New in Southwest PA

weaponzero

Hi! I haven't registered for my first track day through NESBA yet, but hopefully it will be soon. I've done one track day in the past through another TD org and had a blast. I've got a new bike now (2014 Yamaha FZ-09) and after I've modded the bike somewhat to address the suspension issues I'd like to hit it on here, too. I do have a couple questions though that I'd like to ask someone who works for NESBA, if possible. I sent messages via the contact us link and got no reply =(

rob92

Control Rider
N2
Greetings and welcome to N2. Did you contact NESBA initially or N2? I did see your message come into the support queue just now, so someone will answer your questions about the Yamaha/program.

As for the track day itself, we have a lot of information online (see http://www.n2td.org). We typically start riders off in the Novice group where each rider will receive coaching and instruction by our control riders (CRs). We have a dedicated program designed to help orient new riders to the track day environment. You can get started by reading the riders manual. It will explain the various groups, how they're organized, and what you can do to prepare yourself and your motorcycle. Track days are NOT racing and the CRs are here to help you throughout the day.

Typical track day: http://www.n2td.org/track-days/typical-track-day/
Rider classes: http://www.n2td.org/track-days/rider-classes/
Rider's manual and documents: http://www.n2td.org/manuals-and-forms/

Welcome aboard!

weaponzero

I think my initial inquiry was sent via the NESBA contact page, not N2. I'm guessing the NESBA one is defunct. Sorry, was a bit confused about that part of it =)

Anyway, it won't be just me (hopefully) but also a friend of mine. I have one TD under my belt with another org, but they conducted it very differently in the novice group--when you weren't on the track, you were in a classroom discussing theory (which was mostly just going over things outlined in Twist of the Wrist II). My worry is that I've heard NESBA's beginner group runs at a pace that is in line with most other orgs' intermediate groups, and I know I am not ready for what they would call an intermediate pace.

My other friend I would be bringing, it would be his first track experience.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome to N2! I'm glad you got the contact stuff sorted out. The email contact, in addition to the excellent links Rob posted, is support@n2td.org which you may have already figured out.

Nesba's groups overall did seem a bit quicker. It may be similar with N2, since it will be a lot of the same faces, but worry not! You and your friend will be fine! We get brand-new-to-the-track riders all the time, as did nesba. However, N2 has a more structured, informative novice program designed to help you out.

What date(s) are you considering? If you have any other questions after reading the info in Rob's links, ask away!

weaponzero

It would definitely be one of the BeaveRun/PittRace days. Not 100% sure which, yet. It depends on whether or not my friend I mentioned is willing to make the trip for the earlier one or the later one.

I'm curious about the way the curriculum works as I hear NESBA/N2's novice instruction is a lot less classroom focused than other orgs. Is there a lot of one-on-one?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Yes, I have found that compared to other orgs, there is a lot more feedback from the CRs (control riders) following each on-track session. There are 2-3 classroom sessions, and any CR or staff member is available for any help/questions throughout the day. If you need more attention, just ask a CR in the novice group to help you out. At the end of each track session, the control riders stop at pit in to talk with the riders they worked with/observed.

Normally, riders are staged at pit-out, and a control rider is released, followed by maybe 6-10 riders, then another control rider, then another group of riders. Don't quote me on the numbers, it varies by class size and number of control riders, but that's the general idea. Additionally this year, N2 is attempting to assign control riders to the newest riders. Those control riders will take care of the newest riders for the day if the riders want. As the newest riders feel comfortable, they are "released" into the normal flow of the novice group. The decision is the riders'. This won't always be the case, as it will depend on the riders there that day, and the number of available control riders, but the goal is to give the newest riders the attention that they need to feel comfortable on the track.

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
Welcome to N2! We have a great Novice Group (Formerly know as "Beginner Group") Program. It is true that some of our Novice Group members ride at a pace that puts them in an intermediate group in other organizations. At N2 we look for several key skills that move you from one group to the next. Speed is just one aspect in getting the bump from Novice to Intermediate and Intermediate to Advance. Therefore, you have some fast people that just need one or two things to put together to show us they are ready for the bump running with folks like yourself that have just started their journey on the track. Remember that they ALL started out right where you are, getting ready to sign up for their first day. It will be the most fun you've ever had on two wheels.

steftoff

Welcome to the group. N2 is a great org. I recently ran my first day with this group but have been with other orgs for a few years now. I was questioning the pace of my group I was registered in (intermediate) but after my first session I felt right at home with the pace. These guys are top notch and will take great care of you. Don't worry about where you fit in. Just ride your ride and you will have a blast!!!! Good luck and enjoy your track time and new addiction. :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

weaponzero

Thanks everyone! I'll register for the next one I can do after I've paid all these dental bills I have for this reinfected root canal treatment.

Ducati Pete

Hey WeaponZero,

Be ASSURED.......... you will have no issues riding at N2. I started with NESBA two years ago and get this............... I NEVER rode a sportbike until I rolled onto a track at Summit Point....... AND I MEAN NEVER!!!! I rode dirt all my life and was running a sport touring bike for a year before going to the track with an old race bike I just bought.

What is most important to remember now and forever............. Ride Your Own Ride!!!! That is all that matters and everyone respects that. If you are slow, you are slow. If you are fast, you are fast. All that matters is you have a good time and never ride over your head. The instruction you will get is awesome and as you ride more, the whole thing all of a sudden starts to fall into place. Your speed, etc... go up and you simply continue having more fun.

ORDER that track day!!

By the way, I was 50 years old when I rode my first TD........... I wish I started years ago!!!!
Be Cool, Ride Fast
Pete