NEW LEATHER SUIT

Tom_Stinson

Hello,

I’m completely new to N2 and track riding. Doing research on leather suits. I see Alpinestars Fushion leather suit. This is made from leather and other materials for stretch that are just as strong if not stronger then leather per Van from STG. Will this suit be okay for track days? Just want to make sure before I spend $1735 on it! IMG_3518.jpeg

rpm894

You could probably go cheaper for your first suit if you wanted. Good chance your first suit isn’t going to be the perfect one you want long term. You will learn in time how a suit should fit and feel, how it will break in, how it will not break in, if you are serious about the sport, and what protectors and/or airbag you want to use.

For a little more, you could get a custom kangaroo suit.

Tom_Stinson

Can you help with recommendations for the numbering on my bike?

I will be using #828
How do you suggest I apply these to my bike? Where do I purchase them, what style looks best?

Tom_Stinson

You could probably go cheaper for your first suit if you wanted. Good chance your first suit isn’t going to be the perfect one you want long term. You will learn in time how a suit should fit and feel, how it will break in, how it will not break in, if you are serious about the sport, and what protectors and/or airbag you want to use.

For a little more, you could get a custom kangaroo suit.
Ya, I was reading about custom kangaroo suits. I’m headed to a local store today to try on some suits (different brands) to get a feeling for fit. Thank you for the input.

bmart

Control Rider
Have you looked for used or leftovers? That is a ton of coin for a first track day suit! If you look around, I would think that you could find something used and decent in the $300-$600 range. I'm a Vanson fan, but they're a touch heavy compared to Kangaroo.

Be sure to have decent protective gear, but leave some dosh for training too. It won't be long until you measure everything in tires...like the rest of us.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Can you help with recommendations for the numbering on my bike?

I will be using #828
How do you suggest I apply these to my bike? Where do I purchase them, what style looks best?
As long as they are large enough and have good contrast to the background so they can be read by the cornerworkers, it's fine. You can even make it out of painters tape if you want. This is a bike that will see both street and track? When I had a bike that did double-duty, I put vinyl numbers on a vinyl sheet. Then I just taped the vinyl sheet to the front of the bike. Made it a kind of removable number plate that was easy to reuse. The Riders Manual recommends 6 inch numbers, mine are probably 5. They can be on the front and/or the tail section. You don't have to do both.

Tom_Stinson

As long as they are large enough and have good contrast to the background so they can be read by the cornerworkers, it's fine. You can even make it out of painters tape if you want. This is a bike that will see both street and track? When I had a bike that did double-duty, I put vinyl numbers on a vinyl sheet. Then I just taped the vinyl sheet to the front of the bike. Made it a kind of removable number plate that was easy to reuse. The Riders Manual recommends 6 inch numbers, mine are probably 5. They can be on the front and/or the tail section. You don't have to do both.
Yes I will be using for street/track. I do have 3 bikes and may designate the bike I’m brining to track as a “track only bike”. Need to get out there to see first. I picked up 6 inch numbers and will figure out how I’m going to apply them. Also got a suit as well today. Now working on getting the trailer setup - I’m excited to meet new riders and learn from N2.

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hopefully 12th too? Straight to the top! Huge track, lots of fun. Many people claim it as their fav/best track in the east. Only real gripe; no track walks. Lots of room to spread out though, you'll have fun. Enjoy!

damiankelly

The tech air 7 just came out and is good protection with that suit.…Recommend wearing suit with vest for sizing.

If you are not investing in the air vest now make sure you size it to accommodate for a vest when you are ready.. 2¢

Tom_Stinson

Hopefully 12th too? Straight to the top! Huge track, lots of fun. Many people claim it as their fav/best track in the east. Only real gripe; no track walks. Lots of room to spread out though, you'll have fun. Enjoy!
No, can’t do the 12th as it’s Mother’s Day. I’m only 1 hr from the track. Planning to come Friday the 10th stay overnight nearby hotel and get into the track early AM.

I’m going to book more TD’s soon though. Depending on weather I may be booking an earlier date. Dying to ride if it ever stops watering from the sky!!!

Tom_Stinson

The tech air 7 just came out and is good protection with that suit.…Recommend wearing suit with vest for sizing.

If you are not investing in the air vest now make sure you size it to accommodate for a vest when you are ready.. 2¢
Man, I got the TechAir5 today! May have to exchange it for the 7??!!

damiankelly

Man, I got the TechAir5 today! May have to exchange it for the 7??!!
Your call- here is the difference….

The 7 will Zip into the suit under the liner and goes on/ comes off along with leathers. The 5 goes on/off separate and seems to be a PIA from what I hear.

The suit you are looking at is only for the AStars 5or10.

AStars race version compatible suits will be the only suit to accept the 7 vest. - it is not for the fusion-it needs the led lights on the sleeve.

Using the race vest will have a tether cord to attach to the sleeve LEDs to show that vest is armed.

OR - Look at an RS Taichi. They also have suits that will accept the race vest 7.

for example=https://motoliberty.com/collections/race?page=2. Talk to Audrey

ask guys that are using the 5 and see if they like it. I use the race version (zipped in under liner) and it is easier in my opinion.

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
No, can’t do the 12th as it’s Mother’s Day. I’m only 1 hr from the track. Planning to come Friday the 10th stay overnight nearby hotel and get into the track early AM.

I’m going to book more TD’s soon though. Depending on weather I may be booking an earlier date. Dying to ride if it ever stops watering from the sky!!!
If you're the hardy type, you can sleep at the track. There's grass for a tent if you aren't set up for car camping

bmart

Control Rider
Your call- here is the difference….

The 7 will Zip into the suit under the liner and goes on/ comes off along with leathers. The 5 goes on/off separate and seems to be a PIA from what I hear.

The suit you are looking at is only for the AStars 5or10.

AStars race version compatible suits will be the only suit to accept the 7 vest. - it is not for the fusion-it needs the led lights on the sleeve.

Using the race vest will have a tether cord to attach to the sleeve LEDs to show that vest is armed.

OR - Look at an RS Taichi. They also have suits that will accept the race vest 7.

for example=https://motoliberty.com/collections/race?page=2. Talk to Audrey

ask guys that are using the 5 and see if they like it. I use the race version (zipped in under liner) and it is easier in my opinion.
While you're at it, can you share some info about how many uses before a recharge and the way to and cost of recharges? Thanks!

CaseyAlbert

While you're at it, can you share some info about how many uses before a recharge and the way to and cost of recharges? Thanks!
I have an Alpinestars "Tech Air 5," the precursor to the "7," I believe. It is a "race" only vest. It comes with two charge canisters installed. Unfortunately, I have experienced it's qualities in both an "inflation" event, and a non "inflation event. Both, at PittRace, one of my two favorite tracks(Barber)!
The first event was in the rain last year when I tagged the paint stripe in Turn Two by "Pitt out." I was doing 83 mph when my rear launched me. When asked if my vest had inflated, I was not even sure. A few days later I started investigating and was quite certain that it had deployed so I sent it to Alpinestars. They informed me that one of the charges had deployed the vest, so repacked the "air bag" and installed a new cartridge. The cost was $300.00.
The "RACE" version of that vest has two cartridges. If you go down and are lucky enough to do no damage and are racing, you can get up and still have another cartridge.
My last event was in Turn Three on a cold morning at PittRace..... I think I might skip Turn Four for a while........
I lost the front(I knew it was cold and was not pushing, but apparently too much for my tires......) and pirouetted across and off the track. My vest did NOT deploy during that event, as it has parameters it has to meet to deploy. Fortunately, my helmet didn't touch the ground, and I had another set of leathers that I had in the closet. After that event, my wife asked me what my "motorcycle budget" was. I laughed so hard I couldn't see straight! I was awarded "pic" of the year for that one! I have a great series of pics of the "event" from start to finish, and as I walked away unscathed on that one, they are "priceless!"
I have been hurt, quite severely in the past. I MOST HIGHLY recommend that everyone should invest in some type of "VEST." IMHO, they should be MANDATORY, based on my personal experiences, with, and without(longer story)......