambone

First, welcome to the club. I am not surprised that you didn't feel the need to come back after your first time out. It sounded like you had a bit of a tough time. Not getting enough sleep and seeing track speed for the first time is a bad combo. My advice would be to get a track day scheduled and then prepare for it. Get plenty of sleep and arrive well rested and prepared for a long day of fun. Post to the forum that you are going and on what dates. When you get there, get to know some people and just have fun. Find a few CR's and tell them your situation. There is a good chance that even if you don't see them, they will see you. Forget about what is going on behind you and who is trying to pass. If they need to get around you, they will. If you just concentrate on doing what you need to do, go at your own pace and you will have a great time. And then you will feel the addiction.

dudette

As stated before, :agree: do a njmp date. I have only done the thunderbolt course but I
have heard lightning is great too. If your bike is faily new the oem tires will do just fine at the track. Read the riders manual to make sure they have some tread left. I have a cbr600 and the bridgestone oem tires did just great...no worries.
When you go, just listen in the meetings and if something isn't clear, ask. Talk to other riders or talk to the "B" CR captain and let them know your concerns.
When you go, don't worry about holding anyone up. Focus on what is ahead of you. Go a speed you feel comfortable with and do you. Watch were the CR's are going on the track(line)...that is what they are showing you. Remember the first 2 laps in the first 2 sessions are yellow. NO PASSING UNDER YELLOW. That is so you can go around and see the layout, the line, braking markers, cones (entry/apex/exit of the corners) and find the corner workers stations. Have FUN.
Donna
07cbr600rr "I" #626